Author Topic: What did you learn today?  (Read 4213 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
What did you learn today?
« on: May 19, 2015, 03:05:18 AM »
Did you learn a new and interesting fact today? Post it up here!

Mine for today: Benoit Mandelbrot (of fractal geometry fame) wrote a book on economics in 2004 while in his late 70's called The (Mis)Behavior of Markets.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: What did you learn today?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 05:43:44 PM »
That an R-134A A/C system has a low plus/minus tolerance on the charging weight for proper operation.

Also ore information than I can recount here about vehicle A/C systems...I've redone A/C systems before in the DIY capacity but never knew the theory or proper diagnostics for them.

And do not under any circumstances use those cans of A/C recharge with the sealants and similar snake oil from the auto parts store...use straight refrigerant only

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 07:20:33 PM »
I learned that when a person calls their primary care provider and complains about chest pain, dizziness and passing out at random times and are told to go to the nearest ER they decide to go to Jack in the Box for lunch before they show up at the ER 3 hours later.   =|

Truthfully, I probably already knew this but it is nice to have my faith in dumbassery reconfirmed occasionally.  ;)

bob

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 07:28:26 PM »
I learned this one weird trick that doctors hate....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 07:58:17 PM »
Only one?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 08:09:24 PM »
I learned that chrome is considered a heavy metal, and less then 8000 micrograms/liter is enough to make water hazmat, requiring special disposal. All 18,000 gals of it.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 09:19:49 PM »
I learned this one weird trick that doctors hate....
I have this urge to click something here, but there is nothing to click.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 09:26:28 PM »
I have this urge to click something here, but there is nothing to click.

We demand banner ads!

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 09:27:58 PM »
I learned that chrome is considered a heavy metal, and less then 8000 micrograms/liter is enough to make water hazmat, requiring special disposal. All 18,000 gals of it.

Chromium in its unoxidized state isn't so bad.  Chromium IV (hexavalent or hexchrome) is breddy tough guy, the 1%er outlaw biker of heavy metals.

I learned how to put an eye splice in Amsteel, a12 strand dyneema (kevlar ) rope.
7-11 was a part time job.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 10:05:39 PM »
I learned that a co-op student takes a lot of time from your day, particularly if they are green.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 10:16:12 PM »
My Myron Ultrameter is in fact buoyant.  Something they advertised, but up until today I never had to actually test.   Buoyancy FTW.  

http://www.myronl.com/products/ultrameter_II.htm
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

jim in anchorage

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2015, 10:25:29 PM »
I learned how to make $500 a day at home on the internet. God it's so easy! Why didn't I know before :facepalm: :facepalm:

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2015, 11:04:23 PM »
I learned the proper way to bench cut a trail for proper drainage and sustainability.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2015, 11:27:33 PM »
We demand banner ads!

Get Tapatalk.  Wish fulfilled.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2015, 11:45:22 PM »
Today was Tuesday. I reserve Tuesdays for practicing old or recently learned skills/knowledge only.
Today I was subject to refresher training, when there is a threat of rain it will wait till just after you start mowing to begin raining.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2015, 11:55:31 PM »
I learned that sharpening your mower blades to a razor edge requires something sturdier than mechanic's gloves when trying to tighten the blade retaining bolt. I also learned that fabric bandaids conform around human thumbs much better than plastic bandaids.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re:
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2015, 01:01:59 AM »
I learned how I could save money by switching to GEICO.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2015, 01:18:54 AM »
We demand banner ads!

We could implement my pay-to-click idea from last April...

=D =D =D
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
What did you learn today?
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2015, 05:00:51 AM »
I learned that sharpening your mower blades to a razor edge requires something sturdier than mechanic's gloves when trying to tighten the blade retaining bolt. I also learned that fabric bandaids conform around human thumbs much better than plastic bandaids.

Brad

http://www.amazon.com/Arnold-BB-100-Buster-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B003RCJINI

Or

What I have:  http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=360819364907
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2015, 06:43:38 AM »
I keep getting older but high school girls stay the same age.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2015, 07:00:31 AM »
I learned that some snake-proof boots aren't.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/snakebit-company-recalls-snake-boots-after-demonstration-goes-wrong-n361391

"If he had died we would have handled the recall differently," the spokesman said.

Really, can you please go into more detail?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2015, 07:09:42 AM »
I keep getting older but high school girls stay the same age.

Odd, that.  My observation is that they are now allowing third-graders into high school.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2015, 07:28:58 AM »
Odd, that.  My observation is that they are now allowing third-graders into high school.

stay safe.

Based on my observations last night I wasn't looking at any third graders.  (Where is the dirty old man smilely?)

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2015, 08:59:38 AM »
The Boy Scouts have banned water gun fights because Boy Scouts are kind and pointing any kind of gun at people is not kind.

Lord Baden-Powell would not be amused.
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell