Author Topic: Explosion at Hornady plant  (Read 4216 times)

griz

• friend
Explosion at Hornady plant
« on: October 14, 2023, 11:21:37 AM »
One worker killed and two injured.  They're not one of the biggest but I'll bet the effects on the ammo market will still be felt.

https://nebraska.tv/news/local/fatal-explosion-at-hornady-manufacturing-under-investigation-in-wood-river
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Explosion at Hornady plant
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2023, 11:40:15 AM »
And combine that with this

According to multiple news sources, the Lake City ammo plant has cancelled all of its commercial contracts.

This means that stores will no longer be able to purchase ammo from Lake City, which currently supplies 30% of the civilian market for 5.56 ammunition.

Lake City Ammo Plant Cancels All Commercial Contracts
https://stapledefense.com/lake-city-plant-commercial-contracts/

Plus the mid east is going to be eating up supply.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2023, 02:01:50 PM »
Contracts must have had some sort of "escape clause" for them to be able to cancel without penalty.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2023, 04:40:54 PM »
Contracts must have had some sort of "escape clause" for them to be able to cancel without penalty.

I'm betting that cutting off commercial production as needed is actually part of their gov contract.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2023, 06:29:33 PM »
I'm betting that cutting off commercial production as needed is actually part of their gov contract.
I wouldn't bet against you on that (since I think you're right) but the commercial contracts they signed must have some relevant clause in them too, something along the lines of "We'll sell you X rounds for Y dollars over the next 12 months unless fed.gov needs more of our capacity, in which case our deal with you commercial guys is off."  If something like the part in italics isn't there, a lawsuit compelling specific performance (I THINK that's the term) demanding enforcement of the commercial contract would be likely.

I wondered when fed.gov was going to start upping their ammo purchases - we've shipped a LOT of ordnance to Ukraine, and people have been worrying out loud about replenishing our war stocks of ALL KINDS of things that go boom - and not just small arms ammunition.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2023, 06:41:59 PM »
I wondered when fed.gov was going to start upping their ammo purchases - we've shipped a LOT of ordnance to Ukraine, and people have been worrying out loud about replenishing our war stocks of ALL KINDS of things that go boom - and not just small arms ammunition.

Not to mention transporting things that go boom. That Jackass Brandon has destroyed the Strategic Petroleum Reserve, and we can be pretty sure the oily stuff will be going through the roof. I saw Qatar was cutting natural gas production.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2023, 06:33:58 PM »
Thankfully, 5.56 is one caliber I don't use.
And I have enough 7.62x39 to burn out my barrel as the manual indicated that the service life was ~6K rounds.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2023, 09:33:32 PM »
Interesting.  I need to see what the budget looks like.  Another case of 5.56 might be in order.  I need to think about that.  Would 308 be a better buy?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2023, 06:32:34 AM »

The Army did about a year ago.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2023, 06:35:52 AM »
Thankfully, 5.56 is one caliber I don't use.
And I have enough 7.62x39 to burn out my barrel as the manual indicated that the service life was ~6K rounds.

Huh, I'd have expected more than that.  I wonder if they are assuming use of steel-cased ammo, or what.  7.62x39 isn't a particularly fast round, weird that it eats barrels so fast.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2023, 04:00:40 PM »
Huh, I'd have expected more than that.  I wonder if they are assuming use of steel-cased ammo, or what.  7.62x39 isn't a particularly fast round, weird that it eats barrels so fast.

Pressure-related throat erosion.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2023, 04:03:57 PM »

Brad

Thaaaat's what she said.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2023, 04:27:03 PM »

Brad

For a rifle round 7.62x39 is pretty low pressure though.  5.56 is quite a bit higher pressure and barrels are good for like 15,000-25,000 rounds.  It's curious.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2023, 04:30:38 PM »
Remember some articles that stated the cause of the faster barrel wear is not the steel case but the bi-metal bullets that are usually found in steel case rounds
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2023, 07:03:19 PM »
Remember some articles that stated the cause of the faster barrel wear is not the steel case but the bi-metal bullets that are usually found in steel case rounds
Yeah, a lot of imported ammo is steel jacketed with a lighter wash of copper than they should have, and some off-brands reputedly have a harder steel jacket than they should have.  Then there's the quality of the barrel steel on some ComBloc rifles, chrome-lined or not.

Problem is, everything I've seen is anecdotal, so I can't say for sure what the real story is. As for myself, in my good rifles, I follow the old adage "Don't shoot ammo that comes from a place that you wouldn't drink the water."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2023, 11:49:22 AM »
I am not in need of 7.62x39 if it is just me shooting it.  If I need anything there it might be some US made hunting/self defense ammo. 

Not sure I really need any 5.56, but I don't have as much of that on hand.  The only rifles/builds I am considering are 5.56 and 308 so I need think about it.  My budget says to wait until next month. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2023, 12:07:34 PM »

Shitty obturation due to steel rather than brass material, and a tapered case.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2023, 09:34:31 AM »
Read more: https://www.ammoland.com/2023/10/explosion-hornady-ammunition-mfg-facility-results-tragedy/#ixzz8GUwseUOG
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

Explosion at the Hornady Ammunition Mfg Facility Results in a Tragedy

I don't know if this has more information.  They name the person who was killed.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2023, 08:23:43 AM »
Read more: https://www.ammoland.com/2023/10/explosion-hornady-ammunition-mfg-facility-results-tragedy/#ixzz8GUwseUOG
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

Explosion at the Hornady Ammunition Mfg Facility Results in a Tragedy

I don't know if this has more information.  They name the person who was killed.
The explosion " . . .  took place during the mixing process of the primer compound."

I didn't realize Hornady was manufacturing their own primers - that's another tidbit of information to feed into any thoughts about primer shortages and enormous recent component price hikes.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2023, 08:29:17 AM »
OH BULLSHIT!

IT WAS THE ISRAELIS! OR THE PALESTINIANS!

Hornady manufactures several types of rimfire ammunition. My guess is that it was rimfire priming compound that went boom.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2023, 08:41:29 AM »
And hell, Vista Outdoors just agreed to sell their ammunition business, which includes Federal and others, to the Czechs.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2023, 09:22:29 AM »
And hell, Vista Outdoors just agreed to sell their ammunition business, which includes Federal and others, to the Czechs.

Yep.
They've been looking for a buyer a awhile but seems a lot of American companies/investment firms are gun shy at the moment.
Colt is Czech owned too (CZ)
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2023, 09:53:47 AM »
OH BULLSHIT!

IT WAS THE ISRAELIS! OR THE PALESTINIANS! Ultra MAGA Trumpist Republican Insurrectionists.

Hornady manufactures several types of rimfire ammunition. My guess is that it was rimfire priming compound that went boom.
Hmmm . . . couple of .17 rimfire rounds plus .22 Mag. Not having any of these, their rimfire ammo wasn't even on my radar.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2023, 10:40:33 AM »
Hmmm . . . couple of .17 rimfire rounds plus .22 Mag. Not having any of these, their rimfire ammo wasn't even on my radar.

Same here. I didn't realize that Hornady was actually manufacturing rimfire ammo.

Most rimfire manufacturers have had rimfire primer compounding explosions over the years. IIRC Western had a particularly bad one back in the 1950s??? that killed something like 6 people.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2023, 02:11:23 PM »
Same here. I didn't realize that Hornady was actually manufacturing rimfire ammo.

The 17 HMR has been around at least 20 years
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?