Author Topic: Hypothetical to avoid default...  (Read 960 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Hypothetical to avoid default...
« on: October 15, 2013, 10:07:43 PM »
Let's say Obama gets all Lincoln-unilateral and pulls something beyond a nukular option.

House is deadlocked right now.  They don't want to give Obama anything.

Obama goes to the Senate, says to Harry:  Gimme a spending bill.  Harry pulls the Senate nuclear option tomorrow and gets a 51/49 budget approved tomorrow, and Obama signs it even though it never was approved (let alone originated) in the House.  Treasury and everybody starts acting on that bill.

Obama starts touting himself as a great Lincolnian savior through the media.

How does that get unwound?

It'd be worse than if some guy who wasn't eligible for President was somehow elected.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
Re: Hypothetical to avoid default...
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 10:59:24 PM »
My take is that the House would go to the Supreme Court and say that the WH is in violation of the separation of powers set forth in the Constitution.  Where it would go from there???  I don't know.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 11:04:50 PM »
My take is that the House would go to the Supreme Court and say that the WH is in violation of the separation of powers set forth in the Constitution.  Where it would go from there???  I don't know.

The Supreme court will default toward whatever position gives the federal government more power, which is???? ??? ??? ???
You got me there...

My bet is that obamas nsa/homeland security has pictures of Roberts performing in a donkey show in Mexico, so the court will rule in obama's favor.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 11:09:05 PM »
Obama and his handlers like Jarrett at least think they've got better contingency plans to milk a "default" than go for some sort of ZOMG Constitutional Crisis..

I think the metric to predict what they will do is this: Everything Obama and the hard-Left of the DNC has done over the past 5-6 years has been aimed at preserving, and growing structural permanent majorities for themselves. Forcing everyone onto Obamacare (designed to fail, to pave the way for single-payer), amnesty, all the union skullduggery etc. The talk of "turning Texas blue" etc.

It's all about building permanent > 50% leftist/Democrat majorities in the U.S. forever, even if they run the country into the ground doing it. Like most Leftist policy, it's all about getting the camel's nose in the tent, their foot in the door etc. and they'll "fix it later".

Does "Going Lincoln" help or hurt that cause?
I promise not to duck.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 11:10:23 PM »
They keep using the word "default"... which I think specifically means failure to make an interest payment on a bond.  Is that really what they are talking about, or is it more like not having enough money to make interest payments AND pay congressional salaries AND welfare payments AND (etc, etc)
"It's good, though..."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 11:14:00 PM »
Exactly, it's not even really a default. They just can't borrow any more money/print T-bills to back more borrowing etc.

As noted in a few economics articles unless we're intentionally run aground, we can keep on paying the interest just fine.
I promise not to duck.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 11:24:38 PM »
Exactly, it's not even really a default. They just can't borrow any more money/print T-bills to back more borrowing etc
That's why none of this will happen.
The banksters need for the flow of free money to continue, and so it will.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 09:34:22 AM »
They keep using the word "default"... which I think specifically means failure to make an interest payment on a bond.  Is that really what they are talking about, or is it more like not having enough money to make interest payments AND pay congressional salaries AND welfare payments AND (etc, etc)
I've read that normal .gov cash flow is enough to take care of debt payments, the military, Social Security, and a few other programs - the operative word being a few.

Fun will start if a decision is made by POTUS to keep the welfare checks flowing (about $1,000,000,000,000 a year) instead of funding essential functions; in particular, choosing to defund constitutionally authorized & mandated parts of .gov in favor of SNAP payments and Obama phones could lead to a major case destined for an expedited hearting before SCOTUS.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 09:37:52 AM »
Fun will start if a decision is made by POTUS to keep the welfare checks flowing (about $1,000,000,000,000 a year) instead of funding essential functions; in particular, choosing to defund constitutionally authorized & mandated parts of .gov in favor of SNAP payments and Obama phones could lead to a major case destined for an expedited hearting before SCOTUS.

Yes, that would be interesting to watch.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."