Author Topic: residential daily tactics - how to start a fire  (Read 11457 times)

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
residential daily tactics - how to start a fire
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2005, 02:21:30 PM »
I have used a propane torch when the logs are wet, or we are out of news paper and kindling, or I am just feeling lazy. I guess a butane or a map torch may work better. A propane torch could take a minute or so to get a log going.

At our current house we just flick a light switch, or use the remote control. I like real fireplaces better, but as long as the fireplace works when the power is out I am happy.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

Taurus

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2005, 06:36:35 PM »
Quote from: stevelyn
But don't you think that if charcoal lighter fluid (a combustible) wasn't safe to start fires with, that they probably wouldn't sell it for such things after the first couple of barbeques were launched into low orbit?
Charcoal lighter fluid is safe to start any size fire and in any volume from the cold point. Take your average BBQ grill: Once the coals are burning warm to hot and you add more fluid, you flash off the lighter fluid into a highly combustible vapor. You've probably seen this thick white vapor (resembles smoke) as you add the liquid. Introduce a flame or spark to this vapor and "WHOOSH!" ... instant 6 foot flame... and I mean "instant". I've lost an eye brow on a couple occasions ..... had to shave the other one just to make things equal.
J. D. White

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2005, 06:40:22 PM »
Quote from: stevelyn
>Gasoline? Charcoal lighter fluid? Be sure the news media is around when you do this so we can get you registered for the Darwin Awards.<

Uhmmmmmmmm...........Mike, I have to agree with the gasoline (a flammable) thing there as it can be explosive and I'll just bet that it was posted as a joke. rolleyes
But don't you think that if charcoal lighter fluid (a combustible) wasn't safe to start fires with, that they probably wouldn't sell it for such things after the first couple of barbeques were launched into low orbit?
I've used charcoal fluid, diesel and liquid parafin for starting woodstove fires. It's perfectly safe. Just don't over do it.
Nope, I don't agree that using ANY liquid, fumable hydrocarbon in an enclosed metal box in one's home being a good thing. All are capable of producing more than enough vapor to create an explosive mixture.

Outside, not a big deal, really, if you don't sweat having no eyebrows.

Inside? A much bigger deal.

Yeah, I'll agree that the gasoline comment was probably posted as a joke. What makes you think that my Darwin Award comment wasn't a joke?

Tarus did catch part of what I was getting at, though -- what if things don't get going the first try? Well, I must not have used enough the first time, I don't see any flames, so we're fine, let me just soak everything down... Hey, what's all those white fumes... Ah, a match will clear them out...

Houston, we have a negative on that orbit trajectory.

Tarus, you also miss an important distinction -- sorry...

The vast majority of grills are open topped. The hydrocarbon fumes don't have anywhere to accumulate. I've yet to see an open topped wood stove, though. And even though you might be trying this in a fireplace, you might still have enough fumes lingering in the firebox and up the flue to make one heck of a bang.

But, the most important question is, why would anyone ever consider lighting a fire with a petroleum product and then grill over it, hoping beyond hope that all of the nasty oil fumes have cooked off?

No thanks. Starter chimney and some brown paper bags lightly squirted with cooking oil.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2005, 03:59:38 AM »
Used motor oil mixed with kerosene.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Greg L

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2005, 04:06:45 AM »
Tea lights work great.

When we made the parafin/sawdust/dryer lint in an egg carton (back when they were cardboard) in Scouts we would always add one extra touch that worked great.  We would take sparklers (left over from the 4th of July) & scrape off the fuel from the rod.  It gave off quite a few hot sparks that would really get the most stubborn wood burning.

We used gas a lot as well.  My Scoutmaster believed in getting the job done quickly Cheesy .

yesterdaysyouth

• friend
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2005, 12:32:24 PM »
depending on my BAC...
it's almost always used motor oil, i just save it up all year and when camping time comes around i'll have 15-20 gallons...

Moondoggie

• friend
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2005, 02:26:28 PM »
I've also used the sawdust/parafin mixture...works like a champ.

If you happen to be able to get ahold of cracked bowling pins, you can use one of them underneath the wood...start it with just a little paper.  The plastic coating on the pins burns like crazy, and the hardwood inside is very dry and lights very easily.  My uncle owned a bowling alley, and we used the pins to light all of our fires in the fireplace.
Known from coast to coast, almost!

gunnkid

• friends
Re: residential daily tactics - how to start a fire
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2015, 10:07:25 AM »
All anyone should need is a magnesium block. If you can't start a fire anywhere, anytime, with that, then I guess Darwin is calling.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2015, 10:14:00 AM »
All I needs is two pieces of wood.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2015, 10:27:57 AM »
I just think about my tax return and my rage is enough to get kindling going.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2015, 11:26:41 AM »
What's the best way to carry a magnesium block firestarter?

A wheelbarrow?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2015, 11:55:17 AM »
Could always just use old floppy discs.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

gunnkid

• friends
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2015, 01:04:02 PM »
What's the best way to carry a magnesium block firestarter?

A wheelbarrow?

What kind of a stupid answer is that? Firstarters are kept on the person at all times, and not just in a rucksack, or fanny pack, but in your pants pocket, which is very easy to do if you wear proper tactical pants, which with companies like Galls and Propper, are easily affordable. That way if you lose your ruck because you had to unass an area quickly, or were jumped by thugs, outnumbered, and had to go to a tactical retreat, you have your last ditch, priority survival items ON YOUR PERSON.

A wheelbarrow can have its uses in something like a SHTF scenario, since it can act as a gear hauler (again, NOT priority gear) and also provide some cover if you find yourself in a shooting situation. Though most commercial wheelbarrows are inadequate for real rifle fire. It is, however, fairly easy to add ablative armor to it even with just scrap metal (should be at least 1/8th inch thick).

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2015, 01:06:30 PM »
Wow.

Comprehend the question mark, much?

Definitely can't be the real Gun Kid. Not smart enough.  :rofl:

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2015, 01:07:39 PM »
Wow.

Definitely can't be the real POPgunnkid Gun Kid. Not smart enough.  :rofl:

FIFY

gunnkid

• friends
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2015, 01:14:57 PM »
Wow.

Definitely can't be the real Gun Kid. Not smart enough.  :rofl:

I know who you are. From that other forum where the mods can't handle out of the box and original thinking. I don't have to "comprehend" your question. I just have to survive. WHEN IT COUNTS!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2015, 01:33:10 PM »
"I just have to survive."

Great... Now I have visions of you dancing around your tactical wheelbarrow singing Gloria Gainer songs...

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2015, 03:28:21 PM »
"I just have to survive."

Great... Now I have visions of you dancing around your tactical wheelbarrow singing Gloria Gainer songs...
But does he have it tucked in and singing into a bottle of lotion microphone?
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2015, 03:55:58 PM »
Cotton balls and cheap olive oil.  Gives about 5 minutes of flame to get nearly any dry kindling going.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2015, 12:24:00 AM »
This year we ran out of our sawdust/wax starters and experimented with a couple other things.  A bunch of dryer lint in a cardboard toilet paper roll, and cotton balls heavily coated with petroleum jelly.  The cotton balls worked better.  Put them under some small tinder, with gradually larger firewood stacked above.

CypherNinja

• friend
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2015, 01:30:38 AM »
My grandparents always used something like this:

https://11main.com/lotusinthewind/vintage-cast-iron-cauldron-smudge-pot-fire-starter-kettle-brass-top-w-pumice/p/3443175

Always thought it was super neat as a kid.

Also there's this idea:

http://www.instructables.com/id/The-world-best-fire-starter/

Similar to a few other things already suggested, but looks like a neat idea. You might be making a LOT of them for everyday use, though.  :rofl:
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 02:56:11 AM by CypherNinja »
“Fear of death increases in exact proportion to increase in wealth,” Hemingway once said. Today, many of us have become rich in the currency of cowardice. We have so many things and so few experiences. We are desperate to live as long as possible, not as large as possible. We are so afraid to say goodbye to the world that we never say hello.
-Marty Beckerman (from a Wired article of all things)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2015, 02:57:37 AM »
Detcord and napalm.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2015, 06:14:03 AM »
C4 if you can get some.