Author Topic: Constitution is 400 Years Old  (Read 6006 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Constitution is 400 Years Old
« on: March 14, 2014, 04:50:15 PM »
Can I sue for a poor education as a kid? I was told the Constitution was adopted in 1787. Sheila Jackson Lee set me straight:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/03/13/math-problem-rep-jackson-lee-claims-constitution-is-400-years-old/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
Re: Constitution is 400 Years Old
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 05:29:26 PM »
Isn't she the one who was worried that Guam(?) would tip over?
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 05:36:07 PM »
Isn't she the one who was worried that Guam(?) would tip over?

Nope, that was Hank Johnson.

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 05:40:20 PM »
Come on, pickers-of-nits, she's correct if you count in moonbat years...
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 05:47:16 PM »
Come on, pickers-of-nits, she's correct if you count in moonbat years...

You're right - 200, 400, it's all interchangeable and also how you make stuff like AGW end of the world scenarios viable if you're a progressive. You need that wiggle factor.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 05:54:30 PM »
The sad fact is that's not the dumbest thing she's ever said.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 06:02:03 PM »

So true.

I would accuse her of stupidity, but I would not want to offend stupid people.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 06:09:10 PM »

What I find even sadder is that likely a majority of the US population doesn't know the difference either, or even care. Yet mispronounce some celebrity's name, and you're a moron.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 07:16:02 PM »
Math is just more white oppression of blacks.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 07:36:00 PM »
Hell it's one of the smarter things she's said.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 08:02:57 PM »
Can I sue for a poor education as a kid? I was told the Constitution was adopted in 1787. Sheila Jackson Lee set me straight:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/03/13/math-problem-rep-jackson-lee-claims-constitution-is-400-years-old/

At this point, what does it matter?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2014, 12:50:26 AM »
The collective voice of those that keep electing her is far dumber than anything she'll ever utter.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2014, 01:47:51 AM »
Wait a sec

Since when does she (or her party) care whether something was constitutional?
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2014, 08:22:55 AM »
The continued election of that psycho is evidence of the failings of inner cities. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2014, 09:15:17 AM »
Math is just more white oppression of blacks.
I've actually read people arguing emoting that logic and evidence-based thinking is a plot to keep non-Whites down. I wonder if they realize just how racist or self-hating, depending on their own ethnicity, that this sounds?
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2014, 06:21:40 PM »
Yes, she IS the one who asked a NASA spokesman if the Mars Rover was going to visit the Apollo landing sites.

She happens to be in gerrymandered 100% Democrat district in Houston where the voters don't care.  I guess if they split that district up, those people would vote stupidly for a bunch of bad politicians instead of one.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 06:25:15 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2014, 09:09:42 PM »
Yes, she IS the one who asked a NASA spokesman if the Mars Rover was going to visit the Apollo landing sites.

She happens to be in gerrymandered 100% Democrat district in Houston where the voters don't care.  I guess if they split that district up, those people would vote stupidly for a bunch of bad politicians instead of one.

This.  Damage control.

That said,  I can't put into words how sick that individual  makes me.   Laws are being made,  and that *expletive deleted*ing moron has a say...

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2014, 07:09:02 AM »
what i gleaned from that link is that 233 congresscritters voted for a bill that will make it illegal to break the law....... and it would need to be signed by the guy that they are trying to enforce it on...... :facepalm:
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2014, 01:12:56 PM »
Interestingly, Renée Fleming, the opera star who sang the Star Spangled Banner so magnificently at the last Super Bowl, also made reference to "400 years" in this interview at 1:31...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcKZJzwYuDI

I'm wondering if it wasn't so "unforgiveable" for Sheila Jackson Lee to have made an offhanded but erroneous reference to a time going back to the start of the colonization as "400 years."

Just wondering if our tendency to mock legislators who make the slightest mis-step isn't inappropriate at times and might reflect badly on us.

No fan of Congresswoman Lee, but I've made some pretty good inattentive mistakes, too.

I never referred to Africa as a "country," like Bush, nor to the "57 States," like President Obama, but unless one is reading from a prepared script, I wonder if such things are quite so unforgiveable.

Anyhow, for those having a desire for a thrilling rendition of the Star Spangled Banner (perhaps the best ever done, in my opinion), here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7etXoNrwP8c

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2014, 04:54:01 PM »
Seems pretty obvious to me that Fleming was talking about opera, which is about 400 years old.

Lee seems to have been saying that we have been operating under the Constitution for 400 years.

Apples and oranges. Besides, two factors working against Lee, here. For one, she's already well-known for being a dimwit. (Not to mention a Congresswoman, but that may be redundant.) And then there's the whole thing where Congressfolk are expected to have a half-way decent handle on our nation's history, or at least its political system. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2014, 06:33:02 PM »
Congressfolk are expected to have a half-way decent handle on our nation's history, or at least its political system. 

That's racist  :P

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2014, 05:56:03 AM »
I've actually read people arguing emoting that logic and evidence-based thinking is a plot to keep non-Whites down.

You mean the fields where Asians most soundly kick our butts?

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2014, 07:49:45 AM »
Interestingly, Renée Fleming, the opera star who sang the Star Spangled Banner so magnificently at the last Super Bowl, also made reference to "400 years" in this interview at 1:31...

I'm wondering if it wasn't so "unforgiveable" for Sheila Jackson Lee to have made an offhanded but erroneous reference to a time going back to the start of the colonization as "400 years."

Just wondering if our tendency to mock legislators who make the slightest mis-step isn't inappropriate at times and might reflect badly on us.

No fan of Congresswoman Lee, but I've made some pretty good inattentive mistakes, too.

I never referred to Africa as a "country," like Bush, nor to the "57 States," like President Obama, but unless one is reading from a prepared script, I wonder if such things are quite so unforgiveable.

Anyhow, for those having a desire for a thrilling rendition of the Star Spangled Banner (perhaps the best ever done, in my opinion), here it is:

Terry, 230RN

Catching up on various threads, which is why this is a late post.

Prepare to rant!  Ready, rant!

<insert skidmark's standard #2.73b rant about the Star Spangled Banner not being a vehicle for personal interpretation.>

Yes, I feel better now, thank you.

stay safe.

PS - While I acknowledge that most politicians and other celebrities are human (I think there are some we all have our doubts about) it is fitting and proper that we hold them to a high standard in all they do.  Otherwise they might begin to get the notion that they can get away with doing a half-assed job.  Would that more folks bothered to be as concerned about the quality of work their servants do.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2014, 08:37:25 AM »

Terry, 230RN

No.  There was a time when our leaders were our intellectual betters.  Like those guys with wigs and funny pants who founded the country.
Now, we're led by morons who couldn't intelectualize themselves out of a wet paper bag, who are elected by people who think that they are owed something by someone, and who can't differentiate you're and your.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2014, 09:05:25 AM »
No.  There was a time when our leaders were our intellectual betters.  Like those guys with wigs and funny pants who founded the country.
Now, we're led by morons who couldn't intelectualize themselves out of a wet paper bag, who are elected by people who think that they are owed something by someone, and who can't differentiate you're and your.

Quoted for the pure truth of the statement.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.