Author Topic: Nick Hanauer speaks on income inequality  (Read 2460 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Nick Hanauer speaks on income inequality
« on: July 06, 2014, 01:32:55 PM »
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/06/the-pitchforks-are-coming-for-us-plutocrats-108014.html#.U7mH3ZRX-uY

I read an article about this in the Seattle Times that linked to the original article above.  Many interesting comments.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Nick Hanauer speaks on income inequality
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 02:13:24 PM »
I guess I should have stopped reading when he claimed FDR as his model. He says we should all emulate Henry Ford, in CHOOSING to pay his workers far above market value; but his apparent goal is to FORCE employers to do so. He uses the term "trickle-down" as if it somehow meant paying workers as little as possible - as if it were somehow the reigning theory of economic policy in the the U.S. today.  ;/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 02:55:50 PM »
Ha ha, because you have to be penalized for being smarter than me:

They deserve a fair share and no more. So do their workers, the ones who make it all possible.

Sadly, that comment got probably in the top 25% of "thumbs up".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 03:16:00 PM »
He could have saved himself a lot of writing, and just said, "You didn't build that."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 03:31:47 PM »
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/06/the-pitchforks-are-coming-for-us-plutocrats-108014.html#.U7mH3ZRX-uY

I read an article about this in the Seattle Times that linked to the original article above.  Many interesting comments.

I saw that, something that my cousin the DC consultantwonk posted on his BookFace.

Problems don't necessarily have good solutions.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 05:50:36 PM »
Problems don't necessarily have good solutions.

Problems aren't necessarily problems. So far, the fact that the super-rich are now zillionaires, instead of mere billionaires, has never hurt me.

Also, "the one time you saw a kid with an iPhone"? If this guy had ever seen more than one below-poverty-line person in his life, he would know that smart phones are common among them. The rising tide IS lifting the boats. Even Nick's vast wealth will not buy him his own facts.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 06:37:54 PM »

Also, "the one time you saw a kid with an iPhone"? If this guy had ever seen more than one below-poverty-line person in his life, he would know that smart phones are common among them.

Yeah, most of the "poverty crowd" seem to have newer and more expensive phones than me. Also rims on their cars that would pay my bills for a year.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 06:45:29 PM »
Q? How many men would a pharoah have sent to their deaths to recover an artifact with the capabilities of an iphone that could likelh be inthe hands of a low income kid as a plaything today?
A: All of them.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 06:50:54 PM »

Problems aren't necessarily problems. So far, the fact that the super-rich are now zillionaires, instead of mere billionaires, has never hurt me.

The fact that the super rich are now super super rich is not a problem.  The problem is that I'm (with the rest of us) slowly sinking into the mire.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 07:36:07 PM »
The Left seems to like to say that they adore the Middle Class.  Bull.  The Left are the ones who, with government and bureaucracies,  over-regulate business and industry and well as taxing at the highest rate in the world.  The result is that the captains of industry are doing what they do; captain industry by sailing offshore to avoid the Leftists in government.

Of course the Left blames Capitalism for the destruction that the Left themselves have wreaked.  They've wrecked the family and schools as well so most of the The Folks are too uncivilized and stupid or unconcerned to notice.  Apparently the Statists are not satisfied by keeping the minority blacks, whites and browns on the dole, they want the middle class moving to the plantation as well.

I for one am tired of hearing how the wealthy are wrecking our country.  It's really the effing Democrats and RINO's.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 07:38:08 PM »
The fact that the super rich are now super super rich is not a problem.  The problem is that I'm (with the rest of us) slowly sinking into the mire.

That is a problem. But not caused or exacerbated by the people at the top having more.

Now, rich people and big companies do have their own legal system. Politicians murder others cough cough Ted Kennedy cough cough and get away with it, and Holder has admitted that he won't prosecute large banks. That's a problem.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2014, 08:03:52 PM »
If he's worried about the masses coming with pitchforks, perhaps that explains why he is one of the big-money donors behind I-594, an anti-gun initiative in WA state.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2014, 08:26:33 PM »
That is a problem. But not caused or exacerbated by the people at the top having more.

Now, rich people and big companies do have their own legal system. Politicians murder others cough cough Ted Kennedy cough cough and get away with it, and Holder has admitted that he won't prosecute large banks. That's a problem.

This. A problem no minimum/living wage will ever solve.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2014, 10:33:11 PM »
The Left seems to like to say that they adore the Middle Class.  Bull.  The Left are the ones who, with government and bureaucracies,  over-regulate business and industry and well as taxing at the highest rate in the world.  The result is that the captains of industry are doing what they do; captain industry by sailing offshore to avoid the Leftists in government.

Of course the Left blames Capitalism for the destruction that the Left themselves have wreaked.  They've wrecked the family and schools as well so most of the The Folks are too uncivilized and stupid or unconcerned to notice.  Apparently the Statists are not satisfied by keeping the minority blacks, whites and browns on the dole, they want the middle class moving to the plantation as well.

I for one am tired of hearing how the wealthy are wrecking our country.  It's really the effing Democrats and RINO's.

This, a million times this...

I pray that the Praetorians who defend them understand what's happening, and one day get the mother of all blue-flu's and what needs to happen can happen.
I promise not to duck.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 09:50:10 AM »
Yeah, most of the "poverty crowd" seem to have newer and more expensive phones than me. Also rims on their cars that would pay my bills for a year.

I posted something on FB the other day about going to a church activity in my $700 Saturn wearing my $22 Goodwill suit, $5 Goodwill shoes, $4 eBay fitted shirt, and $16 clearance at Burlington Coat Factory fedora and hearing some guy with at least $1k worth of ink and piercings rambling on about "rich people and their fancy clothes."

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2014, 10:06:41 AM »
I posted something on FB the other day about going to a church activity in my $700 Saturn wearing my $22 Goodwill suit, $5 Goodwill shoes, $4 eBay fitted shirt, and $16 clearance at Burlington Coat Factory fedora and hearing some guy with at least $1k worth of ink and piercings rambling on about "rich people and their fancy clothes."

"Garage sale life" is how I think of it.  How it is I can have a Seiko* on my wrist.  I get tired of that.

*($2.50 at a garage sale.)

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2014, 10:13:33 AM »
"Garage sale life" is how I think of it.  How it is I can have a Seiko* on my wrist.  I get tired of that.

Come to think of it, my $40 Timex on its $9 replacement band was by far the most expensive thing I was wearing at the time.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2014, 10:27:52 AM »

QFT.

Not to mention "sneakers" that cost what would be a week's pay for me. Seriously? There have been more than one instances where ghetto "kids" have been killed ... for their sneakers!
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2014, 01:24:53 PM »

Bet it was way more then that.  Just one of my tats was a grand all said and done.  Ink is expensive.  Although I hear it's cheaper in prison if you go that route.

But let's be honest, there's enough free/easy to get money for poor folks, the ones that make good financial decisions aren't poor anymore. 

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2014, 02:14:50 PM »
Bet it was way more then that.  Just one of my tats was a grand all said and done.  Ink is expensive.  Although I hear it's cheaper in prison if you go that route.

This was better than prison quality, but not up to the standards of the good local shop.  I'd guess he got it from a legit but inexperienced shop or a trainee at a good one.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2014, 09:17:17 PM »

But let's be honest, there's enough free/easy to get money for poor folks, the ones that make good financial decisions aren't poor anymore. 
That is the liberal lie that the poor are just upper middle class suburbanites having hard times. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2014, 10:54:40 AM »
The minimum wage is in part a failure of the market just like the "need" for unions.

Many sectors of the economy base their wages using the minimum wage as the baseline.

As long as real buying power kept going up, true inflation was low and benefits were good there was no real pent up demand for a minimum wage hike.

In the Obama economy we see wage stagnation on the bottom, real inflation is actually pretty high and many lost their benefits due to Obamacare. Real buying power on the bottom is actually slipping.

Folks on the bottom have no real power to demand higher wages other than unions or electing politicritters to legislate raises for them.

The FSArmy isn't big enough to influence this movement. Politicritters are trolling for votes by exploiting an actual real loss in buying power and benefits by not only the FSArmy but also a substantial segment of the working "poor".

Just my 2 pennies (real world spending power of 1 cent)  :laugh:

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2014, 01:42:48 PM »
The minimum wage increase is fueled by the union SEIU foremost.  Since union contracts and the wage rates therein are predicated on minimum wage an increase in that wage automatically boosts union pay scales.   AKA how to negotiate a wage increase via .gov fiat.  Just look at Obama's new Fed contractor min wage.  Many Burger King's, Subway's and other 'fast food' franchises on military posts are closing simply because they can't afford to pay that wage and also contribute to various MWR funds.   Everybody loses.  Family members that were able to earn some extra money for their families, servicemembers lose places to eat other than the DFAC, and MWR activities lose a source of funding that goes to benefit servicemembers and their families.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.