Author Topic: Well crap...  (Read 972 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Well crap...
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2024, 09:24:57 AM »
Ouch!
I'll be in the bunker
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2024, 09:45:59 AM »
Yes, reminders of oneself can often be uncomfortable.

Brad

Mike is definitely the Moe of APS.  :rofl:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2024, 10:08:49 AM »
Mike is definitely the Moe of APS.  :rofl:

Who would be Larry, Shemp or Curly?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2024, 10:09:58 AM »
the reason I hate the 3 Stooges so much is because watching all you jackasses on APS is like watching the All Curly Show All the Time....

Only none of you are nearly as smart as Jerome Horwitz...

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2024, 10:30:41 AM »
Who would be Larry, Shemp or Curly?

I call Curly. It's actually my profile pick on the google.  =D

WWCD.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2024, 10:36:19 AM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2024, 11:47:51 AM »
« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 01:08:13 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2024, 01:06:13 PM »

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2024, 01:06:36 PM »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2024, 01:12:18 PM »

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2024, 11:16:01 PM »
Soitenly !
Nyuk, nyuk,nyuk !
  =D  :rofl:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2024, 04:24:56 AM »
We got ice every 3-4 days.  More than that, it was me leaving the icebox open.  I still remember my Mom hollering for me to close the door.  I still did that after we got wun uh them ammonia cycle wuns and didn't get ice delivered any more.  She still hollered at me.  Our pieces were small enough (20-25 lbs?) that I could carry them in the house in a towel if my brother wasn't around and Mom would break up any remaining ice to make room for the new block and we'd heft the block into the top of the icebox.  I just do not remember how the water from the melted ice was handled.  I guess I never had to do that, so it escapes me.

Milk was delivered every two days.  If more needed, Mom would leave a note for the delivery guy when he picked up our empty bottles.  I still remember the frozen milk pushing up the paper caps with the top cream if left out in the cold too long.  My job was to put out the old bottles and pick up the new ones.  The milk wasn't homogenized, so the cream came up if it was left standing.

Just a little color for the era.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2024, 04:51:56 AM by 230RN »

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2024, 08:56:01 PM »
Terry - when I was a kid in southern IL-ANNOY, we had a milk delivery service that brought glass half-gallons from Farm Fresh with paper/foil caps.
Once we moved closer to St. Louis in the mid-60s, we lost that service.
  :old:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2024, 04:12:35 AM »
These were glass quarts during and after the War... rationing, you know. When I spoke of the cardboard tops of the milk bottles, I was referring to the two cardboard tops for the glass bottles, which got pushed up an inch or two if it froze.   

I think Mom had some kind of rationing exceptions for having a little kid (me).  I remember you couldn't get butter and I remember having to mix the little packet of coloring into margarine to give it a faux butter look.

I also remember my father having a special gasoline ration since he worked at the Brooklyn Navy Yard and he'd get the gas ration in the car, and then use his (more economical) motorcycle to actually get to work.  So we had gas to drive around for the car. Not sure nowadays of the ethics of that back then, but at the time one did, I guess, what one had to do.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 04:32:08 AM by 230RN »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2024, 07:48:09 AM »
Because of his job (chief mechanical engineer at a critical war plant) my Grandfather had close to an unlimited gasoline ration.

He'd generally walk to work to conserve the gasoline. That way they'd have it for a trip once a month to his parent's place about 40 miles away. My great grandparents had a large working farm, and my Grandparents would stock up on food and would bring it back and spread it out amongst their friends to make rations go longer.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.