Author Topic: No Toy Gun for You!  (Read 4461 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
No Toy Gun for You!
« on: December 21, 2010, 08:56:51 PM »
So in order to give a lesson in non-violence, they have the kids throw their toy guns into something called "Bash-O-Matic"? I would also have been an unhappy kid if I would have had to trade in my cap gun for a doll.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/rhode_island/articles/2010/12/19/providence_program_destroys_childrens_toy_guns/?page=full
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: No Toy Gun for You!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 09:14:53 PM »
Heh.  I am giving my daughter a pink BB gun for Christmas. :D

Chris

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 09:39:27 PM »
Apparently this has been going on for 7 years, and used to be held 4 or 5 times a year.  [barf]

In kindergarten, he brought a pop gun to school and shot at a classmate when the child refused to return his toy truck.

The police and representatives of the state’s children services department rushed to the school, and the boy was expelled.

And why exactly was the police rushed to the school?  :facepalm:

When kids are getting all kinds of other messages about guns, it’s a more complicated issue than just having one day about how guns are bad.’’

Bad gun, bad! How dare you grow legs and go around killing people. [barf]
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 10:12:23 PM »
I was about to quote some of the same stuff.  Will these kids just grow up to be stupid or screwed up adults or will they grow up and realize their parents are morons?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 12:49:55 AM »
Heh.  I think SWMBO is going to get my son and I each a nerf M-60.  He's 4.  The plan will be for nerf machine gun wars.  If I owned my own company such would be among the required office accessories.
Formerly sumpnz

Seenterman

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 10:48:24 AM »
There, they lined up to toss their toy guns, from dainty purple water guns

WTF is their problem with water guns? If you where a kid in my neighborhood without a 2 gallon, multi-nozzle, +50 foot range water gun, well you got very wet. There was no mercy for the unarmed or the dry. 

In kindergarten, he brought a pop gun to school and shot at a classmate when the child refused to return his toy truck.
:laugh:  Sounds like that kid may have discovered the value of firearms before his mother did! Jebbus. And he was disciplined for this? I'd have gave him an honorary CCPW permit. (Conceal Carry Plastic Weapons)  At least he didn't just smack the other kid upside his head.

The police and representatives of the state’s children services department rushed to the school, and the boy was expelled.

WAIT what happened? I've gotten into fist fights in elementary and no one ever called the cops, or got expelled over a PHYSICAL FIGHT and this kid gets expelled for shooting a toy gun at some kid who took his toy.  ;/  He should have pistol whipped that other kid to get his toy back, probably would have got in less trouble.

Some parents confessed that they bought guns just a couple of days before the event so their children could get a gift or watch the Bash-O-Matic do its work.

The event used to be held four or five times a year, but budget cuts have forced them to scale back the program, he said.
Ahhh our tax dollars hard at work.  :facepalm:

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 11:33:53 AM »
Finally got around to buying the kids nerf guns.  The boy taped two pieces of paper together, drew a target on them, strung them between two chairs, and was trying to see if the nerf gun would shoot through the paper, and if so at what distance. 
They can recite the 4 rules.  I do think its time to teach the boy to shoot, I've been a little negligent on it....

Liberal pants wetters can kiss my rear.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 12:19:28 PM »
I'd be willing to debate the potential danger of older kids using realistic looking Airsoft guns that someone might mistake for a real gun. But mistaking the Airsoft for a real gun implies that the kids weren't properly instructed by their parents and were doing something that would make someone, even someone who's not a hoplophobe, believe there was a threat by someone with a real gun.

The fear of pink water pistols, Nerf guns, etc. is ridiculous. Even if the kids have completely worthless parents who don't discipline them, pointing an obviously toy gun at someone is not grounds to consider a kid a danger to society, or to expel them from school, or to send them to psychological counseling. The adults who would do such a thing are the ones that need the psychological counseling.

I think some of these kids are more adult and in touch with reality than their parents are.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 02:29:44 PM »
More and more, the truth of the first line in my .sig is proven . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 07:45:08 PM »
Heh.  I am giving my daughter a pink BB gun for Christmas. :D

Chris

just bought my little one the daisy model 10.  wish it came in pink.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 07:49:29 PM »
geronimotwo, ;)

i suggest "Gum Drop" though. :laugh:

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 01:03:19 AM »
just bought my little one the daisy model 10.  wish it came in pink.

Since we would have to go out to our land to shoot even a BB gun, I'll probably just skip that altogether and get ours one of these: http://www.hyattgunstore.com/cz-02051-cz452-scout-22lr-pink.html  Single shot adapter for getting through the basics, then switch it to a 5 round mag once she's ready.  I do have a Buck and one of the Powerlines in the closet, and they're fun for shooting grasshoppers during the annual plague, but I figure that by the time she can manage to pump those, she'll be ready to start learning a real firearm anyway.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 02:40:00 PM »
Meanwhile somewhere in flyover country, an 8 year old gets the epic cool Christmas present.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 03:05:14 PM »
Since we would have to go out to our land to shoot even a BB gun, I'll probably just skip that altogether and get ours one of these: http://www.hyattgunstore.com/cz-02051-cz452-scout-22lr-pink.html  Single shot adapter for getting through the basics, then switch it to a 5 round mag once she's ready.  I do have a Buck and one of the Powerlines in the closet, and they're fun for shooting grasshoppers during the annual plague, but I figure that by the time she can manage to pump those, she'll be ready to start learning a real firearm anyway.

Good call. I remember the BB gun I had as a kid, very hard to pump.

I love my CZ452, wish my parents had brought me one as a kid instead of a BB gun.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 03:12:20 PM »
I love my CZ452, wish my parents had brought me one as a kid instead of a BB gun

ha! My son already has a Savage Cub, but he can't shoot that in the backyard :cool:

Barack Obama

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 04:20:44 PM »
Meanwhile somewhere in flyover country, an 8 year old gets the epic cool Christmas present.
Poor kid - he had to wait until he was twice the age at which I got my first BB gun.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 04:44:40 PM »
I love my CZ452, wish my parents had brought me one as a kid instead of a BB gun.

I'm thinking about a Henry in .357 for the second gun.  Load some quiet .38 loads to get them used to it, then let them try full magnums when they're ready.

First one to win at Camp Perry gets their own AR.    =D

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 06:03:05 PM »
I'm thinking about a Henry in .357 for the second gun.  Load some quiet .38 loads to get them used to it, then let them try full magnums when they're ready.

I'd consider a Marlin, as I have heard that the centerfire Henrys tend to shake themselves apart...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 11:55:33 PM »

Yes, but does it have the compass in the stock?
Formerly sumpnz

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2011, 09:43:59 AM »
Yes, but does it have the compass in the stock?

And that thing that tells time?
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2011, 10:13:27 AM »
A Texas fishing and hunting board I frequent was alight right before Christmas with posts about what guns people were getting their kids.  One has two kids, aged maybe 8 and 10, each with a shiny new shotgun.  The average east coast liberal would piss themselves.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2011, 11:59:31 AM »
My 6YO boy got one of these for Christmas:
http://www.crickett.com/product_info.php?products_id=248&osCsid=a9n9c49160p9h7kdbg149sg2o1

Stock is a bit long, so I ordered another I am going to cut down and remount the (reduced size) buttplate.

I also ordered a .22LR bullet trap.  Combine that with a 4'x4' plywood backstop and Aguila Super Colibri .22longs(0), and we are going to have a garage firing range(1).

When we go to gun shows and stores, my daughter points out every single pink gun.  Will get her one next Christmas, most likely.
http://www.crickett.com/product_info.php?products_id=243&osCsid=a9n9c49160p9h7kdbg149sg2o1

FTR, it is easier to get one of these than a kid-sized airsoft or pellet gun for the littler kids.  We got him a BB gun a while back, but nobody sells BB gun traps for steel BBs.  I recently figured out how to make one with 1x4 framing and duct seal, but we already are rolling with the above Cricketts, which have a proper aperture sight.  Aguila Super Colibri FTW!

My wife (at 5' nuthin') also likes the feel of the Crickett.  I tried to sway her with a Ruger10/22 with an 18" bbl, but she prefers the Crickett.  Might have to get her one, too, as they have adult-sized stocks available.  Cut to fit and run with it.

(0) Primer only, no powder, 20grains, ~500fps, sound like a relatively wimpy air rifle.

(1) Box fan set up near shooter directing air out the side door.  When it gets hot, two box fans, one blowing across the shooter toward the side door.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

brimic

• friends
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2011, 08:09:41 AM »
When we go to gun shows and stores, my daughter points out every single pink gun.  Will get her one next Christmas, most likely.

Hehe. i took the kids to Cabelas last wek, and my 4yo daughter kept asking about the pink handguns. She said that she 'wants to get one of the pink ones when she gets bigger because they don't have any purple ones'  :laugh:

Barack Obama