Author Topic: about that border fence?  (Read 1581 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: about that border fence?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 11:42:27 AM »
Well hell, there's always landmines.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 11:45:02 AM »
Well hell, there's always landmines.

Agree 1 billion percent.

Land mine the heck out of it, put up signs in English and Spanish, use high quality plastic mines that can't be picked up on a metal detector.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 11:58:17 AM »
OK, now sharpen the corners of the fence rail posts so they are engineered to cut anyone that tries that stunt.

I agree, a fence isn't perfect.

The only way I say that a fence isn't needed, though, is if we abandon the ENTIRE welfare infrastructure in our country.  Then I'm fine with open borders (aside from terrorism concerns).  No social security, unemployment.  Eliminate the entire notion of an SSN so that identity fraud is meaningless.  And require voters to prove citizenship by presenting a valid US Passport, along with a valid state ID that demonstrates proof of residence in the precinct.  No lesser forms of ID allowed whatsoever.

A fence is a good start.

A fence with knife-shaped support beams and weight sensors to tell if someone's climbing it is even better.

A fence with knife-shaped support beams and weight sensors to tell if someone's climbing, then land mines on the US-side is going to stop 99.9% of all illegal immigration after the first kaboom hits the news.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 12:07:48 PM »
grease it
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 12:13:44 PM »
Also:

While slender and athletic college coeds can climb that fence...

Short, squat oaxaqueños cannot.  Especially overweight or pregnant ones.  And it makes it that much harder to carry the necessary gear for a desert crossing.  Typically most Mexican border crossers have several pounds of food and water in plastic grocery bags or cheap school backpacks.  They like jars of mayo and vienna fingers, in particular.  The coyotes recommend mayo to them because it has water as well as high fat content.  Canned food with water in it accomplishes two things... calories and hydration.

You increase the weight of the person climbing (with body fat, or with lots of water/food in a pack), and the necessary friction to hold in place increases.  One of those girls was sliding quite a bit.  If she had a 20 pound backpack on, I bet she couldn't climb it at all.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 12:25:24 PM »
grease it with mayo

send patrols to round up the lickers
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 12:35:07 PM »
Most opposition arguments to the fence - including the linked video of girls climbing one side of it - are some variation of "But it won't stop ALL illegals!!"

It isn't meant to.

A fence will only stop some percentage of illegals - and then, only if it's a REAL, continuous fence, not a bunch of isolated, unconnected segments like we have now. A fence is only PART of a comprehensive immigration reform program, to include mass deportations, employer sanctions, serious INS raids, etc. (Bet that's not what Obama/Reid/Pelosi think of when they talk "reform", right?)

There are plenty of ways of making the fence more effective - spikes or razor wire on top, punji sticks at the bottom . . . but the powers-that-be (including the previous administration) don't WANT to stop illegals. For reasons that have been discussed many times in these forums.   [ar15]
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 12:45:52 PM »
Watching the Dog Whisperer one night I was amused by the two Great Danes barking furiously at the host as if they were guard dogs at the gates of hell.

The host calmly stepped over the expandable gate in the doorway that was all of 18 inches high and barely standing up, let alone restraining several hundred pounds of canine. The gate (fence) was a visible tangible border that provided the dogs with allowable boundaries. It didn't have to be able to constrain them, just remind them of what is allowed.

A fence at our border provides a very visual message. A message that if you cross it, you are violating a border that means something to us, we are no longer going to look the other way. It is a representation of OUR mindset and expectations as well as a minor deterrent to illegal border crossers.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 02:58:25 PM »
oddly the enviromentalists are able to stop razor wire etc and are opposed to the fence in general as it stops critter movements, the non two legged kind
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 05:07:47 PM »
In other news, the border patrol was involved in another shoot out in Nogales Arizona today.