Author Topic: 4th Amendment at SCOTUS  (Read 1154 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
4th Amendment at SCOTUS
« on: January 13, 2011, 03:18:52 PM »
http://www.wiod.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=104668&article=8041724

Dopers smoking weed in their apartment.

Police outside.  No warrant.

They "smell weed."  So they skip the warrant under the basis that the suspects might flush their joints, kick the door down, arrest, prosecute.

It goes all the way to Kentucky Supreme Court who acquit on 4th Amendment violation, then the state takes it to SCOTUS.

I normally like Scalia.

But:

"Everything done was perfectly lawful," Scalia said. "It's unfair to the criminal? Is that the problem? I really don't understand the problem."

He's making a malicious presumption that government is supposed to not make.

He's assuming that a police suspect is a criminal.

A criminal is someone who is convicted.

A judge should not be referring to a suspect in a police investigation as a criminal, IMO.

I'm a bit perturbed that I agree with Kagan, Sotomayor and Ginsberg.  I wish the lib Justices cared a bit more about real civil liberties and a little less about black rights and pot rights. ;/
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: 4th Amendment at SCOTUS
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 03:30:53 PM »
I'd like to hear what Thomas said.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 03:37:17 PM »
this wasn't about pot rights

it was about cops chasing a suspect and him being ahead of them barely out of sight and them hearing a door slam. there were 2 doors they knocked at one got no answer but could hear movement and smell dope. so they nailed the door.  the court ruled appropriately
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 04:27:26 PM »
I smell a victimless crime.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 07:49:12 PM »
<parody author=Scalia>A mere victimless crime is no reason not to carry out a death sentence properly reached.</parody>
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)