Author Topic: Purdue Student Disappears  (Read 5508 times)

Nick1911

• Administrator
Purdue Student Disappears
« on: January 21, 2007, 06:11:09 AM »
http://www.jconline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070121/NEWS0501/701210354/1152/SPORTS06

Search yields nothing; exhaustion sets in

By SOPHIA VORAVONG
svoravong@journalandcourier.com

(By Michael Heinz/Journal & Courier)

Dale Steffey woke up at 4:30 a.m. Saturday, full of adrenaline and ready to search the Purdue University campus for a cell phone that authorities believe belongs to his missing son.

Twelve hours later, he appeared weary, yet he tried to stay optimistic -- though an extensive hunt by hundreds of volunteers in the afternoon turned up nothing.

"We are running out of steam now," Steffey said, referring to himself and his wife, Dawn Adams. "We're looking for the phone specifically. ... But the two are not necessarily together."

The Bloomington couple's only son, 19-year-old freshman Wade Steffey, went missing shortly after midnight Jan. 13, seemingly without a trace.

The corner of Tower Drive and North Intramural Drive, where he was last seen, is heavily traveled by both foot and car traffic at that hour.

"We need help. We need more avenues to investigate," Adams said, pleading with anyone out that night to call police -- even with details that may seem irrelevant.

"I'm at a loss. I have no idea what the scenario was for his disappearance," Adams said.

The Purdue University Police Department, which is leading the investigation, also wants to speak to anyone who was out between midnight and 3 a.m. Jan. 13 on the north end of campus.

Hundreds lend support

Nearly 300 people showed up to a student-organized vigil Saturday afternoon at Purdue's bell tower, praying for Wade Steffey's safe return. Among them were Purdue University President Martin Jischke and his wife, Patty.

Originally planned to last more than an hour, the vigil instead was cut to just a few minutes so those in attendance could help with the cell phone search.

Investigators hoped that finding the phone would give clues as to Steffey's whereabouts.

"He is a freshman like me," Purdue student Megan Lewis said. "I personally don't know him, but I feel a connection to him because of that.

"I feel it is an obligation and a responsibility to help search for him."

Investigators learned Friday that Steffey's Verizon-serviced cell phone had transmitted a signal until Jan. 17 from a triangular area roughly bounded by Russell Street, State Street and Northwestern Avenue.

They learned that the phone "pinged" at a cell phone tower Jan. 12 from an area that includes Phi Kappa Theta fraternity, where the aviation technology major was attending a party with friends.

The signal then shifted to the location where volunteers searched Saturday.

That included much of the academic campus, Ross-Ade Stadium, Mackey Arena, a construction site and Cary Quadrangle residence hall, where Steffey lived.

Volunteers dragged through trash receptacles and peered in and under bushes in Saturday's chilly weather, looking for Steffey's silver, flip-style phone.

University spokeswoman Jeanne Norberg said the search turned up some shoes, socks and cell phone parts -- but nothing definitely linked to Steffey, a National Merit scholar at Purdue on a full-ride scholarship.

His parents, meanwhile, have not ruled out any accidental possibilities for his disappearance, though they appear to suspect foul play.

Steffey's good friend, Megan Priest, attended the fraternity party with him and said he didn't appear impaired "in the least."

He did not have a car on campus or access to one.

"I know that he is not under his own control," Adams said of her son, both a track and cross country runner at Bloomington South High School and an Eagle Scout.

Added Dale Steffey, tears welling in his eyes: "It's hard to believe that someone can just disappear like this."

This situation is really weird - I really wonder what happened to the poor guy.  I helped search, but it's really not looking good, and the police are at a loss for ideas.  It amazes me that someone can disappear in this day and age.

Lee

• friend
Re: Purdue Student Disappears
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 06:32:35 AM »
There is something very odd going on in the midwest.  There have been multiple cases like this one over the past year or two...from Columbus, Ohio to the upper midwest.  The victims mostly seem to be college age, white males, that have little or no reason to simply vanish, i.e run away on their own.  They simply vanish after leaving the bars late at night.  I'd bet the bank that there is a team (two or more) of gay serial killers roaming the midwest right now.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 07:03:27 AM »
gay serial killers

Oh, murder is such grand fun! It's faaaabulous! 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Lee

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 09:03:30 AM »
I think we have a suuuuuuspect lol.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 09:56:29 AM »
I had a hearing Friday afternoon and saw the helicopters working the woods along the Wabash downtown.

Honor student, athlete, engineering major, born and raised 2 hours from West Lafayette, he doesn't seem to be the kind that would take off for Vegas or NYC.  Unlike some who did road trips in undergard. grin

Nick, it is not that unusual for people to disappear.  Happens all the time in my line of work.  People just simply vanish.  However, in his SES and the SES you are used to, it is very uncommon for people to disappear unless they are murdered.

Gay serial killer(s) is my theory as well.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 10:21:28 AM »
If only he was a blond, pretty, white girl... People would take this more seriously.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 10:24:19 AM »
How are the Purdue police not taking this seriously, carebear?

It's been leading the media stories here for several days now.  Flyers, volunteers looking for him, continual media attention, how are the autorities not taking it seriously???
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 10:32:47 AM »
How are the Purdue police not taking this seriously, carebear?

It's been leading the media stories here for several days now.  Flyers, volunteers looking for him, continual media attention, how are the autorities not taking it seriously???

I was making the obligatory "the media and authorities only care about missing pretty white girls" comment.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 10:43:50 AM »
Oh, I see.  Sorry I was confused (as usual). police

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2007, 10:47:28 AM »
Oh, I see.  Sorry I was confused (as usual). police

I couldn't think of an appropriate smilie.  I probably should have just written something.

What does SES mean?

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2007, 10:48:04 AM »
Forgot got to say that I feel very sorry for the parents of the kid.  They had raised a wonderfully decent young man--intelligent, handsome, fit, and dedicated to his education and future, with a very bright future in aeroengineering, everything a parent could want.  He had a bright future of gainful employment, marriage and a family ahead of him.

I hope I am wrong and their horror is only temporary, but based on past experiences in these matters I fear he is in an orchard or a ditch somewhere never to return.  I hope I am wrong.

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2007, 10:50:31 AM »
SES=Socio-Economic Status.  His education, intelligence, geographic region, family background, wealth, potential income, etc. are all factored in.  It is how Americans say "class".

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2007, 10:58:19 AM »
Oh.  I just say "class".

I'll go pack my things for exile.  grin

That makes sense, I actually use that description, though not the term, when people start asking about racial or income impacts on crime.  My understanding is, once you control for SES a lot of those differences become meaningless.  Middle class folks, like this kid, are pretty much all alike.

I'll remember the term.

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2007, 11:11:14 AM »
care, exactly right.  Middle class White, Blacks, Hispanics, Asians, inter alia all have the same behaviors and goals.  I've never understood why the Left, who prances around signing "we are the world", tiptoes around this fact (the stability of middle classness) when discussing crime. 

It's like they are afraid to admit that minorities (excepting many Asian groups) compose a lot of the urban lower SESs and thus contribute to the crime rate.  However, take these same minorities and move them up the SES ladder (edcuation, 2 parent families, strong moral standards, etc.) and crime rates approach zero.

IME and IMHO the more that can be done to kick the African-American, Hispanic SESs whose culture is influencing more lower white SESs (e.g. the rise in illegitimate white births, a decline in the respect for education, etc.) in the backside back toward middle class values (of any race or ethnicity), the faster the crime rate would approach 1907 levels.

Don't blame guns for crime, blame the Left that crumbled the cake of traditional morals and freed people from the lash of poverty and allowed everything to slide downhill.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2007, 12:19:57 PM »
Why are we suspecting a "gay" serial killer?  Huh?

Lee

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2007, 01:15:30 PM »
Gacy, Dahmer, on and on...who typically abducts young men...lesbians, straight women, straight males?
I would suspect a pedophile if a bunch of children were missing...wouldn't you?

Edited to add:  I guess my supposition is a little premature.  Not to mention the sexual orientation thing - hopefully these guys will be found alive.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2007, 01:19:55 PM »
This is another one  - missing from OSU in Columbus.  Med student- happy with girlfriend - supposedly happy
and well adjusted overall.  Was planning a trip with GF when he disappeared -somewhere between a campus bar and home - sometime after 1 am (I think). 

http://someoneismissing.com/shaffer/index.htm

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2007, 06:29:11 PM »
Oh, OK, I'm not really familiar with those cases. 

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2007, 07:03:03 PM »
Not familiar?

Google John Wayne Gacy, or Jeff (The Chef) Dahmer...

Methinx there's a roamer...

Has anyone seen "A History of Violence" - the guys in that movie make me wonder how many like 'em may be out there...

Blog under construction

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2007, 07:18:13 PM »
Google John Wayne Gacy, or Jeff (The Chef) Dahmer...

Yes, I'm aware there are search engines I could use.  Thanks.   rolleyes

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2007, 08:49:36 AM »
Everyone I've talked to today seems pretty depressed about the search.  It's been a week since Wade disappeared, and nobody has been able to find a thing about him.  It's becoming harder to deny the fact that he's probably gone for good.   sad

On another note...
I'm a student at Purdue, too.  How could I have gone this long without realizing there are at least two other Purdue folks here on APS, El Tejon and Nick1911?  Are there any other Boilermakers hiding out there?

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2007, 08:52:58 AM »
HTG, no, I'm not a Purdue folk, although I do not mind dating Purdue students, professors and administration officials. grin police

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2007, 08:58:13 AM »
fistful, to be fair, most of those guys are not really "homosexual" but more like pan sexual--anything all the time.

The important thing is that they are chemically imbalanced murderous thugs not their sexuality.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2007, 09:03:00 AM »
But you live/work here in West Layflat, no?  Or perhaps in the "big city" on the other side of the river?

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2007, 09:48:45 AM »
Why are we suspecting a "gay" serial killer?  Huh?

Who else is going to have motive AND the requisite strength to subdue a young, healthy man AND catrry off his corpse to dispose of it afterwards?  There are other factors as well:

Its very rare for a lesbian to have both the desire and succcess at harming men - while almost a stereotype, extreme lesbianism seems to manifest itself as an aversion to being around men, rather than a desire to actively go out and eradicate them.  Second, the strategem with the greatest probability of success, the "honey trap", involves appearences and behavior that are typically an anethema to an extremem lesbian.

Also, while its possible that all of these men are victims of non-sexual crime, the common factors of age, education , and location imply a victim profile that typically is not present in economic or non-sexual thrill crimes - they tend to exhitit much more randomness in their victims.  This counter0indicates a straight man or woman being involved.

As for the straight women, serial murder is almost exclusively the domain of men, and the few exceptions are almost exclusively of non-heterosexual orientation.  Odds alone preclude this possiblity.

So if its not likely gay or straight women, and probably not straight men,...  who are you left with?
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...