Author Topic: tell me about trailer hitches , brakes etc.  (Read 1244 times)

tokugawa

• friend
tell me about trailer hitches , brakes etc.
« on: March 25, 2007, 05:23:19 PM »
Twice a year or so I run to Ore. to buy wood for the biz. Usually I use our 1 ton ford van, but the capacity is getting maxed out as we get more wood every time. I am thinking about a trailer, something about 12-16 feet long, that I can put about 2-3000 lbs on.  The ford bumper has a place for a ball, it says 5000 lbs gross weight and 500 lbs tongue weight.  Is this realistic or do I need a new hitch?  And what about brakes?
 Any assistance for a newbie much appreciated.

Car Knocker

• friend
Re: tell me about trailer hitches , brakes etc.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 05:30:39 PM »
Will you be carrying wood in both the van and trailer?
Don

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 06:30:47 PM »
I've towed some heavy stuff with a Ford Van bumper hitch, however, I would suggest a Class III hitch (one that mounts to the frame) You'll have better trailering and control. Electric Brakes are optional with that weight, but if you're doing mountains, they would be a plus. I just towed a 72 Cutlass from the farm to my house. 3800 lbs of car plus another ton of trailer. I have four wheel disk brakes and the towing package from Ford, so braking wasn't a problem. No major hills or mountains.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 08:11:14 PM »
Yes. I am going to load both the van and the trailer. The bumper hitch is bolted right to the frame, with three 3/8" bolts on each side. The bumper is reinforced with a welded 1/8" box type design between the mounting points.  Then I looked at one of the aftermarket receiver hitches , welded up from 2" or 3" tube, and it had the same rating on it, so I was a bit confused. Maybe I do not need as big of a trailer as I was thinking, for 2000lbs cargo.  I guess I should go to a trailer dealer and look around.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 02:47:17 AM »
You need to observe the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating as well. That's the total combined van/trailer/cargo weight. In addition, the trailer rating and hitch rating need to be enough to carry the empty weight of the trailer plus the lumber. Especially with loads like lumber, it's tempting to load the max cubic footage that will fit, but this will almost certainly dangerously exceed the GVWR and risk having the trailer drive the van. Caution is warranted.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 02:51:44 AM »
Rent a heavier truck? It'll save you wear and tear on the van.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 04:37:24 AM »
You need to observe the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating as well. That's the total combined van/trailer/cargo weight. In addition, the trailer rating and hitch rating need to be enough to carry the empty weight of the trailer plus the lumber. Especially with loads like lumber, it's tempting to load the max cubic footage that will fit, but this will almost certainly dangerously exceed the GVWR and risk having the trailer drive the van. Caution is warranted.

TC

Uh...no.  Only the trailer tounge weight (around 10 percent of total trailer weight) counts against the tow vehicle Gross Vehicle Weight, as that is the only component that is supported by the tow vehicle's suspension and tires.  Hitch rating needs to meet or exceed the projected tounge weight.  The trailer itself must not be loaded over its own Gross Vehicle Weight, and the total weight of the loaded trailer must not exceed the maximum permissible tow weight, (which is where things like brakes and steering come in...).  If his bumber sez "5000 lb trailer/500 lb tounge weight", and its a full-size one-ton truck or van, he can easily handle a 1,200 - 1,500 lb trailer with 1 & 1/2 tons of wood on it. It will handle much differently, of course.  Plus a reciever hitch is a wise upgrade - never hurts to have some insurance...
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 06:03:45 AM »
"The bumper is reinforced with a welded 1/8" box type design between the mounting points."

That sounds to me as though it's strong enough for the proposed load; the more worrisome part is "The bumper hitch is bolted right to the frame, with three 3/8" bolts on each side."

Three 3/8" bolts in shear just doesn't seem to me as quite good enough.  Dunno for sure.

I'd go by some place that makes hitches and do a bit of brain-picking.  Actual seeing is better than reading about it, here.

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 06:16:56 AM »
I like a frame mounted hitch over a bumper hitch.

Reasons being that a bumper hitch limits how sharp you can turn while backing up, the tongue will pinch sooner on a bumper hitch vs a receiver hitch. I used to have a 4x8 trailer that at most you could get a 45 degree angle on a bumper hitch because the tongue would get stopped by the bumper if I cut it too sharp.

Also with a receiver hitch you can purchase different ball mounts with different heights to pull a variety of trailers at level. At one time I had 4 trailers and each of them sat at different heights.

-Charby

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 06:21:27 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I will go from here with some hands on looking around.

BozemanMT

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 03:05:02 PM »
Get a receiver hitch
bumper hitches suck
They cost about $300 installed, not a big deal
and yes, you do have to watch your tow rating (look it up online it will tell you)
most people way overload their vehicles.
Brian
CO

From land of the free and home of the brave to land of the fee and home of the slave

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2007, 04:07:25 PM »
So what you guys are saying is that 19,000lbs on a class three hitch on my f250 is to much?  police
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

BozemanMT

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2007, 04:38:09 PM »
yes
Brian
CO

From land of the free and home of the brave to land of the fee and home of the slave