Author Topic: Indoor Range Clean Up  (Read 565 times)

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
Indoor Range Clean Up
« on: March 26, 2007, 01:27:56 PM »
So, one of my neighborhood acquaintances here works with the Boy Scouts and does a shooting program with them.  As he was in today he was telling me that one of the local high schools has an air gun team.  He also mentioned the school had had a regular range in the basement but it was a lead hazard.
He added that the airgun coach had thoughts about getting the range cleaned up and starting to field a rifle team, probably the way they had in the 1930s-1970s.
I told him it was a great idea, to count me in if he needed anything.  He did say the coach went to the principal once to show him a prize airgun, like $400+ worth and the principal acted like he had just been handed a snake.  So getting the program revived will take some doing.
Has anyone had any experience with old high school indoor ranges and their perils?  Also old high school principals and their perils in proposing a high school sport with--gasp--guns?
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

HankB

• friend
Re: Indoor Range Clean Up
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 03:51:05 AM »
Airgun ranges have little lead hazard, as the lead comes in chunks and only a little will spall off against the backstop.

If the range was used for firearms, then things like primer residue may have coating everything with a fine powder.

Neither of these is much of a hazard for the occasional user who washes his hands afterwards and avoids ingesting food or drink (or biting his nails) on the range.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain