Author Topic: Neck shot drops hostage-taker like a sack of potatos  (Read 5228 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Neck shot drops hostage-taker like a sack of potatos
« on: January 13, 2014, 09:36:45 PM »
Amazing how the guy dropped at the instant of the shot sound.

Saw this on channel 2 over-the air news at 7 in Denver.  They'll probably edit out the actual shot in later broadcasts.

Seven-Eleven at Perry and Colfax this afternoon.

Robber enters with gun, manager and one customer in store, one employee in back, and a delivery person delivering baked goods.  Employee in back goes into a hiding place, calls 911, runs out the back door.

Police start arriving, gunman takes the bakery person hostage.  Police demand he lets the hostage go, he does not.  Has her by the collar as he tries to leave the store.    

Video shows him with the hostage close up (body contact), gun to her head.  He looks around, starts to retreat back into the store, is shot just before he regains cover behind the door jamb.

He falls instantly.  I mean bang and gravity took over.  Hostage was left just standing there.

Police say he was shot "just above the shoulders," which to me means a shot to the spinal cord or darned close.

From what I saw, the officer had no choice at that point but to end the threat.  No blood or gore or even the bullet hole in his hoodie was seen in the video.  No details on the weapon used or distance involved.

I was stunned at how quickly he just went limp.  I had heard before that a neck shot like that would instantly incapacitate a person, but seeing it in real time was amazing.

I'm not being bloodthirsty here (you all know that's not my style), just documenting it before they edit it out of the later news.  I hope the Officer can take comfort in the fact that the decision to shoot was entirely justified, to my mind.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 09:59:02 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Neck shot drops hostage-taker like a sack of potatos
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 09:51:05 PM »
I love a happy ending!

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 09:56:04 PM »
Bad guy dead or just paralyzed?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 09:58:38 PM »
Bad guy dead or just paralyzed?

Not dead yet. Critical condition. I swear thugs are like roaches...hard as hell to kill.

http://kdvr.com/2014/01/13/raw-video-man-takes-hostage-outside-7-eleven/#ooid=A4MnJ3ajqS-UQvGmVZVHCyuHc8tireok

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 10:08:25 PM »
I love a happy ending!

Darn!  Looks like there will be a delay.

Disconnect the brain from the body and there is no more signal to the muscles.  They go to the default state of utter and total relaxation.

There is a quiet but persistent discussion on shooting to sever the spinal cord as opposed to destroying the brain stem.  Folks in the first camp say even with a brain stem shot the brain can send signals that translate into the muscles twitching.  And yet there is film evidence of brain stem shots with the body also falling like the proverbial sack of potatoes.  However, most of what I am aware of (thankfully not a whole lot) does not involve someone in the process of wanting to pull/press the trigger.

I'm not sure how one would scientifically test to see if it is possible for the trigger to be pulled/pressed as it seems you would need someone who was intending for that to happen.  Not sure you coud recruit volunteers for the study.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: Re: Neck shot drops hostage-taker like a sack of potatos
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 10:08:27 PM »
Not dead yet. Critical condition. I swear thugs are like roaches...hard as hell to kill.

http://kdvr.com/2014/01/13/raw-video-man-takes-hostage-outside-7-eleven/#ooid=A4MnJ3ajqS-UQvGmVZVHCyuHc8tireok

The greater a burden they are to society the harder they are to kill or injure.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 10:30:37 PM »
Darn!  Looks like there will be a delay.

Disconnect the brain from the body and there is no more signal to the muscles.  They go to the default state of utter and total relaxation.

There is a quiet but persistent discussion on shooting to sever the spinal cord as opposed to destroying the brain stem.  Folks in the first camp say even with a brain stem shot the brain can send signals that translate into the muscles twitching.  And yet there is film evidence of brain stem shots with the body also falling like the proverbial sack of potatoes.  However, most of what I am aware of (thankfully not a whole lot) does not involve someone in the process of wanting to pull/press the trigger.

I'm not sure how one would scientifically test to see if it is possible for the trigger to be pulled/pressed as it seems you would need someone who was intending for that to happen.  Not sure you coud recruit volunteers for the study.

stay safe.

I think that training for a neck shot is not a realistic goal.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 10:34:49 PM »
I think that training for a neck shot is not a realistic goal.

Perhaps not for self defense situations.  Somehow I have the feeling the shot in question was taken by a "designated marksman".

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 11:31:10 PM »
Charlie Postelwaite would be proud  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 11:42:10 PM »

bucket mouth!

One of my favorite scenes from one of my favorite movies.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 11:52:44 PM »
Maybe he just wanted some skittles.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 11:55:34 PM »
^ I hate to admit it, for such a serious situation, but that was pretty funny!

Correction to my OP:  from the video I saw on KWGN, it looked like he had the gun to her head.  The linked video above from KVOD shows he had it to her back.  The KVOD video shows the bullet punching the glass behind him, which I didn't notice in the KWGN video.  I don't know if they're the same video or not.

I noticed he curled forward slightly as he fell.

Just poking around in Google maps and the street view, it looks like the shot was taken from  under the gas pump roof, about 80 or 90 feet away.  This is based on the post behind which the gunman started to disappear, which looks like the posts around the gas pumps.

In a "sidebar interview," a training Police Officer at the Denver PD range said that Officers are extensively trained in various shooting situations and that these videos will probably be added to the training regimen.  

Latest news, 9PM, states the gunman is still in critical condition.  The bakery lady went back several hours later and drove off in her truck.

Bread's probably pretty stale by now.  
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 12:03:21 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 05:24:17 AM »
My only experience with a neck shot was on a groundhog, judging by the chunks of spine from the exit wound I got the spine dead center. No twitch, no tensing of the muscles, just slowly fell from standing up on hind feet to the side. So a Hornady XTP driven hot out of a 9mm is quite a groundhog round, especially if you sneak up to 3 yards directly behind the varmint cong.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 08:47:36 AM »
Glad I didn't have to make that shot.  I never considered the necessity of sighting a rifle in at ~ 20yds.  Reckon the po-po have several precision weapons, already sighted in at various distances?  I reckon it wouldn't be THAT hard to hold under at ranges that close, but it sure as hell would be nerve-wracking.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 08:53:06 AM »
^^^^clickclickclickclick
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2014, 09:23:18 AM »
I've seen 200 pound deer and a couple coyotes shot in the cervical spine and they drop like a bag of sand.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2014, 10:21:26 AM »
My only experience with a neck shot was on a groundhog, judging by the chunks of spine from the exit wound I got the spine dead center. No twitch, no tensing of the muscles, just slowly fell from standing up on hind feet to the side. So a Hornady XTP driven hot out of a 9mm is quite a groundhog round, especially if you sneak up to 3 yards directly behind the varmint cong.

You sneaked to within 3 yards of a whistle pig? Remind me to never pi$$ you off! The closest I ever got to one (low crawling, which I can no longer perform) was about 40 feet. Might have been able to get closer, but I was just getting into position (he was behind a chunk of concrete) for the shot.

I've seen 200 pound deer and a couple coyotes shot in the cervical spine and they drop like a bag of sand.

I shot a buck in the spine once. Bang! Sack-O-Potatoes!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2014, 10:25:07 AM »
Glad I didn't have to make that shot.  I never considered the necessity of sighting a rifle in at ~ 20yds.  Reckon the po-po have several precision weapons, already sighted in at various distances?  I reckon it wouldn't be THAT hard to hold under at ranges that close, but it sure as hell would be nerve-wracking.
Most police 'sniper' shootings happen within 100 yards, many inside of 50, since the cops can usually surround the place and get pretty close. Long Range shots are pretty rare.
http://forum.snipershide.com/snipers-hide-bolt-action-rifles/199611-swat-snipers-average-distance-target.html

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2014, 10:52:35 AM »
. . . Just poking around in Google maps and the street view, it looks like the shot was taken from  under the gas pump roof, about 80 or 90 feet away.  This is based on the post behind which the gunman started to disappear, which looks like the posts around the gas pumps.
I think the cop who fired was closer - if you look to the left of the perp, you can see the sniper's reflection in the store window - you can even see smoke from the muzzle blast at the shot. Once the camera zooms out, it looks like the shooter was within 50 feet.

Nonetheless, a good shoot.

(Anyone want to bet that if the hoodie-wearing perp had a darker complexion, various community organizers would already be protesting?)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2014, 11:46:31 AM »

Something often forgotten is the sight-over-bore distance and how that affects close range shooting from a rifle.
If you're zeroed at 50-100+, how far out is that shot off by 2-4 inches?
Only reason I like shooting the AR indoors is so I can close distance shoot the paper to get used to adjusting for the difference.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2014, 12:01:41 PM »
Something often forgotten is the sight-over-bore distance and how that affects close range shooting from a rifle.
Only reason I like shooting the AR indoors is so I can close distance shoot the paper to get used to adjusting for the difference.

Yep  ;)

There's some advantage to grandpa's 30-30 with iron sights mounted right down on the barrel.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2014, 01:44:28 PM »

if your zeroed at 100yds, the most you could be off is the distance between the center of the scope to the center of the bore, correct?  when taking a shot at a vertical object like a neck, wouldn't being within 2 inches get the job done?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2014, 03:25:37 PM »
My brother ran into that this last deer season.  Had a scoped 270 all ready to go and a nice deer comes up 15 yards away and he realized he had no idea where the POI would be.  He wished he had a hunting pistol handy.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2014, 03:28:44 PM »

The lawyer in Columbus, OH ??
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2014, 03:30:06 PM »
My brother ran into that this last deer season.  Had a scoped 270 all ready to go and a nice deer comes up 15 yards away and he realized he had no idea where the POI would be.  He wished he had a hunting pistol handy.

I shot a deer at that range once.  I had a nice spot watching a game trail about 50 yards away and this little buck practically steps on me.

The shoulders/chest filled the entire scope view.  I guess the scope offset at that range is less than my wobble at a more reasonable distance.  It didn't seem to bother Mr. Whitetail - at least not for very long  =)