Author Topic: Neck shot drops hostage-taker like a sack of potatos  (Read 5226 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

geronimotwo

• friend
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Neck shot drops hostage-taker like a sack of potatos
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2014, 03:43:56 PM »
The lawyer in Columbus, OH ??

Seriously?  You did not recognize the movie reference?

You shot my friend?
Yep.
BANG! (center of forehead)

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2014, 04:41:29 PM »
Glad I didn't have to make that shot.  I never considered the necessity of sighting a rifle in at ~ 20yds.  Reckon the po-po have several precision weapons, already sighted in at various distances?  I reckon it wouldn't be THAT hard to hold under at ranges that close, but it sure as hell would be nerve-wracking.

Depending on the height of your sights above the bore axis, you might need to hold *over*.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2014, 04:52:03 PM »
Between holdover and the ambiguity of physiological landmarks concealed by the hoodie, I wonder if that's why he took it in the neck in the first place.

Seems like someone shooting from the vantage point of the cameraman had a much better and safer shot. Although I don't mean to MMQB, as that's not the kind of thing you can easily plan out before hand.
I promise not to duck.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2014, 05:00:36 PM »
Seriously?  You did not recognize the movie reference?

stay safe.
Yep.  Open Range is one of the best Westerns of the last 10 or 15 years.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2014, 05:47:04 PM »
Looks like the SWAT team was within 10 yards judging by how quickly they got to the perp after he dropped.

They are running ARs, so they probably have a 2.5 inch offset, depending on their sights. I couldn't tell if they had Aimpoints or EOTechs or scopes.

All in all, if the cop was aiming for the head and hit the neck, then that is a poor shot.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2014, 05:57:35 PM »
Looks like the SWAT team was within 10 yards judging by how quickly they got to the perp after he dropped.

They are running ARs, so they probably have a 2.5 inch offset, depending on their sights. I couldn't tell if they had Aimpoints or EOTechs or scopes.

All in all, if the cop was aiming for the head and hit the neck, then that is a poor shot.

2.5" offset, probably zeroed to 100-200 yards, I would expect poi to be at least 2" low at 20 yards for something as quick as a .223
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2014, 10:31:00 PM »
Yep.  Open Range is one of the best Westerns of the last 10 or 15 years.

Kevin Costner has had a few flops but, when he nails it, he NAILS it! IE, Dances With Wolves, No Way Out, Open Range...
I know a guy who guided for him on a fishing trip, and he said Kevin was a super guy in real life.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 10:34:16 AM by Sergeant Bob »
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2014, 10:36:09 PM »
2.5" offset, probably zeroed to 100-200 yards, I would expect poi to be at least 2" low at 20 yards for something as quick as a .223

Maybe.

For a SWAT team AR, I would expect a 25 or 50 yard zero, especially if they kick doors.  In any case, I expect a SWAT officer to have better accuracy than that, assuming the shot was aimed for the head. Then again, maybe the shooter was using a bolt action .308 with a scope and didn't know his short range dope.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2014, 05:39:48 AM »
"Then again, maybe the shooter was using a bolt action .308 with a scope and didn't know his short range dope." 

Hmmm, I don't see that.  Supposedly these guys are trained to the max.  And anyone who's shot close up with high sights should know that.  Presuming he shot low, I'd rather suspect the hoodie hid the topography of the anatomy, or the fact that few telescopes focus well at close range.  (I've got a 12X varmint scope that won't focus to 25 yards.)

Apparently the dipwad is still alive as of the news at 7PM --I've been out of touch since then.  El Dipwado had quite a record and did time, too, according to that 7 PM report.  At that point --7PM -- it wasn't clear if he actually had a gun, so maybe he was bluffing his way through the whole thing.

And I was looking at the bullet hole in the glass.  Without scaling to verify it, it looked bigger than a .22, like maybe .308 or even 9mm but I frankly don't know how glass reacts to a 3000 f/s projectile.  Would it blow a hole that much bigger than the projectile?

I don't see an urban PD using a .308  in a close quarters urban situation.

All this, bearing in mind that it's all speculation at this point, but it's interesting to MMQB the ballistics anyhow.

In any case, job well done, DPD!  Everyone went home safe except His Dipwadness.

Terry
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 05:46:50 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.