Author Topic: New: Chains may now be required on cars  (Read 2136 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
New: Chains may now be required on cars
« on: December 26, 2014, 09:59:07 AM »
Heard out of the corner of my ear while making breakfast.  We got snow here since yesterday, Christmas.  Not that big a deal for those of us who are used to it, but the TV news is "pumping it up," of course.

But for the first time, chains may be required for passenger cars on I-70 from Golden going up the mountains.

'Bout time.  Despite my natural antipathy towards "rule-making,"  I've had to sit around, burning fuel in a huge traffic jam, after someone spun out a mile ahead.

It has been mandatory for truckers because hauling an 80,000lb trailer is not as easy as hauling just your own ass in the snow, but these guys are pros, while passenger car drivers are mostly amateurs.

Apparently, from what the C-DOT spokeslady said, on average, a one-minute stoppage due to your own error, will result in a six-minute delay for those behind you.

Anyhow, something new for Colorado.

Terry

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: New: Chains may now be required on cars
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 10:03:49 AM »
Tirechains.com. Buy the lil plastic ramp that helps put em on

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 10:09:33 AM »
I hope such rules never reach this corner of the world. I think it's a huge mistake.

Chains are, IMHO, dangerous. I'm old enough that I started driving long before studded tires came into existence, and when snow tire tread design was in its infancy. We routinely used chains, and they were of VERY limited practicality. They worked pretty well on hard-packed snow, and much less well on ice. And they were nothing but trouble on bare pavement. Break one link you you had an instant flail destroying your coachwork. Back then every store sold boxes of "Monkey Links," to be used for repairing busted chains. And chains only work if the tires are rolling. Slam on the brakes, and the cross-chains will roll out from under the contact patch, effectively resulting in -- no chains.

Good snow tires with studs are far superior to chains.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 10:41:28 AM »
The Washington state Department of Transportation frequently requires chains or alternatives when driving across the mountain passes.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

• friends
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 10:46:17 AM »
The best/worst thing chains do when the break is shear off your brake lines

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 12:03:00 PM »
California (of course) throws "chain law" out at the slightest hint of anything for I80 going over Donner Pass. That includes four-wheelers. I haven't heard of mass carnage resulting from it yet.

What has happened is that companies that specialize in renting, installing and removing chains now exist. Now all a driver need do is stop at a chaining station, have then installed, go over the mountain to the de-chaining station, have them removed and go on. No doubt the same will occur for Vail Pass before long.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 12:19:33 PM »
Some people are ditching their chains and going with autosock as an alternative. I guess they are easier than chains to install, I just don't know how durable they are. I drive a 4x4 with "traction" tires so I haven't run into anyplace where I am required to have chains.

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2014, 12:27:37 PM »
Some people are ditching their chains and going with autosock as an alternative. I guess they are easier than chains to install, I just don't know how durable they are. I drive a 4x4 with "traction" tires so I haven't run into anyplace where I am required to have chains.

bob

They look interesting, though you have to read the "approved state" text on their site carefully. For CA, it appears they're approved except when chains are required, which kinda defeats the purpose:

California has approved the AutoSock as an alternative traction device to chains except if/when DOT determines that chains are required and no other traction device will suffice.

GoClaws are another alternative (though I don't know where they are approved/not approved). http://www.flextrax.com/mycustompage0025.htm
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2014, 01:23:47 PM »
There was just a local news spot on the Autosock a few days ago, which is why I remembered them.

http://www.krem.com/story/money/2014/12/05/autosock-six-robblees/19976323/

bob

• friends
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2014, 01:28:08 PM »
Those socks are not cheap

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2014, 01:36:37 PM »
Those socks are not cheap

Though if they do all they say, I'd be the premium over chains for the ease of use and lightweight and easy storage.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2014, 03:27:57 PM »
California (of course) throws "chain law" out at the slightest hint of anything for I80 going over Donner Pass. That includes four-wheelers. I haven't heard of mass carnage resulting from it yet.

What has happened is that companies that specialize in renting, installing and removing chains now exist. Now all a driver need do is stop at a chaining station, have then installed, go over the mountain to the de-chaining station, have them removed and go on. No doubt the same will occur for Vail Pass before long.

Based on what happened the other time ;/ , this sort of makes better sense than closing down the pass from October through May.

stay last
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.