Author Topic: Tidbit: Ivory soap and the gunman.  (Read 1808 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Tidbit: Ivory soap and the gunman.
« on: August 06, 2015, 07:40:28 AM »

Imagine that ad running today?

I came across it while googling Ivory soap.

"Why," you ask?

Because over the decades I have noticed more than several times that if I quit using Ivory soap in the shower, I get insect bites.

"Why," you ask?

Because I've always smelled a faint trace of citronella in the soap and I figured that was why.

"So what?" you ask?

Because "historically," citronella is a known insect repellant, that's why.

So I looked it up, and it says Ivory soap contains "fragrance," with no mention of citronella.  But my nose knows, and I liked that advertisement.

So I looked further and it turns out that citronella cannot be sold as a repellant, but can be as a fragrance or perfume.

And it happened again recently.  I almost never get mosquito bites, but a day ago I  used another soap and surer than G-d made purple grapes and yellow peaches, I got three bites last night.

So there.  And screw your so-called skientifical tests which dictate that it can't be sold as an insect repellant.

Nyah!  :P  Up yours.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Tidbit: Ivory soap and the gunman.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 10:58:45 AM »
But it doesn't repel bears - hence the revolver  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 01:58:21 PM »
But it doesn't repel bears - hence the revolver  ;)
Levergun a few feet back also.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 02:37:04 PM »
Levergun a few feet back also.

And a shovel so no conservation officer asks what happened to the bear.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 03:09:22 PM »
No fire and no coffee on the non-fire. =(
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 03:16:23 PM »
No fire and no coffee on the non-fire. =(

That's a stove tent.  See the chimney pipe with smoke coming out?
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 04:29:52 PM »
OMBBQTURDUCKEN!! Who brings guns to a nice, quiet stream?! These Republicans are truly deranged! Teh childrenz!!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 08:03:06 AM »
That's a stove tent.  See the chimney pipe with smoke coming out?

OOPS
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 11:03:10 AM »
^  Don't feel bad, I missed the rifle until MechAg94 mentioned it.  (Didn't have my levergun glasses on.)

I always felt antsy about leaning long arms against trees and cars and such unless there was some kind of inside corner so they wouldn't slide down sideways.

Terry

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 11:13:13 AM »
^  Don't feel bad, I missed the rifle until MechAg94 mentioned it.  (Didn't have my levergun glasses on.)
Yeah, me too

I always felt antsy about leaning long arms against trees and cars and such unless there was some kind of inside corner so they wouldn't slide down sideways.

Terry

I always stick the muzzle in a groove in the bark, or better yet - across a lower limb or a fallen log.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2015, 01:30:54 PM »

This is why I've had bipods on a few rifles that didn't really have the accuracy to justify them, and slings on nearly all rifles; the sling lets you free your hands without putting the gun down, and lets you hang it from any branch stub if you're not carrying it.  The bipod at least keeps the muzzle and action up out of the dirt.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2015, 01:50:39 PM »
^^ "I always stick the muzzle in a groove in the bark..."

That counts as an inside corner.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2015, 05:49:40 PM »
^^ "I always stick the muzzle in a groove in the bark..."

That counts as an inside corner.

Groovy, man  :cool:

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2015, 07:57:23 AM »
^ Notcherally.

So now I had to look up turducken.  Turns out it was apparently invented right here in Colorado.

Closest I came to it was slicing a chicken thigh enough to insert a piece of hard salami (bacon's OK, too) in there, then pressing the wound closed and baking or grilling that.

Worked pretty good.  I s'pose you could call it salacken.  

I guess if you did that with the chicken in turducken, you could call it turduckenlami.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 08:22:09 AM by 230RN »

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2015, 08:02:45 AM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?