Author Topic: Dueling Sousaphones  (Read 1539 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Dueling Sousaphones
« on: September 22, 2015, 08:27:10 AM »
Looks to me like with that dancing around, these folks all had to go to the bathroom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVlS64b_4K8&feature=player_embedded

I hope they all made it.

I thought the group of 6 was better, despite being outnumbered.

It's kinda long, but enjoyable. (17 min)

Terry
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 10:00:39 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

SADShooter

• friend
Re: Dueling Sousaphones
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 08:35:05 AM »
As a high school marching band sousaphone player (translation: big-boned middle school band french horn player without much talent or practice discipline) I can attest to the lung capacities necessary to generate so much synchronous faux flatulence.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 09:32:13 AM »
Friend of  mine played a C tuba for some pizza joint.  I heard him practicing as I walked up to his house one day.  Noticed some screening over the tuba's bell, asked him about it.

Turned out, "The ^*^%ing  customers keep throwing #^&@  into it.  Peanuts, empty cigarette packs, plastic knives and spoons....  It's a ^*^%ing game with them.  They've even got a sign up, says 'Please do not throw objects into the tuba.'  I think the sign just encourages them. Or gives them the idea in the first place.  ^*^%ing  customers."

I thought that was pretty funny.  "Yeah? well you go and ^*^%ing clean it out, then."  He likened it to emptying rainwater out of a tire casing, which, as we all know, is nigh impossible without specialized methods.

Image-searching for "reflections in a tuba" yields some interesting photographs.  Those brass players keep those instruments polished to a 0.00000001 microinch  surface, looks like.  But I didn't realize they cursed so much WRT foreign objects in their instruments.

Terry

« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 10:03:03 AM by 230RN »

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 02:53:44 PM »
The Band Sergeant Major is not please with the lack of choreography skills.

Hit up YouTube for videos of Drum & Bugle Corps.  Precision playing with precision choreography - most of the time.

http://www.dailydot.com/lol/marching-band-sousaphone-blooper/

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 03:14:42 PM »
The Band Sergeant Major is not please with the lack of choreography skills.

Hit up YouTube for videos of Drum & Bugle Corps.  Precision playing with precision choreography - most of the time.

http://www.dailydot.com/lol/marching-band-sousaphone-blooper/

stay safe.

These are the War Elephants of the force. Close order drill is not their prime requisite, but rather making the other guys piss their britches.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 07:06:13 PM »
These are the War Elephants of the force. Close order drill is not their prime requisite, but rather making the other guys piss their britches.

Apparently you have never witnessed a Drum & Bugle Corps competition.

Sadly, they seem to be dying out in their last strongholds - New England and NJ/eastern PA.

Go see them while you can.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 07:39:51 PM »

Sadly, they seem to be dying out in their last strongholds - New England and NJ/eastern PA.

stay safe.

Just a little gentle humor, my good sir. I am well acquainted with the precision attainable by a well-drilled corps, and how thrilling they can be to watch. =)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 03:44:15 PM »

stay safe.

No wonder, with the problem of finding so many people combining the talents of musicianship, timing, precision drill, and dedication.  The rehearsal time alone must be a bear.

Per vaskidmark's suggestion, I sampled a couple of youtubes of drum and bugle corps.

I've always found it interesting that we are so fascinated with precision human interactions like that  --The Rockettes, Michael Flatley's Riverdance troupe, military drill teams, and so forth.

For me, looking back to  my one and only experience in military drill*, I remember the pleasure of acting in unison with the other squad members in response to the drill instructor's commands.   There's something about that.

The other thing that's interesting to me is that despite the leader showing/keeping time for the whole group, they can somehow keep the beat even with the acoustic delays.  Spread out as they are over, say, a football field, or two or three blocks(?) when in a parade, the acoustic delay (call the sound velocity 370 yards per second) must be significant in some musical pieces.

All very interesting.

Terry

* I was in the "Nautical Cadets" for a while in the mid-1940s or so.  Most fascinating were the dummy "Cadet Springfields" we used for the drills.  But I still remember the internal pleasure, hard to describe, in acting in unison with the other cadets.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 04:12:03 PM by 230RN »