Author Topic: They call it Mellow Yellow  (Read 6146 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: They call it Mellow Yellow
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2009, 06:43:41 PM »
Is it socially acceptable to drink alone in America?

Only if you're alone.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2009, 01:03:25 AM »
Only if you're alone.

You're joking, but in Russia it is generally believed only alcoholics and drunkards drink alone.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2009, 01:21:32 AM »

You're joking, but in Russia it is generally believed only alcoholics and drunkards drink alone.

The modern day Prohibitionists like the current power-wielders in MADD are trying to make it the same here. I've heard/read the propaganda in that vein from them more than once in the past twenty years.
It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2009, 02:25:46 AM »
I thought drinking alone was sometimes regarded as a sign of depression or alcoholism?  'Course, there are other factors involved.  I don't think anyone would draw that conclusion just because you happen to be home alone, drinking a beer. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

crt360

• friend
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2009, 07:21:30 PM »
I drink alone, not because of depression or alcoholism (or George Thorogood), but because I would have to drive somewhere to drink with others, then drive home.  The law here frowns heavily upon drinking and driving, so I avoid it by enjoying an occasional few beers at home, by myself.  I rarely drink when I go out.  As for Russians, don't they all drink, all the time?
For entertainment purposes only.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2009, 07:28:35 PM »
I left Russia when I was six, but I have a lot of friends who drink and my father used to drink on a very.... constant basis until he crossed the 60 mark.

The idea behind Russian drinking is to buy a bottle (or N+1 bottles) of alcohol and food (sprats or cheese are popular) and split it up between friends (the customary number is three). The notion is that you can 'hang out' better once you're all slightly drunk. Of course, this being Russia, the definition of 'slightly' drunk can be malleable, and the next thing you know, you're trying to drive into a night club...

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2009, 07:30:58 PM »
Sprats?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2009, 10:00:30 PM »
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2009, 12:09:33 AM »

Pedantic question: what's the difference between an alcoholic and a drunkard?

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2009, 12:46:59 AM »
Pedantic question: what's the difference between an alcoholic and a drunkard?

Alcoholism is a medical condition.  Being a drunkard is not. :)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2009, 12:53:34 AM »
Fresh urine is actually sterile, assuming the animal is healthy.

I heard something about it being a brief fad in Japan for awhile... back in the 90's.

That quote was quite enlightening, MTP.  I daresay it was even... tactical.  I've been meaning to read more CS Lewis.  I've read God in the Docks as well as the whole Narnia series, maybe I'll give this "Pilgrim's Regress" a read next.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 01:16:31 AM by AZRedhawk44 »
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2009, 01:04:01 AM »
"The Screwtape Letters" are a perennial favorite of mine.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2009, 02:09:02 AM »
I think this is a market that the US agricultural market could serve really well.  This couldhelp reduce the trade deficit. There are a lot of Indians. 
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2009, 02:34:48 AM »
I heard something about it being a brief fad in Japan for awhile... back in the 90's. 
Ah, the Japanese.  Is there any fad they won't try?   :O  Don't answer that.   :|

That quote was quite enlightening, MTP.  I daresay it was even... tactical.  I've been meaning to read more CS Lewis.  I've read God in the Docks as well as the whole Narnia series, maybe I'll give this "Pilgrim's Regress" a read next.
It helps if you've a passing familiarity with philosophy, especially that which was popular in Lewis's youth. 

But before you read that, read:  Mere Christianity, The Great Divorce, The Abolition of Man, and the space trilogy.  And Til We Have Faces.  Oh forget it.  Just find some Lewis and read it.  The man was a powerhouse.   :O
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

bmitchell

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2009, 10:16:14 AM »
You could read the Space Trilogy whilst drinking cow urine alone and eating sprats.
If you wanted.

Ben