Author Topic: they didn't watch survivorman or read "how to stay alive in the woods"  (Read 10610 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
http://www.rgj.com/article/20110509/NEWS/110509002/1321/news

A Canadian couple took the scenic route to Las Vegas and got stuck in the mud.
Surrounded by food the lady nearly starved to death & her husband used a GPS to get lost and in all likelihood die.

That area, while harsh and difficult, has an abundance of cottontail,birds & bugs to eat its been snowing - yup cold but also means water, they had a car that has gas that means fire/signal smoke.

Sure catching a rabbit can be difficult & birds too but you can do it, you would have to catch a lot of bugs for a stir fry, but at least its food.

Why not, if you have the money for a long drive, make sure you have enough food/water for an emergency? I cant imagine driving off the beaten path and not being prepared to live for a few weeks and have the necessary tools to get unstuck. I only stay on main roads unless I'm prepared.

God bless em, I hope he is OK, but it still kind of angers me .
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Doesn't this happen at least once a year?

I mean, really; build a  big smoky fire and wait for somebody to come see what's burning.  Especially if you've had the sense to tell someone roughly where you'll be, that will eventually get noticed and checked out.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Well, better nothing than watching Bear Gryls. They'd have tried to eat scorpions and got stung on the face, jumped off a cliff into a river, then drank their own urine.  :P
I promise not to duck.

MicroBalrog

• friend
What's the problem with drinking your own urine? Apart from the 'ew' factor that is.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
A spare tire will burn for a long time, with a nice column of smoke.  The car battery with some wires will start a fire easy peasy.  The car provides shelter, and leaving the car if you don't know where you're going?  :facepalm:
I remember reading some gps horror stories in one of the fishing/hunting magazines. Things that make you go

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jamisjockey

• friend
What's the problem with drinking your own urine? Apart from the 'ew' factor that is.

Its wholly un-necessary to recycle your waste products in most survival situations.  Water can be scavenged quite easily almost anywhere in the world.  While acutally sterile, your urine contains a host of waste products your body intended to dispose of.  Re-drinking it (without distilling it into water) just puts more stress on your kidneys to re-process the toxins. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

CNYCacher

• friend
She was stranded for 7 weeks.  The fact that she made it out at all tells me she did a damn good job.  Obviously she was scavenging water from somewhere so lets not go on about the water thing.  As far as food goes, she made it 7 weeks and only lost 30lbs.  Seems to me that they either A) DID bring a reasonable amount of food for an emergency situation or B) She was finding food somewhere, or both.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

AZRedhawk44

• friends
March 22nd - get lost.  Hubby takes off with GPS to go get help.

May 8th - Wifey gets found at van.

There's a big timeline gap there.  Sad story... sounds like Hubby took a tumble somewhere and lost mobility, and probably ended up feeding a pack of 'yotes.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.

As noted, it's only a desperation measure. The salts and nitrates in the urea aren't good for you. It's the same problem as drinking seawater, just to a slightly lesser degree.

Although mainly, there's a minor Internet meme of Bear Gryls finding excuses to "drink his own piss", making fun of the extreme things he does on his show, like squeezing elephant dung for moisture, giving himself enemas of contaminated bilge water from a raft, and talking about drinking his own urine.

(he also has a film crew and isn't really "surviving" anything")

"Survivorman" with Les Stroud is held up in comparison where he's very pragmatic, really is alone (walks everything twice, once for the shot, once to go back and collect his camera.) and you see the toll living in whatever makeshift shelter he can come up with, and whatever food he can find in the wild has on him too.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/bear-grylls-better-drink-my-own-piss
I promise not to duck.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
March 22nd - get lost.  Hubby takes off with GPS to go get help.

There's a big timeline gap there.  Sad story... sounds like Hubby took a tumble somewhere and lost mobility, and probably ended up feeding a pack of 'yotes.

She's got a good story anyway  ;)

I'm just thrilled that there are still places in the western USSA where you could park a vehicle and not be noticed for 7 weeks  :cool:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
weeks and have the necessary tools to get unstuck. I only stay on main roads unless I'm prepared.

God bless em, I hope he is OK, but it still kind of angers me .

Hmmm.

Her husband, 59-year-old Albert Chretien, remains missing after setting off on foot March 22 to get help.

Since March?  He's dead.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Regolith

• friend
My question is....where in the hell were they going?   ???

There's just about one paved road in that area (that isn't in a town, anyway, and there ain't many of those, either), and they should have stayed on it if they were heading for Vegas.  There isn't really much in that area worth straying from the highway to go see that I know of.

And the thing with gravel or dirt roads Nevada is, if you don't know the current condition of the road, it's best not to drive it with anything that can get stuck easily, like a van.  There's too damn many of them and very few of them are maintained very well; even the ones that are supposed to be well maintained can be washed out or deeply rutted, especially during the spring when the road crews haven't had a chance to get out to do anything with them and the ground is still soggy.

And of course, as they found out the hard way, if you do get stuck you're most likely going to be out of cell phone range, there's unlikely to be very many people around, and it could be a very, very long walk to the nearest ranch house.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 06:50:15 PM by Regolith »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends

There's just about one paved road in that area (that isn't in a town, anyway, and there ain't many of those, either), and they should have stayed on it if they were heading for Vegas.  There isn't really much in that area worth straying from the highway to go see that I know of.

And the thing with gravel or dirt roads Nevada is, if you don't know the current condition of the road, it's best not to drive it with anything that can get stuck easily, like a van.  There's too damn many of them and very few of them are maintained very well; even the ones that are supposed to be well maintained can be washed out or deeply rutted, especially during the spring when the road crews haven't had a chance to get out to do anything with them and the ground is still soggy.

And of course, as they found out the hard way, if you do get stuck you're most likely going to be out of cell phone range, there's unlikely to be very many people around, and it could be a very, very long walk to the nearest ranch house.

The article didn't say it, but I bet they either messed up thier GPS, or it was a crappy one to begin with, and they were following it's instructions to the letter on where to go and got in this situation.

You ALWAYS have to review the route on a GPS to make sure it's right. You ALWAYS should have backup paper maps (and know how to read them). You should NEVER just blindly trust an electronic device (especially considering the number of cheap, poorly designed and programmed GPS units out there). A GPS car nav system is programmed to follow roads to get to somewhere and is very dependent on those roads being properly classified (ie, interstate, standard road, secondary road, forest service roads and such) to get the desired routing. It's also a good idea, if you are not familar with an area, to stick with the interstate or a major highway if at all possible. Shortcuts aren't if you don't know the area.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
March 22nd - get lost.  Hubby takes off with GPS to go get help.

There's a big timeline gap there.  Sad story... sounds like Hubby took a tumble somewhere and lost mobility, and probably ended up feeding a pack of 'yotes.

Why do I feel inspired to write a murder mystery novel by this?.....  ;)
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

gunsmith

• friend
oops missed the whole left on March 22 thing, I guess she did find a water source.
Leaving the van was the husbands fatal mistake, well I'm assuming fatal.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Jamisjockey

• friend
Why do I feel inspired to write a murder mystery novel by this?.....  ;)

Death by guilt.  The black widow should convince her husband that he must save her, but the obvious flaw will result in his death.
JD

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

It's like that in a lot of CA too. I often go exploring when I'm fishing in the Eastern Sierras. I fish near the NV border and explore dirt roads in both states. I have a 4X, extra food and water, and "get unstuck" supplies. I'm really careful and often get out to check iffy conditions before I consider driving over them. You'd be surprised how many times I've gotten to the end of one of those roads and found people in a sedan kicking back and drinking brewskis or something.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Regolith

• friend
It's like that in a lot of CA too. I often go exploring when I'm fishing in the Eastern Sierras. I fish near the NV border and explore dirt roads in both states. I have a 4X, extra food and water, and "get unstuck" supplies. I'm really careful and often get out to check iffy conditions before I consider driving over them. You'd be surprised how many times I've gotten to the end of one of those roads and found people in a sedan kicking back and drinking brewskis or something.

:facepalm:

I'd be impressed with anyone that could get a sedan through most of the gravel roads that were in my area of the state.  The ones that are close to town or are used by current mining operations are generally ok, but once you get too far away from those areas, they go to crap very fast. I've never even seen anyone try them with anything less than an SUV or a pickup truck.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
I have a 4X, extra food and water, and "get unstuck" supplies.

I worked with a guy who kept a winch on the rear receiver, six t-posts with rings welded to them on the roof rack and a post driver mounted to the inside of his jacked up 4-Runner.  Drive a 5 foot t-post 4 feet into the ground and it makes a pretty good anchor.

As for the GPS, this is why I like to carry both a "car type" and an "aircraft/boat/hiking type" that just points straight at the destination.  Even if the roads aren't right, having a constant direction will keep you from wandering in circles or going off in the opposite direction.  Add in basic orienteering skills for a "reality check" and it's pretty hard to stay really lost.

gunsmith

• friend
I live between Oregon & Reno in northern NV, you can tell just by looking at the place
that you had better be well prepared. I always have a knife, gun, & multi tool. I strive to have more & if I don't I stay on the main roads.

I just like real maps, never really even have used a GPS much, for a little while as a taxi - the company installed them & I found them to be pretty useless-I guess you need the high $$ ones. I would still have a decent map & a plan before going.

There is kind of a survival book for my area, Chuck Dodd's ... http://www.shopblackrockdesert.org/chdogtogeari.html
book recommends having two spares of good tires, & the jacks needed to get out of mud. As well as the gear/maps/food/gas etc ... my survival kit is kind of small right now, basically matches, multi tool, gun/ammo, knife but I do not really wander far from main roads right now. I've got to start getting better prepped.

BLM is always looking out for fire, if you find yourself stuck out here sometime-signal fires will get noticed[/u]

« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 07:49:16 PM by gunsmith »

Jamisjockey

• friend
JD

Regolith

• friend
I worked with a guy who kept a winch on the rear receiver, six t-posts with rings welded to them on the roof rack and a post driver mounted to the inside of his jacked up 4-Runner.  Drive a 5 foot t-post 4 feet into the ground and it makes a pretty good anchor.

That's actually a pretty damn good idea.  Having nothing to hook your winch to when you get stuck is kind of like needing to use your gun and having it go "click" instead of "bang"...it is not fun. (And yes, that's from personal experience).   :facepalm:

Regolith

• friend

MicroBalrog

• friend
Please explain:

I thought the differences between different GPS devices were based on programming, not hardware? Don't all of them work on the same principle? Wouldn't it be possible to have both a 'car GPS' program and a 'hiking' GPS program on the same device? Why two devices?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
A couple times now, I have given specific instructions to people as to how to get to our house, only to have their GPS tell them about a much better road.

The trouble is that other road turns quickly into a two-track, it's private not public, and it is actually closed off to through traffic by the landowners on both ends.

Showing up unannounced in the yard of some backwoods Montana homestead is not always a good idea, either  ;)

Anyone who needs GPS to find their way around had best stay inside city limits.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin