Author Topic: They can have my 60 hz  (Read 7865 times)

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: They can have my 60 hz
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2011, 06:22:55 PM »
..."Give a man the time and he will know it for an instant.  But give him a 360 Hz tuning fork and he will have the correct time forever."

This all reminded me that I gotta go wind up my sundial.  I forgot to yesterday.

I inherited an old Accutron  from my father.  :facepalm: BUT it no longer works!! Had a new battery installed and after one week it quit.  Took it to a Jewelers and asked if it could be fixed .... turns out Accutron fixes them by ....
gutting the tuning fork and installing a quartz movement.  :mad:
Heck, if I wanted THAT I'd just by a NEW watch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 :'(
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2011, 07:14:38 PM »
turns out Accutron fixes them by ....
gutting the tuning fork and installing a quartz movement.  :mad:
Heck, if I wanted THAT I'd just by a NEW watch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One slight chance; check with the Cartier repair center in Dallas.  They do work on other brands for a price, and they used to have a couple of guys who were really up for any interesting challenge.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2011, 07:45:54 PM »
Can someone annotate that picture for me? I know the theory behind accutron watches, but I don't see the tuning fork. I see two coils at the top, and some other stuff.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2011, 08:31:30 PM »
zahc:

The tuning fork ends surround the coils.  It does not look much like a musical tuning fork:

The tuning fork was actuated by a one transistor oscillator which was regulated by feedback from one coil of the tuning fork.  The coils are inside the ends of each tine of the tuning fork, as you can see in the original photograph. 

On one of the tines of the tuning fork (see inset in photo) there was a little tiny pawl which engaged a little tiny ratchet (the drive wheel or main wheel). As the pawl wiggled back and forth from the tuning fork, it turned the ratchet, and this ratchet was geared to the hands.  I would bet that the problem with TommyGunn's watch is that the pawl or main wheel is worn out --these, besides the rest of the gearing, are the only wearing parts. However, the pawl ends were jeweled to minimize friction and wear. 

Rebuilt Accutrons are available for as little as $700 if I recall correctly. 

Really, for the age, it was a very advanced timekeeping system, especially since the components were all so tiny.  The main wheel, that is, the ratchet, had hundreds of almost-microscopic teeth around its edge for the pawl to engage.

The watch, when running, emitted a 360Hz hum, which was annoying to some folks.

There are various repair services around for these watches, and you can google Bulova Accutron to see closeups of the drive and transistor and wiring. Some of the photographs on one of the sites are pretty crappy, but keep googling until you find nice, sharp macro photographs of the details, such as the one above.

One of the amazing things about it was that most of the connections were hand-soldered. (One of the wiring diagrams has an error, in that they show a direct connection from the collector to the emitter inside the transistor, which is impossible.)

The two green plastic parts in the previous photograph were known as the "kidneys."  The left kidney housed the battery.  The right kidney housed the circuitry.  You can see a resistor in that one, and I'm not sure if the cylindrical metal object underneath it which looks like the crystal in a modern watch is the transistor or the capacitor --I just forget which. (There was no quartz crystal in this watch.  The time base was the tuning fork.)

This watch was obsoleted by the first successful quartz crystal-regulated oscillator watch by Texas Instruments, one of which I bought right away.  The tremendous technological advance in the TI watch was the miniaturization possible because of the then-still-new Large Scale Integrated Circuits --which was TI's business in the first place. The dial was a tiny red LED display and remained off to save battery power.  You pushed a button to activate the dial LEDs and show the time.  Unlike the Accutron, there were no moving parts inside the TI watch.  (Except, of course for the very tiny mechanical vibration of the quartz crystal itself --a forgiveable exception.)

The major problem with my TI watch was the plastic wrist band, which broke right where the tongue of the buckle went into the holes of the band.

Mine looked just like this, except it was plain black, with no Star Wars stuff on it --an intriguing all-black hunk of plastic on my wrist:

Terry, 230RN

(All photo credits in properties.)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 05:23:18 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2011, 12:43:42 AM »
Hold the phone!

By my calculations regarding the 20-minutes-per-year quotation, that means that the grid might average 60.0022816 Hz over the year

Excuse me if I cease to worry about this.

I did the math three times last night. It just didn't make sense to me. From using my Hz meter I know that power varies more then that now. But the wide swings might even things out over a year.

I remember a tech class several years ago. They had a control that looked at the incoming Hz to set itself up. If it got powered up at the wrong time of the power swing it would switch to 50 Hz. It really caused some problems. I know there are a bunch of those boards still in use today. I can't wait for all those calls to come in.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2011, 03:29:15 PM »
what time is it?
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2011, 04:15:35 PM »
I promise not to duck.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2011, 05:05:12 PM »

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2011, 05:05:47 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"