Author Topic: They didn't have that when I was a kid  (Read 1649 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
They didn't have that when I was a kid
« on: February 06, 2014, 11:21:11 PM »
The drink-water-and-soda punishment - never heard of that one.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/couple-charged-girl-dies-drinking-soda-22396061

Where do they even get the idea to do this?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: They didn't have that when I was a kid
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 11:28:37 PM »
The drink-water-and-soda punishment - never heard of that one.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/couple-charged-girl-dies-drinking-soda-22396061

Where do they even get the idea to do this?

Take the "parents" out back, shoot them in the gut, them die slowly.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re:
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 02:56:03 AM »
Oh god.

I wish I hadn't clicked on that before bed. How awful :-(
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 07:14:09 AM »
First - sadly, that just barely moves the needle on my personal "strange/outlandish/bizarre punishments" meter.  I've run across that exact behavior (thankfull the kid in that case suffered nothing more than a very serious stomach ache).  Knowing that makes me sad.

Second - the kid died in January 2012 and it seems these two are just now being arraigned.  What's with the two-year delay?

Third - "Tennessee Department of Children's Services spokesman Rob Johnson confirmed that Alexa had lived in the home with five other children, some of whom were siblings and some of whom were half-siblings. The other children were removed from the house in Feb. 2013 and remain in DCS custody."  A year after the child's death?  Did they not think the children were in an unsafe environment for a year after the child died?

I know that the child protective services field is riddled with incompetence, mismanagement, and statists who hate parents.  Thankfully it's not everybody, but there are more than enough to give the field a bad name.  This case seems to be just screwy enough to make me wonder how many heads that should roll will actually do so.  My gut tells me that it is most likely there will not even be reprimands entered into workers' permanent records.

Fistful - what's the difference between what they did and what you propose?  Other than that your punishment is deliberately designed to cause death where I'm pretty sure that was not their intent.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 07:18:20 AM »
Fistful - what's the difference between what they did and what you propose?  Other than that your punishment is deliberately designed to cause death where I'm pretty sure that was not their intent.

stay safe.

What did I propose now?  ???

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 08:53:26 AM »
First - sadly, that just barely moves the needle on my personal "strange/outlandish/bizarre punishments" meter.  I've run across that exact behavior (thankfull the kid in that case suffered nothing more than a very serious stomach ache).  Knowing that makes me sad.

For better or worse (I know, there is no better, but the saying just came out), I felt the same.  Though this is the first time I've heard of the "drinking" punishment.  It frankly never ceases to amaze me what some people are willing to do to a child.

http://www.nbc4i.com/story/24657516/mount-vernon-man-convicted-of-raping-4-year-old-girl

(57 year old man convicted of Rape of a 2 year old girl he was babysitting).

A certain Pat Benetar song is echoing in my mind now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYEY7UQgd-8
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 09:58:42 AM »

Very old, documented back to the 15th century.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_cure_%28torture%29

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 11:25:48 AM »
Count me as another person who isn't surprised/shocked/etc.

AM kinda curious what they thought they were punishing her for. And why the massive delay
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 12:39:50 PM »

What did I propose now?  ???

You know you are responsible for Fly230 writing that, don't you?  Why beat around the bush - going straight to blaming you saves so much time.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 12:46:20 PM »
You know you are responsible for Fly230 writing that, don't you?  Why beat around the bush - going straight to blaming you saves so much time.

stay safe.

I've been downgraded!  Oh, the horror!!!!1!

Still, even though those parents may not have intended to kill the girl, they did and deserve to die because of their neglect.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 06:24:45 PM »
For better or worse (I know, there is no better, but the saying just came out), I felt the same.  Though this is the first time I've heard of the "drinking" punishment.  It frankly never ceases to amaze me what some people are willing to do to a child.

Sadly, I'm not shocked that anyone would hurt or kill a child. We've seen too much of that. I'm just puzzled as to how they decided on that method. If I was setting out to hurt/punish/torture/murder a child, that way of doing it just wouldn't enter my tiny little mind.

???

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 06:30:46 PM »
A certain Pat Benetar song is echoing in my mind now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYEY7UQgd-8

Never heard of that, either. According to the lyrics I found on the internet, they missed the chance to make a very profound point. Viz; if there is no hell, then most of the evil of the world (like child abuse) would never be punished. In that sense, hell is indeed for all of the children whose abusers were never brought to justice.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2014, 06:50:12 PM »

Third - "Tennessee Department of Children's Services spokesman Rob Johnson confirmed that Alexa had lived in the home with five other children, some of whom were siblings and some of whom were half-siblings. The other children were removed from the house in Feb. 2013 and remain in DCS custody."  A year after the child's death?  Did they not think the children were in an unsafe environment for a year after the child died?

I know that the child protective services field is riddled with incompetence, mismanagement, and statists who hate parents.  Thankfully it's not everybody, but there are more than enough to give the field a bad name.  This case seems to be just screwy enough to make me wonder how many heads that should roll will actually do so.  My gut tells me that it is most likely there will not even be reprimands entered into workers' permanent records.

While their is some truth to what you say, DCS caseworkers are caught in a catch 22. If they are aggressive in taking children out of accused but not proven abusive environments they are gooberment nazis taking children from loving parents on flimsy accusations. If they wait for more proof or for cases to work through courts first and something happens, they're obviously idiots. But then they do work for big government, and we all know they're stupid, right?
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2014, 07:54:02 PM »

Never heard of that, either. According to the lyrics I found on the internet, they missed the chance to make a very profound point. Viz; if there is no hell, then most of the evil of the world (like child abuse) would never be punished. In that sense, hell is indeed for all of the children whose abusers were never brought to justice.

Interesting take on the song.  Back in the days when Tipper Gore wanted to censor music during a break from helping Al invent thw Internet, people called for the song to be banned.  Obviously, if Pat Benetar sings "Hell is for Children", she's obviously a Satan worshipper calling for people to sacrifice children to appease the devil... [barf]
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2014, 10:50:04 PM »
While their is some truth to what you say, DCS caseworkers are caught in a catch 22. If they are aggressive in taking children out of accused but not proven abusive environments they are gooberment nazis taking children from loving parents on flimsy accusations. If they wait for more proof or for cases to work through courts first and something happens, they're obviously idiots. But then they do work for big government, and we all know they're stupid, right?

The "beauty" of the CPS system is that workers do not need to wait for proven abuse to take kids out of their home.  They do need to show a preponderance f evidence that the child is "in danger" of either abuse or neglect.  It is the keeping of kids from their homes that needs "proof".  In the meantime, they can petition the juvenile court for orders to make the parents attend classes in everything from parenting skills like when and how to change diapers to gaining "job skills" and seeking work, as well as the ever-popular anger management.  They can also provide, through contracts, things like maid service to clean up a home that is beyond the capability of the parent(s), or pay for medical and mental health services for the kids and/or parents.  All that is in order to abide by a federal law that mandated reunification of the family as the primary goal - which could also include services top prevent the "necessity" of removing the children even temporarily.

The major stumbling block to all of this is that, usually rightly so, the gooberment and its minions must rely on other family members, friends, or the schools to observe and report suspected abuse or neglect.  Those are the folks that, in spite of anononimity and shield laws, are reluctant if not downright afraid to say anything until there is absolute proof.  A lot of that does come from the heavyhandedness of the CPS system which has created its own Catch 22.

The other thing is tyhat there is less of a sense of "community" these days.  Adults are not at home as much as they used to be, and when they are they do not interact with those living around them.  One set of cousins lived in the city and the other lived in the suburbs.  Both sets could name each person living in a 2-block radius, tell you where the adult(s) worked and what they did, what school the kids went to and what grade they were in, and the city cousins could tell you the names of the shopkeepers in the neighborhood.  Now folks are lucky if they can tell you the name of the people living on either side of them.  Good luck on getting the name of the folks living behind them.

All of that as prelude to my professional assessment - that was not the first time those parents had become "frustrated" with the behavior of the girl, and it was not the first time they "went overboard" in dealing with their frustrations.

stay safe.