Author Topic: William Shatner is recording a new album  (Read 1786 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
William Shatner is recording a new album
« on: September 30, 2011, 09:50:15 AM »
Video of William Shatner recording his new album "Seeking Major Tom".  Iron Man is being recorded.

ETA: Here is an Amazon link with the ability to play snippets of each of the tunes on the album.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 09:57:48 AM by adively »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

SADShooter

• friend
Re: William Shatner is recording a new album
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 10:59:10 AM »
I give the man full credit for making a good living poking fun at himself.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

slugcatcher

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 12:34:53 PM »
He and Adam West should make an album.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 12:56:14 PM »
Yikes!! [popcorn]
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 05:13:21 PM »
thanks for the warning
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 01:26:53 PM »
New music video from Shatner's album "Seeking Major Tom"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKo4FMzt_hM
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 01:35:56 PM »
Bill is a fun guy
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 01:39:41 PM »
Unless you want to be paralyzed by a Cthuhlu-esque horrific fascination, do not click adively's link. I knew better, and I barely made it back.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 01:50:48 PM »
i will have what he was smoking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH06aNXWb8U
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 02:01:46 PM »
ecopoesis is an evil genius. That was brilliant, in a why-did-I-spend-time-watching-that sort of way. I'm living on the edge today.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 02:02:00 PM »
I am so going to be cranking Shatner's "Spirt in the Sky" when i pick up my daughter at middle school

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 02:11:52 PM »
William Shatner has released his third album, a concept album using many well-known songs unified by a `space' theme. No, it is not a great work of art. And, no, it will probably not garner the acclaim of his last album, 2004's remarkable Has Been. With that said, Seeking Major Tom is full of fun moments, Shatner-style.

Musically, Shatner surrounds himself with some true heavyweights. The selection of guitarists alone is impressive, including Zakk Wylde, Ritchie Blackmore, Johnny Winter, Wayne Kramer, and Dave Davies, to name a few. The playing is never less than solid; at times, it is inspired.

Through the proceedings, Shatner does what he does best: portray William Shatner. He talks, ruminates, and emotes his way through the tracks, and even takes a stab at singing on Black Sabbath's "Iron Man." When it works, it is quite fun. When it doesn't, it can be a head-scratching-and-shaking experience.

Ultimately, Seeking Major Tom is a fun listen; however, at its length of over ninety minutes, it could definitely have been shortened with no detrimental effect to the listening experience or the intended `concept.' The album becomes rather tedious after an hour.

What is good, though, is great. Highlights include "Space Cowboy," which lets Shatner show off his swagger, and a funky, hilarious run through "She Blinded Me with Science;" "Rocket Man," while not as dementedly inspired as his 1978 take on the song (see YouTube), is still quite welcome. And, "Bohemian Rhapsody" is a perfect vehicle for the over-the-top, histrionic force that is William Shatner.

Has Been was, mostly, the words of Shatner set to music; Seeking Major Tom is the work of others set to Shatner, and it doesn't work as well. Fans of Shatner, different takes on the familiar, a good laugh, or all three, will find much to like about this album.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 02:57:34 PM »
sweeeet...
Avoid cliches like the plague!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 03:46:24 PM »
New music video from Shatner's album "Seeking Major Tom"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKo4FMzt_hM

That's a special kind of awful. 

Cheap karaoke cover, not even making a good effort at "Shatnerizing" it.  Just awful.  Not even "good for a laugh on APS" awful.  Just... pathetic.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!