Author Topic: Unfunded mandates  (Read 957 times)

grampster

• friend
Unfunded mandates
« on: July 11, 2012, 09:55:53 AM »
I haven't seen this notion brought up anywhere.  I wonder whether the SCOTUS decision to declare unconstitutional the .fed gov mandate to the states that they must fund an expanded Medicaid under Obamacare or lose all Medicaid funding, can be interpreted to mean that the .fed gov may no longer impose unfunded mandates on the states or to threaten the witholding of certain funds if the states do not comply with any sort of .fed gov mandate?
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: Unfunded mandates
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 10:06:45 AM »
If it limits government and/or expands liberty it is considered a narrow ruling with very limited applications.

If it expands government authority over the individual it is considered a broad ruling with wide ranging consequences across all of society.

:laugh:
  :'(

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 10:21:42 AM »
If it limits government and/or expands liberty it is considered a narrow ruling with very limited applications.

If it expands government authority over the individual it is considered a broad ruling with wide ranging consequences across all of society.

:laugh:
  :'(

This is actually a very good rule of thumb. 

I remember taking my judicial ethics exam, I had only studied for it that morning.  I simply chose the choices that seemed to present the worst possible option from an actual ethics standpoint.  Passed with flying colors. 
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 12:12:14 PM »
This is actually a very good rule of thumb. 

I remember taking my judicial ethics exam, I had only studied for it that morning.  I simply chose the choices that seemed to present the worst possible option from an actual ethics standpoint.  Passed with flying colors. 

This often applies to the actual ethics section of the Bar exam, as well.  Although some of the questions can be pretty darn subtle.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.