Author Topic: Underground Economy, Black Market, keeping us afloat  (Read 1002 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Underground Economy, Black Market, keeping us afloat
« on: April 25, 2013, 03:12:16 PM »
http://www.cnbc.com/id/100668336

Whether it's illegal alien labor, bar bands doing an under the table gig, cash paid for software consulting services, or full blown pirates selling alcoholic beverages without an ATF license to do so... people are working and getting paid and sustaining themselves.

$2 trillion a year.  8% of total GDP.  No Obamacare or SS.

Warms the cockles a bit, don't it? =)
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Underground Economy, Black Market, keeping us afloat
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 08:00:21 PM »
Economic terrorists.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 09:14:07 PM »
http://www.cnbc.com/id/100668336

Whether it's illegal alien labor, bar bands doing an under the table gig, cash paid for software consulting services, or full blown pirates selling alcoholic beverages without an ATF license to do so... people are working and getting paid and sustaining themselves.

$2 trillion a year.  8% of total GDP.  No Obamacare or SS.

Warms the cockles a bit, don't it? =)

How many years did this sort of activity keep the old Soviet Union fed and lumbering along?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 10:26:57 PM »
I make more than $35k at my day job. So my side work has an effective tax rate of 44.37% this year.  Nearly half to the govt. No kids, not married, and my mortgage is reasonable because I put 30% down.

I am not amazed at the black market. I am amazed it's so small.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 10:48:37 PM »
I am not amazed at the black market. I am amazed it's so small.

It's got to be more than that, especially in high tax states like IL.  Any business that takes in cash (not checks or credit cards) under-reports.  They have to in order to survive.

And it's sad.  Those bustin' their humps to put food on the table and a roof over their families head are told "You need to pay your fair share, i.e. More."  Meanwhile others are scamming the system collecting Welfare, Section 8 Housing, WIC, Food Stamps/EBT, etc. while driving nice new car, with the latest iPhone with an all inclusive service package, while wearing the designer/latest clothes.   That's why this country is doomed.  The takers are outnumbering the makers.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.