Author Topic: Let's talk about hot sauce.  (Read 10762 times)

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Re: Let's talk about hot sauce.
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2008, 12:09:49 AM »
Bogie, if you have the need to torture somebody...

Blair's Death Sauce.

That's a start, one of his milder products, and it goes up from there.

Blair's even makes a 16 Million Reserve, which stands for 16 Million Scoville units of pure capsaicin pain.

For his hotter stuff, you have to sign a release form.  ;)

http://hubpages.com/hub/Blairs-Death-Sauce
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2008, 01:28:54 AM »
Well, my bud thinks that Dave's Insanity is "tasty, but needs a bit more zing." The general agreement among those who know him is that there is that there is nothing in existence between his teeth and his cheeks... The southern cheeks.

Actually, it may be interdimensional hot sauce trauma... Where's Larry?

I want to see him crack a bottle, fix a plate of something, and pour some on it, and then watch him shovel in a quart of ice cream... Like I did. After about an eighth of a teaspoon of Dave's Insanity.

Blog under construction

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2008, 01:39:36 PM »
A bit surprised that nobody mentioned Trappey's Red Devil. I've gone through a few bottles of it over the years; I find it a tad above average.

I have 1/2 a bottle or so of Frank's Red Hot at home. Purchased it because I kept hearing favorable reviews. Takes way too much to get to the heat level I like, and then it's too salty. Good flavor in smaller volumes, just not hot enough, I guess is what I am saying.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2008, 02:38:44 PM »
Dave's Insanity is good. I usually use Dave's or one of the El Yuccatico flavors- either XXX or Carribean. I just finished up a batch of my own homemade smoked deer sausage and 1.5 tsp of El Yucco XXX per 10 pounds of sausage was real good and most people can still eat it. 
What we have here is failure to communicate.

mejeepnut

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2008, 02:42:42 PM »
For those of you that bet on who can handle whatever kind of hot sauce be carefull!

I had throat surgery a few years ago and got tired of the way the pain meds made me feel so I tried all kinds of sore throat sprays.Some of them work pretty good at canceling out the effects of hot sauce on the mouth!
After one type of spray I felt good enough to cut up a little jalapino for my tuna sandwich.I took a few bites and no heat so I added some more and same thing so I cut up the whole pepper and put it in what was left of my sandwich and ate the sandwich,still no heat!Half an hour later my sinuses started to burn and within about an hour my sinus tracks actualy turned pink on the outside!Since I never felt any heat I never drank anything to wash the oils from the pepper down and they ended up in my sinuses,very bad thing to have happen!I never once had any heat or burning in my mouth for the whole ordeal.

Never bet anyone with a cherry red tint to there teeth and tounge!

bmitchell

« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2008, 02:53:24 PM »
I'm a fan of the Chipotle Tabasco.  I've only been addicted to one sauce and that was it.
I also like a sauce called Tiger Sauce for asian cuisine, though a good sechuan sauce can be the world in a stir fry.

Hotness that lingers never really dropped my silhouette though.  I'm a big fan of the "Rage" hot, so I'm inclined to call it.
This rage is what you get when you eat some wasabi just right and your brain locks up and your tear ducts open and your soul hurts.
And then it is gone and you're ready for another.

Wasabi and chinese mustard can and will both provide this elaborate, refined rage.

Ben

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2008, 03:14:07 PM »
Cajun Chef fan, here. Jardine's Texas Champagne when I can't find CC.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2008, 09:59:21 PM »
Yeah, wasabi or good fresh horseradish rocks... I used to go to one Chinese joint, where they thought I was insane, but would add extra red and black peppers upon request. That's flavor. But pain's another story.
Blog under construction

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2008, 10:25:15 PM »
I don't talk about hot sauce anymore.  Not since the accident. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2008, 10:32:48 PM »
Mr Accident Pants?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

LAK

• friend
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2008, 08:05:34 AM »
I like the garlic Tabasco variety, and Tiger sauce. Favorite hot sauce though is probably english mustard.

slugcatcher

• friend
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2008, 08:18:37 AM »
Bufalo sauce. It's great on everything. It's also the best wing sauce I've ever found. It's usually in the mexican foods section of Krogers down here.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2008, 08:08:05 PM »
Bufalo sauce. It's great on everything. It's also the best wing sauce I've ever found. It's usually in the mexican foods section of Krogers down here.

Bufalo sauce is good.

I've tried a lot of different ones, but I'd say Valentina or Tamazula extra hot is my daily go-to sauce.  It's cheap, tasty, and not really that hot.  I use it on everything from eggs to soup.  Great stuff.  When I want something a little hotter I use the El Yucateco green habanero.  I don't really need anything hotter than that.
For entertainment purposes only.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2008, 11:03:56 PM »
Frank's is my everyday sauce.
Tabasco Green
Tabasco Chipotle
Trappy's Red Devil and Bull Brand.
Texas Pete
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Jeff B.

« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2008, 12:10:54 AM »

Another vote for "Bufalo"...  very good stuff.  They sell it in the Randalls/Tom Thumb also.

Jeff B.
"The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits"
Plutarch

Lbys

• This cone is the ultimate power in the universe.
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2008, 12:17:58 AM »
Speaking of horseradish:  anyone ever been to the St. Elmo Steakhouse in downtown Indy?  I visited about eight years ago, and was amazed at the cocktail sauce they served with their shrimp cocktail.  The waiter told me they ground fresh horseradish on the premises (you could see roots stacked like cordwood in the front window, next to the raw bar), and it was the hottest I've ever had.  It felt like I had lit an M-80, put it in my mouth, waited until it exploded, then poured acid on the remnants.  Very satisfying experience.
Correlation does not indicate causation.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2008, 12:22:47 AM »
What I -really- need is something that starts off with good flavor, and then tries to kill you. So my bud takes a good big second mouthful before it really hits...

Blog under construction

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2008, 01:38:10 AM »
Plain red Tabasco is the staple. Sriracha (or "Fighting cock" as we call it in the Balog household) gets quite a workout as well. Living in Seattle, we have a LOT of different no-name chili and garlic paste kinda sauces in the local markets, which are quite good.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2008, 08:41:33 PM »
My girlfriend loves the Sriracha hot chili sauce. She likes hot sauces, but she doesn't like the heavy vinegar based hot sauces. I like the Sambal Oelek hot sauce made by the same folks at Huy Fong Foods. It's like a less smooth Sriracha without garlic or sugars.

I like Tapatio hot sauce. A group of us at work go out for a pizza lunch every week, and we would bring different ones to try. We had over a dozen that we tried. Tapatio was the favorite, as it has flavor as well as some heat. I always get stares when I put hot sauce on my pizza, but this is Minnesota. I encourage people who like heat to put a splash on pizza for fun. I like Louisiana style hot sauces too. Sometimes I get name brand, sometimes I find a store brand that tastes pretty good too. I guess I'm kind of easy when it comes to hot sauce. I even keep mini bottles of Tobasco in my briefcase for hot sauce emergencies.

I've been working on a new hot sauce lately; it's a habenero hot sauce made by the folks at Louisisana hot sauce. It's got a great flavor with some good heat as well.

A friend of mine got me a bottle of "Da Bomb Beyond Insanity" hot sauce. That stuff is pure hot. The pepper inhanced/infused hot sauces are too much to put on food; I have to put just a bit in a pot of chili or the heat is too much.

cmw

« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2008, 09:55:16 PM »

Just passing through, but here are some favorites:

Dave's Insanity for adding heat during quick cooking -most frequently a good sized drop in the oil while popping corn (close the lid and don't breath fumes). Also have some Magma which is just nuts -supposedly 1 million scoville units.

Green El Yucateco for real Mexican food -you'll get looks from the staff if you return the first couple of "hot" sauces and ask for this.

Bello Classic from Dominica for rice and beans - on my last bottle!

Also I must suggest growing your own habaneros.  We've had a bit of variation in heat but they have all started at "wow".  They grow great next to our other peppers and tomatoes but take about 3 weeks longer to really finish producing so plant them early.  These are sliced, frozen or dried, and used just one or two 1/8th inch ring at a time in most recipes (and we are not shy about hot food).

Oh, and definitely try grinding your own fresh horseradish sometime -my wife loves to tell about how I almost killed myself smelling some...

C

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2008, 02:56:22 PM »
I like Crystal.  When I cook up spicy stuff, I usually just add the peppers I want for flavor.

One time, on a camping/shootout, we were sitting around the campfire, well into our cups, watching one of the other guys, who is a chef, cook supper.  He took a teaspoon full of some white stuff and handed it to one guy and said to see how he liked the smell.  Well, he ate it.  It was white wasabi.  I never knew a man could scream like that.......chris3

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2008, 05:16:08 PM »
Like many others here, my staple is regular Tabasco.  But thanks to this thread, I'm gonna give Frank's a try... and maybe Dave's Insanity too.  =D  Though it's not a sauce, I'm a fan of pretty much anything wasabi.  Love me some of those dried wasabi peas!
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2008, 05:21:17 PM »
My only problem with Tabasco and similar thin liquid sauces is they can add too much moisture. This is especially an issue with certain egg recipes.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2008, 12:29:14 AM »
'Round here, it's Tapatio for Mexican food, Sriracha for Asian food (the other way around doesn't work, trust me), and Tapatio or a sauce made from malagueta peppers for Brazilian food.

I HATE Tabasco and Franks. Texas Pete is good on the right food.Chipotle and green Tabasco are good sometimes.

It's a lot like wine - know your sauces and use the right one on the right food.

If you think Cholula is good, definitely try Tapatio. Much better.

I like the Sambal Oelek
That's the one I was trying to remember. Sometimes I'll substitute it for Sriracha.
D. R. ZINN

erictank

• friends
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2008, 10:34:31 PM »
Ladies and gentlemen of APS, I come before you to discuss a topic that is slightly more polarizing than politics, and slightly less polarizing than real, slow-cooked barbecue.  Hot sauce.

I've been lurking here a while, with an occasional post here and there, and have come to appreciate the intelligence and opinionation (yes, an invented word) of this forum.  I haven't had a lot of luck starting conversations which maintain themselves in the past on this board and others, so I'm giving it another shot.  I figure the folks here have a wide variety of interests and opinions, and I'm hoping that this topic proves the rule, and not the exception, of freely exchanged discussion. 

Where I'm originally from, we use hot sauce, but not as frequently as those in Louisiana, Texas, or the desert southwest.  Where I live now, a lot of people consider ketchup to be spicy (I'm kidding, but only a little).  What I'd like to know is this:  what is the sauce, or are the sauces, that you use?  Why?  How do you use them?  I'll offer my own opinions up to scrutiny and ridicule, just to (hopefully) get the convo started:

Tabasco--the venerable classic, this is the pepper sauce on which I cut my teeth.  However, I've weened of late because I think its heat/flavor ratio is a bit high.  Also, the boys at Avery Island have gone a bit crazy with the flanker flavors, IMO.

Frank's--the Buffalo Wings staple, I think this is a decent everyday hot sauce.  I put it on lots of things, most frequently vegetables and bland starches (potatoes, rice, etc.).  Good, but a bit too much vinegar for a truly exceptional experience.

Louisiana Brand--I've just recently been introduced to this--it's not in many stores up here--and think it's goodness in a bottle.  Nice balance of heat and flavor, with more depth than Tabasco.  I think it out-Tabascos Tabasco.

Chohula--this Mexican salsa picante is good, but a bit of a niche player in my rotation.  I like it on eggs, eggs & chorhizo, Mexican food, and on the rim of the occasional Tecate can.  Past that, I don't get into it much.

Sriacha--this is the hottest in my cupboard (probably mild to a lot of folks here, but to each his own).  I like it on sandwiches, in soups, and in my Bloody Marys.  Sometimes, I'll squeeze a bit into a omlet, and of course, put it on most Asian cuisines, especially Chinese takout in Minnesota that isn't nearly hot enough.

So what are your favorites?  Why?  Do you buy in the grocery store, shop in the specialty markets, maybe make your own?  What say you, APS?

Caveat - While I like mildly-to-moderately spicy stuff, I don't use a whole lot of hot sauces myself.  Having said that -

My stepson loves his Tabasco sauce, all the moreso since we discovered his mild sensitivity to tomatoes (forcing us to limit his ingestion of them to ~2 meals/week).  He puts it on a lot of stuff.

While I was in the Navy, my buddy got all excited about a care package he got from his wife one deployment, which turned out to contain something called Dave's Insanity sauce.  He got me to taste it - I touched the tip of my pinky to the tiny bit clinging to the cap, and tasted that.  2 seconds later, my mouth and throat were on fire, literally, I think.  I'm not sure what kind of peppers were in it, but it was supposedly about as hot as you could get back then (about 1995?)

A quick web search shows that certain hot sauces and ingredients/additives available today are, apparently, significantly hotter than Dave's Insanity sauce.  Dave's Insanity comes in at 180K Scoville units per it's Wiki entry, while some stuff today ranges from 500K up to 16 MILLION Scoville units :O.  No thank you.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 07:11:30 PM by erictank »