Author Topic: Handgun caliber choice  (Read 12660 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Handgun caliber choice
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2012, 02:44:51 PM »
$$$$$$$$$

Whatever .... they never sent me a memo.

I tend to bear grudges a looooong time  >:D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2012, 08:49:15 AM »
Both are overpriced on firearms, Sportsman Warehouse and Scheels usually do better on prices.

normally i agree with you.  i like to walk the display when i find myself close to a gander mtn, but the prices always seem on the high side.  one day i was looking and saw a 4 inch smith 65-2.  it was a little dinged up, but tight and a good clean bore.  i walked out with it for $205.  keeps me going back, but nothing else has bit me. 

btw, .357 is my prefered caliber for a woods gun.  the ballistics are better than 45lc, or 44 special.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 09:02:28 AM by geronimotwo »
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2012, 11:10:43 AM »
woods gun?

Why would a woods gun be any different than a carry gun?

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2012, 11:13:08 AM »
woods gun?

I would guess that he isn't concerned about concealing it while in the woods.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2012, 11:18:22 AM »
Interesting on the Sportsman's Warehouse. They built a ginormous one a few years back where my folks live.  They closed it less than a year later. I simply don't understand how they can afford to do that with it appearing that they seem to do it a lot. Sadly, I didn't get into the store until I saw an ad that they were closing, and by the time I got there. most of the inventory was gone, so I've never been to a fully stocked Sportsman's Warehouse.

I was at my first Cabela's when Amy and I were in OR a few weeks ago. Rocketman told us it was one of the smaller ones that had taken over a pre-existing building, vs one of the "built from the ground up" stores. I was still impressed with the size of it, and they actually had some good prices on pistols I was familiar with.

Nothing like a Cabela's or Gander Mountain exists anywhere near me. We're going to Idaho via HWY395 in a couple of weeks, so we plan on stopping at both the Reno and Boise Cabela's on our travels. It will be Amy's birthday, and her present is that she gets to pick whatever she wants (within reason) at Cabela's.

They went into bankruptcy, and the new owners took on or re-opened only some of the locations.

We had one here in the SW burbs of Milwaukee that closed, and didn't re-open. Considering how far northwest the Cabela's superstore is, and how lousy Gander's prices were, you'd figure the location would be one of the prime ones, but I guess they didn't like the numbers.  =(
I promise not to duck.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2012, 11:53:56 AM »
woods gun?

1) doesn't need to be concealable

2) needs to be able to shoot variety of loads reliably: high velocity JSPs and/or snakeshot

3) might want to be able to select first shot up (see #2) based on circumstances (revolvers are great for this but semi-autos are not)

4) need to shoot a much more powerful caliber than an urban carry gun

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2012, 01:01:38 PM »
^^ what he said sounds good, although i use 6 180gr bear loads, so no round selection is necessary.  i used to use the .357 for daily carry (loaded with .38) as it conceals pretty well, but now that i have my 669 i choose 9mm for the higher capacity.  aside from that, the .357 is a great all around platform.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2012, 04:21:12 PM »
i use 6 180gr bear loads, so no round selection is necessary

In the warmer months, I carry one snakeshot and five solids.

Which one I have in the first up position depends on the current situation, temperature, etc.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2012, 04:57:48 PM »
In the warmer months, I carry one snakeshot and five solids.

Which one I have in the first up position depends on the current situation, temperature, etc.

That's what I do, except when there's snakeshot loaded, it's always first up.  I figure, if I need a solid, then I'll just pull the DA trigger twice. :)

I've only used the snakeshot once, and that was 38 caliber snakeshot against a 4' rattler from 3' away.  It nearly took his head off, which is why I consider guns like the Judge a sad joke. 

Chris

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2012, 08:05:52 PM »
sounds like a good idea, although around here venomous snakes are not as prevalent.