Author Topic: 13 things done by Americans that the rest of the world finds odd  (Read 13252 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
http://www.seattlepi.com/technology/businessinsider/article/13-Things-That-Americans-Do-That-The-Rest-Of-The-4553394.php

An interesting Reddit thread.  How we are seen by the rest of the world.  In regards to number three, I would be thrilled if price tags also included tax, so you had a better sense of the true cost.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: 13 things done by Americans that the rest of the world finds odd
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 11:44:48 AM »
I'm glad the tax is not on the tag. That way, you feel the impact of the tax every time you pay. Now if we just eliminated withholding...

I guess the people contributing numbers 4 and 7 come from different countries. Regarding number 10, I am told that most European university degrees are mickey mouse, compared to American degrees. And we have to pay to go, so we don't take it for granted. Maybe that is the difference.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 11:56:29 AM »
1.  Other people would drive everywhere too if they could and the govt didn't discourage it with high taxation and regulation.  Good roads is probably a factor also.

2.  Others just don't understand our feelings on guns.  Personally, I am weirded out by the fact that foreigners readily accept that govt should restrict or ban firearms.  As far as WalMart in general, I bet other countries would have super stores also if their economies and regulations would allow it.

5.  Pumpkin everything must be somewhere else.  I don't see that here.

7.  I can see that the idea of cheerleaders might be strange to some extent.  I imagine it comes partly from the fact that there weren't always any or enough women's sports that actually put women in the spotlight. 

10.  I bet sports is a big part of it.  If all those soccer and rugby teams were tied to universities, they would understand better.

13.  Because we can.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 12:11:58 PM »
Regarding number 10, I am told that most European university degrees are mickey mouse, compared to American degrees.

I know a number of people that are college professors here in the US, who were also professors in Europe.  It is my impression that they tend to think that most of the European undergraduate universities are more rigorous than the typical American program.  This is for a few reasons: they can have stricter admission criteria since the 'open access to college' model popular in the US is not so popular in Europe, they often don't have the same 'academic breadth' requirements to take courses outside of your major, higher education is held in more respect in Europe, and financial resources are more geared toward instruction, rather than sports or building elaborate facilities.

They also say that for graduate degrees in the hard sciences, the US, the UK and Germany are the places to go, but watch what some of the SE Asian countries (Singapore and Malaysia) are doing.  Those countries are pouring lots of money into academic and research infrastructure to attract the best and brightest.

PS: I forgot the other issue about undergrad programs: in many European universities, you are assessed solely or primarily upon exam results.  No group projects, participation in class, attendance or the like as major contributors to your grade.  You either pass the exam or you don't.  And the exam grading is overseen by academics from other universities as well, to ensure consistent grading.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 02:06:16 PM by MillCreek »

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 12:15:11 PM »
13. Duh, that is why America is America.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 12:16:42 PM »
1. TSA, and virtually no trains.  You would drive 16 hrs too if your people lived that far away.  ;/

2. ATF should be a convenience store.  :P

3. I keep forgetting that other states have sales tax  :facepalm:

4. I agree  =)

5. The rest of the world doesn't eat cheese  ???

6. Hey, have you seen us shoot pumpkins out of air powered cannons?   =D

7. The rest of the world is Gay   :laugh:

8. It worked for Hitler, didn't it?   :angel:

9. We drink coffee sitting down, too.  We drink coffee everywhere, all the time.  :lol:

10. Not me.  I am a success in spite of the crappy college where I studied.  I had some good professors but the administration was a whiney lesbian leftist who wanted to close the business, math, and science departments.  :(

11. Prom?  I was an outsider and I still am.

12. Us rednecks like both teeth looking nice :P

13. Well it's a pretty good country where you can eat all the cheese that you want and buy guns everywhere. :)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 12:17:51 PM »
Pumpkin flavoring is seasonal, so that person probably visited in autumn, and spent a lot of time at McDonald's or Starbucks. I thought pumpkin was an American gourd, anyway, so not very bizarre that we like it more.

The comment about prom is kind of silly. I mean, if your country doesn't have a school dance where there's a lot of pressure to have a date, I guess you won't feel a lot of pressure to have a date when you don't attend said dance that you don't have in your country.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 12:24:26 PM »
I also found #5 strange. Based on my own relatives and travels, Western Europe is full of cheeseheads - moreso than the US.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 12:39:40 PM »
The driving everywhere thing typically is strange to people from small countries. I had a conversation with a guy from Denmark who was ragging on Americans not riding bicycles everywhere. He was completely baffled when I told him that a 20 mile commute is not uncommon. The distance that would take me two countries away in Europe wouldn't get me out of my state here. Russians aren't at all baffled by it, they are just envious of roads.

Personally, there are some things I don't get, even after being here over 20 years. Some of it is that I just don't get team sports and a lot of stuff related to it.  I don't understand the relationship of college and sports. I appreciate cheerleaders, but don't understand their presence at sporting events. The concept of pep rallies is a complete mystery to me.

The American puritanism I am used to by now, but do find it silly.

I am now hungry for something cheesy made of pumpkins...
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 12:45:48 PM »
The driving everywhere thing typically is strange to people from small countries. I had a conversation with a guy from Denmark who was ragging on Americans not riding bicycles everywhere. He was completely baffled when I told him that a 20 mile commute is not uncommon.

If I had the terrain and bicycling infrastructure that is present in many European countries, I would be doing a lot more bicycling, too.  And I am already an avid rider. 

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 12:55:09 PM »
I also found #5 strange. Based on my own relatives and travels, Western Europe is full of cheeseheads - moreso than the US.

I just finished watching a BBC miniseries in which an English git travels all about this great land of ours. He remarked at one point, as if it were common knowledge, that American cheeses are just rubbish, only worth melting on top of a hamburger.

Maybe they just prefer their kind of cheese, but in the right setting, not in every imaginable dish.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 12:59:22 PM »
American cheese (the actual named type, not just cheese made in America) is in fact fairly low quality bu cheese standards, and it is indeed engineered solely on the basis of melting nicely when put on a burger.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 12:59:41 PM »
I read somewhere that somebody once said that the difference betwen the US and England is that 250 miles is a long drive in England and 250 years is a long time in the US.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2013, 01:07:07 PM »
#1 - HOW many European nations could Texas cover?
#2 - And going to separate stores to buy beer, meat, ammo, veggies, and bread makes sense?
#5 - This one is puzzling - Europe makes & consumes PLENTY of cheese.
#7 - Put cheeleaders on the field, and who'd even notice a boring "futbol" game?  -   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYUa7DpPses
#12 - This one must have come from Britain.
#13 - We once attracted the best & brightest to our Great Melting Pot, but some people (e.g., BHO) are trying to take us down a peg by promoting the balkanization of our country through "diversity" and immigration policies that favor Somali goatherds over Scottish mathematicians.

I read somewhere that somebody once said that the difference betwen the US and England is that 250 miles is a long drive in England and 250 years is a long time in the US.
Ah, yes, Old Blimey. A country that once ruled half the world and has yet to master the intracracies of central heating or modern dentistry.  =D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 01:10:51 PM »
American cheese (the actual named type, not just cheese made in America) is in fact fairly low quality bu cheese standards, and it is indeed engineered solely on the basis of melting nicely when put on a burger.

I'm pretty sure he was talking about all the kinds of cheeses Americans typically eat, not just "American Cheese."

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2013, 01:13:59 PM »
And I'm pretty sure we're talking about the wildly differing residents of dozens of distinct countries as unified entities with identical views of the US based on some random on reddit's comments, so...
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2013, 01:14:10 PM »
Maybe they just prefer their kind of cheese, but in the right setting, not in every imaginable dish.

This is likely true. A typical German evening meal is bread, sausage, and cheese, downed with beer. When I traveled through European countries, I do remember cheese was generally a sole, or side item to eat.

On the driving, for years, about half my relatives lived in one town and the other half lived in another around 20KM away. I'm told it's better now, but for many years that was a distance you did one or two Sundays a month to visit, or maybe the relatives living in the smaller town (village really) would take a trip once a month for "big city supplies" at the other town. Otherwise the distance was too great for an everyday trip.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Lee

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2013, 01:15:16 PM »
Number 10 bugs me too. I dropped out of college to get married and work, them went back piecemeal over the next 20 years.  I'm in my 50's now, and still one of the first things I typically get asked in social situations is, "where did you go to school?".  It generally is related to sports.
My wife's friends come to visit us a couple of times a year...you'd think they were still in college - ALL they talk about is Michigan State and Ohio State 24/7. I used to feign interest, but now I just ignore them and try to find an excuse to be somewhere else.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2013, 01:18:55 PM »
And I'm pretty sure we're talking about the wildly differing residents of dozens of distinct countries as unified entities with identical views of the US based on some random on reddit's comments, so...

Pretty much. The person making the cheese comment could be from some corner of the globe where cheese just ain't popular, and the U.S. is the only other country they've visited.

And what I said above, about 4 and 7.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2013, 01:32:31 PM »
I was in Holland in 2001 and there was cheese everywhere, I thought I was in a really flat part of WI.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2013, 01:52:37 PM »
I'm pretty sure he was talking about all the kinds of cheeses Americans typically eat, not just "American Cheese."

He may have thought he was, but he would have been wrong. Just in the cheese section of my local supermarkeyt they have enough varieties that I doubt a visitor to the U.S. could possibly have sampled even half of them in a two-week stay, unless he/she actually made it a point to go in and buy one of each, and eat nothing but cheese for the entire duration of the visit.

Then there are the gourmet shops that stock a LOT of varieties of cheeses ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

grampster

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2013, 02:09:00 PM »
I wish we had a inter and intrastate system of elevated high speed trains so we could travel the country rather inexpensively and in leasure.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2013, 02:10:53 PM »
I don't want to live in a country were I can't buy toilet paper and a shotgun on the same ticket.

Along with cigarettes, a 12-pack of beer, and BACON!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2013, 02:13:19 PM »
He may have thought he was, but he would have been wrong. Just in the cheese section of my local supermarkeyt they have enough varieties that I doubt a visitor to the U.S. could possibly have sampled even half of them in a two-week stay, unless he/she actually made it a point to go in and buy one of each, and eat nothing but cheese for the entire duration of the visit.

Then there are the gourmet shops that stock a LOT of varieties of cheeses ...

Meh. Like I said, it's what people are typically eating. I'd wager the vast majority of shoppers are bypassing the Havarti for the jack cheese. I know I am. I think travelling through half the states in the Union, and probably dining at some pretty good restaurants along the way would give him a pretty good idea of the sort of cheese most of us are eating, most of the time. The guy obviously expects something else from cheese than we do. I'll give him that much benefit of the doubt.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 02:41:12 PM by fistful »