Author Topic: 13 things done by Americans that the rest of the world finds odd  (Read 13245 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: 13 things done by Americans that the rest of the world finds odd
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2013, 09:26:45 AM »
One of the things actually worth getting at Trader Joe's if you have one in your area. Tallpine probably has to drive, I dunno... 55 miles for one... 

Never heard of them except here  =|

We drive 60+ miles one way for almost everything.  There are a couple grocery stores, two gas stations, and a hardware store in the county seat about 25 miles away.  There is even a part time dentist office but I ain't going to that butcher again  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2013, 09:38:05 AM »
13. Being obsessed with being the best country in the world

A sign of insecurity.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2013, 10:16:01 AM »
There is even a part time dentist office but I ain't going to that butcher again  =(

Well, I'm sure he'd do a better job if he could get more practice by giving up his other part time jobs of running the general store and the fillin' station, and being the town mayor.  =D

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2013, 10:47:35 AM »
Well, I'm sure he'd do a better job if he could get more practice by giving up his other part time jobs of running the general store and the fillin' station, and being the town mayor.  =D

Substitute pickups for horses and you've got it all about right  :lol:

No, I think he opened an office in Billings also because he couldn't find enough victims locally.  But in general the town is about like that.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2013, 10:51:59 AM »

One of the things actually worth getting at Trader Joe's if you have one in your area. Tallpine probably has to drive, I dunno... 55 miles for one...  =D

I lurvs my TJ's.  

Things I get there that I can't get anywhere else:

1. Goat milk.  I tend to favor this over regular cow milk because it has less lactose.
2. $6/sixpack good beer.  'Nuff said.  
3. Saint Donatus Baloton Boglari Merlot.  Best $5 bottle of wine I've ever found.
4. Lamb chops for a price that doesn't kill my entire weekly grocery budget.
5. Good sharp cheddar cheese.
6. Jo-Joes.  Oreos, but they DON'T suck.  Cookie is fresh, cream filling is smooth rather than solidified.
7. I get my dog's food there.  Used to buy Nutro for him at the pet store, but it's gotten too expensive.  The TJ's house brand lamb/rice formula keeps him happy and healthy and costs a lot less than Nutro.
8. Anything else that catches my eye.  Fresh dried mango with absolutely no other ingredients or preservatives (their dried fruit and nut selection is awesome), neat things in the frozen food aisle, stuff like that.

I tend to do my grocery shopping at Albertson's for most meats, the local Farmer's Market for most produce, Walmart once a month for canned and box stuff, and TJ's for most non-essentials.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 10:57:05 AM by AZRedhawk44 »
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2013, 11:33:41 AM »
Passed a TJs this morning on the way to work. Remarked to Castle Key how good their cheese prices and selection are.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2013, 11:36:32 AM »
The driving everywhere thing typically is strange to people from small countries. I had a conversation with a guy from Denmark who was ragging on Americans not riding bicycles everywhere. He was completely baffled when I told him that a 20 mile commute is not uncommon. The distance that would take me two countries away in Europe wouldn't get me out of my state here. Russians aren't at all baffled by it, they are just envious of roads.

Personally, there are some things I don't get, even after being here over 20 years. Some of it is that I just don't get team sports and a lot of stuff related to it.  I don't understand the relationship of college and sports. I appreciate cheerleaders, but don't understand their presence at sporting events. The concept of pep rallies is a complete mystery to me.

The American puritanism I am used to by now, but do find it silly.

I am now hungry for something cheesy made of pumpkins...
I know an engineer who worked in Holland for a while.  He said they reason they don't drive or commute is because of strict national zoning laws.  You can't just go build a subdivision on land zoned for farming.  You can't just go build a house on land you own.  He said there was a waiting list to rent houses out in some of the villiages outside the cities.  He did say they started relaxing the zoning regulations some and they are slowly doing the same thing we are.  No matter where you go, poeople still want their own house and land if they can get it.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2013, 11:57:16 AM »
Passed a TJs this morning on the way to work. Remarked to Castle Key how good their cheese prices and selection are.

I've been hooked on their double Gloucester lately. They also have a new Red Leicester with chilli peppers that's really good.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2013, 12:32:26 PM »
I'm a Stilton man, myself.

Unfortunately, it's not easy to get to the TJs near where I live.

It's in a strip mall with a HORRIBLE parking lot. Getting into it is bad, getting out of it is an absolute nightmare.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2013, 12:46:52 PM »
I'm a Stilton man, myself.

Unfortunately, it's not easy to get to the TJs near where I live.

It's in a strip mall with a HORRIBLE parking lot. Getting into it is bad, getting out of it is an absolute nightmare.

We have two of them here. The downtown one is apparently the twin of yours. The second one is smaller but with much better access. With the added bonus of being only a few miles from me and also near the University, so there's the nice scenery while shopping. Though there are also an inordinate amount of middle-aged Birkenstock wearing eco-hippy women who constantly seem to be having a contest on who can block aisles the longest.