Are you right or left-handed?

Right-handed
19 (55.9%)
Left-handed
13 (38.2%)
Ambidextrous
2 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: Right-Handed or Left-Handed?  (Read 1797 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Right-Handed or Left-Handed?
« on: August 18, 2022, 08:55:03 AM »
I'm sure we've had one of these polls sometime in the history of APS, but I noticed lately a lot of current members mentioning that they are left-handed (I am). I'm wondering how much higher current APS stats are than global stats, which seem to run 10-12%.

Oh, I added ambidextrous since I know someone will complain if I don't.  =)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Right-Handed or Left-Handed?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2022, 09:15:22 AM »
You should add bidextrous as that is a thing, as well.  I am bidextrous, not ambidextrous.  I do some things left-handed (eating and writing) and everything else right-handed.  I should note that although I can eat right-handed, I usually do so left-handed.  I cannot write right-handed at all.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2022, 09:23:47 AM »
I'm right handed and left eye dominant.
I have very early memories of being (some times rather forcibly) "corrected" to use my right hand so I may have been part of the last of those that were forced to right handedness.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2022, 09:25:00 AM »
I have very early memories of being (some times rather forcibly) "corrected" to use my right hand so I may have been part of the last of those that were forced to right handedness.

Folks tried to force me to write right-handed when I started grade school.  Told them to bugger off and never changed.  To my young mind it just didn't seem logical to write that way.  I didn't figure out how my hand was going to smear my writing until later.  Oh, well.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2022, 09:29:23 AM »
Left handed, right eye dominant.

I bat and golf right handed, shoot rifles/shotguns right handed, shoot handguns equally well from either hand.

Precision work/tool use always done with the left hand.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2022, 09:38:28 AM »
I'm fairly ambidextrous, thanks to all those years as a mechanic and as a drummer, until it comes to writing or throwing (data point: I also suck throwing Right-handed as well, just not quite as bad).
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2022, 09:46:29 AM »
Left handed.  Can write badly right handed.  Can't throw at all right handed.  Learned to shoot right handed and still do.  I can shoot okay left handed, but don't do it very often.  It is awkward doing all the controls with the wrong hand.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2022, 10:18:29 AM »
Grandpa was right handed and married a lefty.  All 4 kids were right handed.  Dad married a lefty, both my sister and I are right handed.  I married a lefty, all 4 of my kids are right handed.  I’ll know my son has found his true love when he brings home a left handed girl.
Formerly sumpnz

grampster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2022, 11:08:29 AM »

Left handed, right eye dominant.

I bat and golf right handed, shoot rifles/shotguns right handed, shoot handguns equally well from either hand.

Precision work/tool use always done with the left hand.

I'm a lefty, but I bat and golf right handed, throw left handed, shoot long guns left handed, hand guns equally well with both hands.  Precision work with tools can be ambidextrous, but sometimes it depends on what I'm doing.  Phone use I use either ear, (which I think happened when we still use phone booths and they were made for righties), depending on the circumstance.  I use my right hand for the computer mouse.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2022, 11:15:43 AM »

Interesting.  I didn't know they ever did that in America.  That was thing you heard about happening in enemy conformist communist dystopias.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2022, 11:21:46 AM »
Interesting.  I didn't know they ever did that in America.  That was thing you heard about happening in enemy conformist communist dystopias.

When my Mom was a kid in elementary school in the late 1930s/early 1940s she had a teacher who would try to "correct" Mom with a ruler. When my Grandfather heard about that, he visited the school and made it clear to the teacher and administration that his daughter would NOT be "corrected" and that she would continue to be left handed.

My Grandfather, who was also left handed, could be QUITE scary when he wanted, or needed, to be.

That ended the matter.

Odd fact about left handed in my Mom's side of the family....

One person in each generation going back at least 5 generations was left handed. Mom was the only woman.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2022, 11:23:53 AM »

The nuns that ran the school my mom went to (rural Oregon in the 50’s) would whack the knuckles of kids writing with their left hand.
Formerly sumpnz

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2022, 12:24:50 PM »
It was still a thing into the late '60s depending on where you were.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2022, 12:28:13 PM »
It was still a thing in the mid 80s when my teacher forced me to right right handed.

I'm sinister handed, but writing (messily) is the one thing I do with my right hand. Never got past that one teacher's enforcement.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2022, 12:42:53 PM »
It was still a thing into the late '60s depending on where you were.

It was a thing in CA then as well. I seem to vaguely remember the teachers tried it with me in the 2nd or 3rd grade. I can't remember if they gave up or the policy changed.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2022, 01:18:23 PM »
I'm really glad that no one ever tried to "correct" me in elementary school.

Based on what my Mom went through when she was a kid I have no doubt she would have gone absolute nuclear apocalypse on them.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2022, 01:41:33 PM »
Like all patriotic, God-fearing Americans, I am right-handed: it's the right way to live.

And I am the best blood type, A+. What a model am I!

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2022, 01:44:41 PM »
I'm left handed, AB+, CMV-

That puts me in something like 0.0004% of the entire population of the United States.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2022, 01:50:09 PM »
I am left handed but like most, if not all left handers there are many things I do right handed and am ambidextrous in a lot of things. When I was growing up many things I was taught such as sports was by right handers so most of them I do right handed. The important things like writing, using eating utensils, shooting and wiping my ass I do left handed. Most power tools I also use left handed which puts me at a higher risk of catastrophic death according to some studies. ;)

bob

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2022, 02:11:31 PM »
Left handed and was very much so as a child. Had no strength or control in the right to the point something like clipping my nails was impossible when it came time to do the left hand.

In 1983 my third grade teacher was an eighty year old crank who would have cured me if all those youngsters in administration let her. Hated left handers and gave me no help. To this day my writing is crap.

My dad was almost as bad, he had me feed the dogs and gave me cans of alpo and a military pocket knife. Those can openers do not work left handed.

Golf and baseball I learned right handed. Zero idea how to do it left handed.

For a good long while I was a right handed welder. In weld school I was struggling and finally had to switch to running rod left handed because I couldn’t control the right fingers finely enough to get the rod to the where and when I needed. For a while I couldn’t weld left but now it is my primary hand but I switch all day depending on where I need things to be. Most coworkers have zero weak hand abilities.

When I shot weekly IDPA we often had time to shoot the match several times with different guns. I would bring a right handed holster and do it. I was always about two classes below left handed me but in general I roast people if a stage specified weak hand.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2022, 06:51:01 PM »
I'm grip handed.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2022, 07:09:14 PM »
Left-handed, but like BobR said can do a lot of things equally well (or almost equal) with my right. 

My brother and all my first cousins are also lefties.  My parents and aunts and uncles were not.  It's a little weird.
"It's good, though..."

grampster

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2022, 07:13:32 PM »

Hah.  Apparently you were not edumacated by the Sisters of Mercy Who Had Absolutely No Mercy Whatsoever.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2022, 07:34:57 PM »
Hah.  Apparently you were not edumacated by the Sisters of Mercy Who Had Absolutely No Mercy Whatsoever.

The Catholic Church had a bias against left handedness (literally viewed them as servants of Satan) which translated into the nuns trying to beat it out of all kids in their schools.  Areas with little or no Catholic influence probably were better about letting kids use whatever hand they wanted for writing and such.
Formerly sumpnz

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2022, 08:29:26 PM »
Right handed but shoot left handed since I’m left eye dominant.