Are you right or left-handed?

Right-handed
19 (55.9%)
Left-handed
13 (38.2%)
Ambidextrous
2 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: Right-Handed or Left-Handed?  (Read 1798 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: Right-Handed or Left-Handed?
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2022, 08:32:33 PM »
My folks weren't sure... I ended up writing right handed because of nuns... I mouse right-handed, because that's how they're made. If I need a quick password? That's left side of the keyboard. Cameras are right handed. I swing a bat or an axe left handed, but I can switch to right. I golfed left-handed until an employer insisted I take some classes with a "pro," and he insisted I dump the lefty club bag, and get a set of rights... My game really really sucked after that.

I shoot rifles right handed. My favorite rifle was right bolt, left port so I could feed it with the left side. In handguns, I mostly shoot, and carry, right side - I am right-eye dominant. But back when I had money to burn, I taught myself to two-gun point shoot.
Blog under construction

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2022, 08:54:29 PM »
Interesting.  I didn't know they ever did that in America.  That was thing you heard about happening in enemy conformist communist dystopias.

Excellent and funny.  I'm strongly right-sided and I always felt a little sorry about left-handed kids trying to deal with the right-handed desk/chair combinations.  Scrooching around to take an exam  or notes always bothered me about them.

Left handed desk/chairs started to appear when I got to High School.

I'm right-handed, but use the mouse with left hand because that's the way my desk was laid out at work.  Carried over to home, where the mouse is used on the couch cushion to my left.  Have not changed the  button pattern, though.  Middle finger of left hand controls the left button and index finger controls the right button.

Seems natural to me and I don't understand you people using the mouse with your right hand.  You should be forced to use your left hand with the mouse, the way nature intended.

NR032 ,yrreT
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2022, 09:03:41 PM »
I never understood why 1911's weren't built the way God intended them to be. Noooooo, you have to do it yourself!!

Strong LH preference for 1911's. :)

bob

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2022, 01:25:21 AM »
Although I have to write right-handed, having worked in laboratories most of my life, I do many things with both hands.  When squirrel hunting, I have shot left-handed on many occasions.  I sometimes practice with my handguns with my left - but not enough, esp. considering I'm missing half of my left thumb (table saw).
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2022, 05:08:54 AM »
I never understood why 1911's weren't built the way God intended them to be. Noooooo, you have to do it yourself!!

bob

Pretty gun, but kwitcher bellyachin'.  The Colt Single Action
revolvolator was apparently built for left hands, considering
the loading gate and ejector rod is on the right side.

On the third hand, all (?) Colt handguns have left hand
rifling.  Was old Sam'l left handed and  sending a message
to the world?
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2022, 07:09:26 AM »
"The Colt Single Action
revolvolator was apparently built for left hands, considering
the loading gate and ejector rod is on the right side."

Mmm.... no. The Colt Peacemaker was designed, quite logically, for right handed people.

Think about it...

If you're bouncing around on a horse, trying to reload your single action army... are you going to want to be doing the job of manipulating cartridges into the cylinder through the loading gate using your strong hand or your weak hand?

That's why the Peacemaker has the loading gate and ejector rod on the right side of the frame.

The right handed shooter passes the empty gun to his left, or weak hand, which simply holds the gun. With his right hand he goes through the fine motor skills process of opening the loading gate, shucking the empties, and then reloading the gun.

Once the reloading process is completed, he passes the gun back to his strong hand to continue firing.

The location of the loading gate and ejector rod makes perfect sense for use by a right-handed shooter.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2022, 07:56:48 AM »
I mouse right-handed, because that's how they're made.

Trackball for the win.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2022, 07:59:10 AM »

bob
(Fixed img end tag. HH)

Other than having to add an ambi safety, one could argue that 1911s were almost built for lefties. I'm really comfortable with using my left forefinger for the other controls.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 05:52:30 PM by HeroHog »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2022, 09:05:02 AM »
Regarding your mouse, you do know that you go into the control panel and set it up for left handed operation?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2022, 09:47:44 AM »
Other than having to add an ambi safety, one could argue that 1911s were almost built for lefties. I'm really comfortable with using my left forefinger for the other controls.

Before discovering ambi safeties I still carried 1911s, it was very simple to sweep off the safety with my left forefinger on the draw. Ambi safeties actually took some reconditioning of my brain in order to get used to them.

bob

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2022, 12:16:58 PM »
Ambi safety on a pistol is about my only allowance. I want a left handed bolt gun but right is better prone anyway. Nobody has ever said I operate a bolt too slow. Most other guns seem like they were secretly built by lefties.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2022, 01:04:16 PM »
Ambi safety on a pistol is about my only allowance. I want a left handed bolt gun but right is better prone anyway. Nobody has ever said I operate a bolt too slow. Most other guns seem like they were secretly built by lefties.

Nah, you don't want a LH bolt, they are too weird to use after using RH bolts your entire life. ;)

bob

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2022, 02:13:00 PM »
Right handed here.
Side note: there is an interesting case study of a man in England that suffered from some terrible seizure disorder. Meds were not effective and he volunteered to receive an experimental surgery where some of the communicating fibers were cut between the right and left lobes of his brain.
It didn’t help with his seizures but after the surgery he could write with right AND left hands at the same time and write different characters and sentences simultaneously.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2022, 03:10:07 PM »
Right handed here.
Side note: there is an interesting case study of a man in England that suffered from some terrible seizure disorder. Meds were not effective and he volunteered to receive an experimental surgery where some of the communicating fibers were cut between the right and left lobes of his brain.
It didn’t help with his seizures but after the surgery he could write with right AND left hands at the same time and write different characters and sentences simultaneously.

I want that surgery. Already drives people nuts I can put bolts in with both hands simultaneously or worse yet loosen one and tighten the other.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2022, 03:15:11 PM »

My Savage 110 in 30-06 is left handed.  My favorite hunting rifle for deer and Elk.  One day I’ll build a left handed AR but for now all of mine are righty

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2022, 03:21:32 PM »
I'm a lefty. When I was 19, I broke my left wrist badly and was in a cast for three months, and in some pain for a while thereafter.  During that time, I had to do everything right-handed, obviously. 

To this day (I'm 44) I occasionally do a few things right-handed, such as eating or brushing my teeth. That was never the case before.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2022, 03:26:44 PM »
My Savage 110 in 30-06 is left handed.  My favorite hunting rifle for deer and Elk.  One day I’ll build a left handed AR but for now all of mine are righty

I do all RH ARs except the last one I put together I did a ambi safety and mag release. I really like the LH mag release.

bob

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2022, 03:58:50 PM »
Regarding your mouse, you do know that you go into the control panel and set it up for left handed operation?

Most mice have a right-handed ergonomic design, to cradle in the right palm with a slight curve.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2022, 05:34:13 PM »
Most mice have a right-handed ergonomic design, to cradle in the right palm with a slight curve.

Yep, makes them completely unusable by a left hander. In fact, those who dare are cursed... CURSED! for all eternity!

I've been using my "right handed" mouse left handed on my laptop for months because it fits better on my desk that way. I literally can't tell the freaking difference.

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2022, 07:57:40 PM »
Voted as Left handed since I use that one for finer motor-control operations such as writing and eating but the bidextrous category mentioned above is closer to the truth as I use my right hand for a lot of things too. Interestingly, if I do something with the other hand than what I learned it on, such as writing right hand instead of left or throwing left hand instead of right, I only have about half the power or dexterity in the "off" hand. Except for shooting where I'm just as terrible either way.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2022, 08:11:04 AM »
Well, so far the poll is showing that APS has a very significantly higher percentage of lefties than the general world population.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2022, 02:41:07 PM »
So, we are "fair and balanced?"
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

grampster

• friend
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2022, 03:10:30 PM »
Well, so far the poll is showing that APS has a very significantly higher percentage of lefties than the general world population.

As a result our brilliance is as well.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Pb

• friend
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2022, 06:20:11 PM »

Yeah… 'tis a small sample size, but the overrepresentation of Sinister people is huge.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2022, 07:54:10 PM »

Lefties and ambies are more likely to respond. Look at the comments.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife