Author Topic: Annoying computer glitch  (Read 809 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Annoying computer glitch
« on: July 23, 2018, 11:34:47 PM »
Windows 7, Firefox ESR 52.xx

I play a video in Youtube. If I stop the play just before it gets to the end, and back out of full-screen mode, there's a menu of other videos down the right side of the screen. I click one of those to watch next. The screen changes, and displays the new video title below the view window -- but the video in the window is still the one I already watched.

If I click reload, I then get the newly-selected video and I can watch it.

This just started happening a couple of weeks ago. How can I fix it so that when I select a video, that's what I get?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Phantom Warrior

• friend
Re: Annoying computer glitch
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 02:46:33 PM »
Why are you using ESR?  And why version 52?  I'm not an expert on Firefox ESR.  But I've spent enough time working on old computers that I'm inclined to guess this is an old browser issue.  Especially since ESR 52 is meant for XP and Vista.

I can't give you an authoritative answer on why this is happening.  But I would recommend either updating to ESR 60, installing normal Firefox, or installing another browser like Google Chrome.  I'm running Firefox 61.0.1 on Windows 7 and I don't experience the issue you are having.

One last thought, have you rebooted your computer?  Sometimes people just put it to sleep and let it go for weeks without rebooting.  A reboot might fix the issue.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 07:30:49 PM »
I'm using the ESR channel because the regular channel gets updated far too often. And I'm on version 52.xx because the newer versions don't play well with my add-ons. It's not a version 52 issue -- I've been on 52 for a long time, and this only started happening a couple of weeks ago.

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 02:11:53 PM »
Do you have the same problem if you try Youtube in Chrome?

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 02:30:51 PM »
There's a way to start Firefox without extensions.  I'd try that, for troubleshooting purposes.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 03:06:52 PM »
Do you have the same problem if you try Youtube in Chrome?

Chrome? I don't speak that language.

Which reminds me of another reason I don't choose to "upgrade" to a newer version of Firefox: I'm an analog person trying to survive in a digital world. It seems Chrome started all the browsers on a move to eliminate text labels/captions for icons. I run Firefox with Classic Theme restorer so I can get square tabs, below the menu bar, and menus with captions for the icons. Classic Theme restorer doesn't run on Firefox's new versions, and people who have made the switch tell me it's impossible to configure the screen the way I prefer to work.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2018, 03:11:20 PM »
Chrome? I don't speak that language.

Chrome seems like a toy to me.

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 03:12:38 PM »
What I was suggesting was that you try installing the Google Chrome browser side by side with Firefox and see if you have the same problem.  Similar to the  suggestion by lee n. field to try starting Firefox without extensions.  That might at least help you figure out where the problem is.

https://www.google.com/chrome/

I'm comfortable with my initial guess that this is a lack of compatibility between Firefox ESR 52 with those add ons and Youtube.  Older browsers start to develop problems with newer website as they become more and more obsolete.  Streaming video is one of the most likely things to cause problems.  Whether this was due to a change in Firefox, Youtube, or something else involved is anyone's guess. 

If you have a friend or family member that is tech savvy they might be able to figure out a way to preserve the way you are doing things and resolve this issue.  Or you may just have to accept this as a price of using an older browser. 

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Annoying computer glitch
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 12:24:55 PM »
I'm using the ESR channel because the regular channel gets updated far too often. And I'm on version 52.xx because the newer versions don't play well with my add-ons. It's not a version 52 issue -- I've been on 52 for a long time, and this only started happening a couple of weeks ago.
Which is why it could be an old/out of date issue. If there's something that's out of date and not playing well with something that is not out of date, that's your issue.

I echo the try something not out of date and see if you have the same issue opinion as this sounds very much like an out of date browser, or at the very least browser extension, issue.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2018, 12:47:05 PM »
Windows 7, Firefox ESR 52.xx

The absolute earliest ESR 52 is from March of last year.  Not all that old.