Author Topic: Random question for APS legal eagles.  (Read 856 times)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Random question for APS legal eagles.
« on: August 05, 2018, 09:02:17 PM »
I was watching a segment on how a daredevil nearly lost his leg doing a stunt.

That brought this question to my mind: If a daredevil dies during a stunt and you're part of his team, say the video guy or publicist or whatever job you may hold, even if unpaid, are you in anyway liable criminally or civilly for the death?

Would it matter if the relationships among the team were defined by a contract and things were run as a business concern as opposed to just a group of friends who get together to film things for fun? 
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

De Selby

• friend
Re: Random question for APS legal eagles.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 10:00:07 PM »
I was watching a segment on how a daredevil nearly lost his leg doing a stunt.

That brought this question to my mind: If a daredevil dies during a stunt and you're part of his team, say the video guy or publicist or whatever job you may hold, even if unpaid, are you in anyway liable criminally or civilly for the death?

Would it matter if the relationships among the team were defined by a contract and things were run as a business concern as opposed to just a group of friends who get together to film things for fun? 

Depends greatly on a wide array of variables.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 11:24:45 PM »
I agree that it varies greatly. That said ...

There was the case a year or too ago in which a guy told his girlfriend that a book would stop a bullet, so he had her shoot him in the chest while he held the book in front of him. Predictably, the bullet penetrated the book, and his chest. He died, and she was convicted of manslaughter even though it was his idea, she had expressed her concerns/objections, and he decided to go ahead.

https://www.thegoldwater.com/news/20647-Monalisa-Perez-Sentenced-For-YouTube-Stunt-That-Killed-Her-Boyfriend-Video
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 01:01:41 AM »
Depends on location, among other things.  Italy, for example, would be a poor choice of location for, well, anything if legal liability is possible.
Formerly sumpnz

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 01:48:16 AM »
Depends on location, among other things.  Italy, for example, would be a poor choice of location for, well, anything if legal liability is possible.

Having done stupid stuff in Italy, why is that?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 06:37:06 AM »
Probably the most significant factor in determining liability would be the role a crew member played in the stunt compared to the cause of death.   For example, if it's a motorcycle jump,  it would be difficult to see how a camera guy would be liable if there was a crash.  You would have to establish a duty on the crew member, a failure to properly do that duty, and a causal link between that failure and the death.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 07:44:30 AM »
I'd imagine that for a properly sanctioned stunt, as long as you aren't negligent as a crew member, they'd be fine.  There is after all a stunt person association. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 08:37:55 AM »
Having done stupid stuff in Italy, why is that?

For.one thing, in Italy they will keep trying you till they get the verdict they want. None of that double jeopardy stuff in their system.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 12:02:22 AM »
For.one thing, in Italy they will keep trying you till they get the verdict they want. None of that double jeopardy stuff in their system.

Yep.  See the Williams F1 team after Ayrton Senna died, the geologists that failed to predict the earthquake that killed a bunch of people, Amanda Knox, etc. 
Formerly sumpnz