Author Topic: Best small shortwave radio  (Read 595 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Best small shortwave radio
« on: August 06, 2018, 04:19:00 PM »
What unit would make sense to have around the house?

Battery power option is a must have as its primary function would be informational during emergency events.

I had a cheap a.m./fm weather radio with a crank and small solar panel that failed on me.

Looking for a solid choice that will last and would love to be able to pick up shortwave.

Reading reviews is just confusing me.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Best small shortwave radio
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 06:23:07 PM »
I am of the opinion that you cannot go wrong buying something from CC Crane: https://www.ccrane.com/

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 06:44:21 PM »
Is shortwave still a thing? I haven't see a reference or heard a peep about it in years.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 07:26:41 PM »
I got this one as a gift last year:

https://www.amazon.com/Tecsun-PL880-Conversion-Shortwave-Reception/dp/B00GJ51NVA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1533597654&sr=1-1&keywords=Tecsun+PL880

After I got it, I posted here asking about good channels to listen to. Mtnbkr, who is a shortwave guy, replied that there simply isn't a lot out there anymore as far as broadcasts, etc., at least for a rig like that.

I used to have one of the cheap ones with the hand crank maybe 20 years ago and  I remember listening to all kinds of international broadcasts in the evening, just with the telescopic antenna on it. On my new one, I even rig a long wire across the living room and even outside, and get very few broadcasts. Several religious stations and a Chinese station and once in a while some Mexican stations. Possibly I don't know what I'm doing, but it sure seems sparse compared to what I was getting the last time I had an SW receiver.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 04:30:40 PM »
Did some poking around and was disappointed to discover shortwave is all but dead. What I'm seeing echoes what Ben said, religious and Chinese. There are a smattering of private stations around but most of those are just because the equipment hasn't died yet. The stuff that used to get a lot of interest on SW has gone interwebz-based.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 05:55:21 PM »
Well that’s a bummer.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.