Author Topic: VOIP???  (Read 1753 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
VOIP???
« on: August 06, 2018, 07:50:20 PM »
Who has voice over Internet telephone service? I've been planning to dump my telephone company entirely and change to cable Internet and VOIP, but I had a conversation with their sales rep today that seemed to suggest that they can't deal with those old fashioned telephone thingies -- he seemed to expect that I would have a cordless phone system with 4 or 5 cordless remote units. That's not what I have, I have telephones in each bedroom and in four other rooms in the house. Plus I have a second number that's a dedicated ax number.

I'm beginning to think they can't do all that.

How does VOIP work?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: VOIP???
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 08:29:34 PM »
I use Xfinity/Comcast VOIP for my home service.  I have a cordless phone, but it is plugged into the wall with the standard phone cord (RJ?). 
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 08:36:59 PM »
They want to sell you a phone system.
Depending on the system they offer for basic VOIP it should be able to handle a phone and a couple of extension, at least 1 anyway.
I haven't messed with them in about 16 years but the VOIP systems I was installing for businesses each set had it's own IP like PCs on a network. I'm gona guess they've gotten better since then.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 08:40:42 PM »
I have eight [8] physical telephones plus an answering machine on line 1, and a multi-function printer/scanner/fax connected to the second line. If they can't make all that work without selling me a bunch of adapters, I have no incentive to change. It's not an office, it's my home. There is no "telephone closet," just a box on the outside of the garage and things take off from that.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 08:53:22 PM »
It'a almost amazing what 100+ year old tech can do that all the fancy new stuff can't quite manage.

I'll keep my POTS line as long as they offer it. When we had the big ice storm in 2007 we were without power for a week. We never lost dial tone at my house.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 08:55:13 PM »
Okay, I've worked with VOIP, dad has VOIP, etc...

VOIP stands for Voice Over Internet Protocol.  It means that you use your network/internet for phone service, using data, not POTS (Plain Old Telephone System).

However, there are many ways to do this.  If you are going with a provider, they provide the link to POTS so you can call other people's cell phones and such.  They're the telephone company.  If you bought the right equipment, you could have VOIP phones in the house/business then transition to a POTS system to reach the rest of the world, but you're doing the opposite, by the sound of it.

At my work, we got VOIP phones that you plugged a network cable into.  They were expensive and highly capable devices that we didn't really use any of the advanced features of.  The advantage of this is that you only need to maintain 1 network of wiring.  

It sounds like what you want is to utilize your traditional phones with the transition to VOIP happening at your service entrance.  

Given the description, you will need TWO adapters, as long as they are the right ones.
For line one, you need a voice line adapter that you plug a phone into.  They might be trying to sell you an individual line for every phone.  It's also a lot simpler to have an adapter next to your router that you plug ONE network cable into, then ONE POTS cable to your wireless telephone base station.  However, you can plug the POTS line into the wall instead, and much like a cheater cable for a power generator going into the dryer outlet, it will provide phone service to the rest of the house, with many of the same caveats: 1.  You have to have the phone lines disconnected from the telephone company.  2.  It may not have enough power to ring every phone in the house at full volume.

Really, the easiest way is to simply get the device and test it.  

For line 2, you need an adapter specifically for the fax system, assuming you still need it.  You may also want to consider dropping the second line and simply engaging with a "fax to email" or similar service.  No need to print faxes automatically, right?  Just get an email with the PDF...  There's similar systems for sending faxes.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 09:31:27 PM »
I've been on a VOIP service, PhonePower.com, for decades now. At one house, I was using hard wiring in the house disconnected from the outside. Worked well provided you have good wiring with low resistance. The PhonePower system has 1 "real" line and a "cloned" second line meaning you can make and get 2 calls at the same time but you only have one number.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 09:47:05 PM »
You still have a land line? :old:
With my moving around I actually haven't had one in many many years. I wonder how many people still do. I would think that with people growing up with cell-phones and now moving out on their own that it's got to be a shrinking number.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2018, 10:03:14 PM »
Yes, I still have a landline, and I'm reluctant to give it up for just the reason RKL cited -- telephone service during a power outage. But -- the telephone company has really screwed the pooch on my Internet, so I need to make a change to that. The cable company claimed they could save me money if I switch both Internet and telephone to them. Saving money is always attractive, but NOT if it means a lot more work, and having to invest in a lot of new hardware. I'm already pulling a new RG6 coax and an electrical outlet to an oversized coat closet so I can get the wireless router nearer to the geographic center of the house. But there aren't any phone outlets in the coat closet. And if they want to put the modem and the phone adapter in the garage where everything comes to the house -- there's no electricity there, and it would be a muy grande PITA for me to get an electric outlet to that location.

This sounded easy at first, and of course a sales rep is going to make it sound that way. The more I learn, the less it looks like they can make my system work without involving a lot more work and expense than I'm willing to pony up.

Firethorn: Yes, I do still need the fax line. And I don't have a wireless telephone "system" I have a wireless telephone base station right next to the wall phone in the kitchen. It was given to me, and it replaced my old answering machine that died. I probably haven't used the cordless phone more than twice in the five or so years I've had it. It's an answering machine to me -- nothing more. I have no desire to or intention of converting to a new cordless phone system to accommodate the cable company. If they can't make my existing telephone system work, at no effort or expense to me, they don't get my business.

[Edit to add} Almost forgot -- I also have an alarm system that comminicates over the phone line, so they also need to assure me that they can keep that intact and functioning.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2018, 12:22:03 AM »
We pay <$15/Mo for our VOIP and, in truth, all it does is auto-forward to my cell phone these days. Our alarm system is monitored via the internet AND Cell services as a backup. I use the VOIP when I am on my PC as I have software that lets me use it as long as I have an Internet connection. We have a wireless handset for the VOIP just incase a guest wants to make a call and we don't want them on our cell phones.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2018, 08:27:44 AM »
OOMA  <$5/month, though the original equipment is about $100. I only have one as a house phone for the kids to use until they both have cell phones. I've had this service for 4 years, never had a problem with it.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2018, 08:59:59 AM »
Can I port my existing numbers to OOMA? The landline number and the fax number serve my home office. I have had the same numbers for more than 30 years. If they suddenly go away, old clients won't know how to reach me, and I can't afford to make it more difficult for clients to reach me. Consulting gigs are scarce enough as it is.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2018, 10:09:40 AM »
Another vote for Ooma. Yes you can transfer existing numbers though they do charge $40 for the privilege (unless you pay for a year of "Ooma Premier"). We've never had a problem with the service. Any phone outages we've experienced have been due to our Comcast internet crapping out, none due to Ooma itself.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2018, 11:34:21 AM »
Catch 22 for me. I have to have a landline, no cell phone service. I have pretty good internet but it is DSL from the phone company and I have to buy phone service to buy internet service. So no VOIP for me.  And try explaining to some company drone that no they cannot text a confirmation code because I have no service. It doesn't compute.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2018, 02:36:12 PM »
You will want to make sure your fax device can work with VOIP.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2018, 02:49:31 PM »
Check into an analog telephone adapter, or ATA, to backfeed to your current phone wiring.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2018, 05:19:38 PM »
You still have a land line? :old:
With my moving around I actually haven't had one in many many years. I wonder how many people still do. I would think that with people growing up with cell-phones and now moving out on their own that it's got to be a shrinking number.
Where my parents live (rural area), cell service can be spotty and unreliable.  It normally works, but sometimes has issues.  The land line is much more dependable. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

motojim515

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2018, 05:34:46 PM »
I have had VOIP in various forms in both NC and CO.

The phone and fax lines need a filter. You can get one on the line after it enters the house, and what I currently have, or one on each line. Same one works for either line. I have had no problems with either HP or Brother all in one fax-print-scan working with these.

The ones I have from my last house are "2Wire DSL Filter for single wire phones" Here is a link to Amazon of what I am using. https://www.amazon.com/2WIRE-FILTER-TELEPHONE-ANALOG-MODEMS/dp/B00FEYRU96/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1533677471&sr=8-10&keywords=2wire+dsl+filter

I use hardwire phone and fax due to my wife's previous job requirements. My relic of a phone from 1988 still works with VoIP line.

Yeah, trying to explain to some that you cannot text my home phone cause their brain cell to lock.  =D

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2018, 05:57:12 PM »
Check into an analog telephone adapter, or ATA, to backfeed to your current phone wiring.

Brad

The service I use, PhonePower, includes one that supports 2 lines. I've had the same unit since I signed up over 10 years ago! I also have a Free USB device from them for my PC/Laptop that allows me to plug into an analog telcom device.
MOLON LABE!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2018, 06:04:55 PM »
I have Google Voice and use this device to plug a phone into: https://www.amazon.com/OBi200-1-Port-Adapter-Support-Service/dp/B00BUV7C9A

Cell phone service at the house is mediocre at best with lots of dropped calls.  When I have to be on reliable service for teleconferences and such, I use the Google Voice.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2018, 02:01:32 AM »
I have had VOIP in various forms in both NC and CO.

The phone and fax lines need a filter. You can get one on the line after it enters the house, and what I currently have, or one on each line. Same one works for either line. I have had no problems with either HP or Brother all in one fax-print-scan working with these.

The ones I have from my last house are "2Wire DSL Filter for single wire phones" Here is a link to Amazon of what I am using. https://www.amazon.com/2WIRE-FILTER-TELEPHONE-ANALOG-MODEMS/dp/B00FEYRU96/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1533677471&sr=8-10&keywords=2wire+dsl+filter

I use hardwire phone and fax due to my wife's previous job requirements. My relic of a phone from 1988 still works with VoIP line.

Yeah, trying to explain to some that you cannot text my home phone cause their brain cell to lock.  =D

1.  The filter is unnecessary.  That is for your DSL, not VOIP.  The filter keeps the DSL "noise" out of your analog phones.
2.  If he still wants to use his old phones, he needs the ATA - Analog Telephone Adapter.  As long as it has enough grunt, it can operate all of the phones.  The main concern/power use is ringing.  All telephones on the same line use the same wires, basically in parallel, no different than an electric branch.

Hawkmoon, I wasn't saying that you have a base station.  I was trying to say that that is the preferred install method for the cable company because it is the easiest.

Regardless, you only need a connection to your network in a spot that you can plug into a phone line.  You'll probably want an ATA in your "work" room where the fax machine is, get one with 3 ports out, preferably.  1 for the phone in the room, 1 for the fax, 1 for the rest of the house.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2018, 09:13:00 AM »
I use Republic Wireless.

If I’m on any wi-fi my calls go through the internet.

If I’m not on wi-if the phone switches to cell service automatically.

$20 per month with little cell data.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2018, 09:39:09 AM »
Catch 22 for me. I have to have a landline, no cell phone service. I have pretty good internet but it is DSL from the phone company and I have to buy phone service to buy internet service. So no VOIP for me.  And try explaining to some company drone that no they cannot text a confirmation code because I have no service. It doesn't compute.

Who is your ISP?
As far as I know AT&T sells "dry loop" DSL in every market.

Poor cell service is the major reason I maintain a land line. I could get voice service over my fiber line from my electric Co-op but I get a pretty good discount on my landline.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2018, 11:02:04 AM »
Now that I have a [somewhat] better understanding of this, I've pretty much decided that I'm going to keep my existing telephone service. I run a consulting practice out of my home. I've had the same numbers (phone and fax) for over thirty years. Business isn't great these days, and I absolutely can't roll the dice and have the cable company port the numbers over to them and then not be able to have me up and running instantly. If the one client who wants my services all month can't get through because the number has gone dead ... he'll go to someone else, and I can't afford to be giving business away.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. It's my Internet that's broke, so that's what needs fixin'.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2018, 05:32:40 PM »
Cable company rep was just here. He had done some homework, and the best he could come up with was "I think we should be able to make it work."

That's not the level of comfort I was looking for. I'm giving him the Internet, but I'll keep the telephone service with the telephone company.