Author Topic: The best ADHD meds for kids and adults  (Read 1423 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
The best ADHD meds for kids and adults
« on: August 08, 2018, 10:56:27 AM »
https://www.medpagetoday.com/psychiatry/adhd-add/74460

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpsy/article/PIIS2215-0366(18)30269-4/fulltext

Based on the results of a meta-analysis, Ritalin for kids and amphetamines for adults is the recommended drug for ADHD.  In my wife's fourth grade class, the ADHD kids are most commonly on Ritalin.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: The best ADHD meds for kids and adults
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 11:26:56 AM »
I was thinking of a topical treatment that is administered several times in succession.  I am sure there are other non-drug alternatives. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxj8jJMZSCY
Bad recording, but hulu doesn't work here so the official South Park link wouldn't play.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 11:31:01 AM »
We moved to managing my son's ADHD via natural supplementation, diet and exercise. We got the same results as we were getting with him on medications, minus the nervous ticks, moodiness, and crashing.  Oh, and we couldn't get him to eat enough, he was borderline failure to thrive and went an entire year without gaining weight.
He's a thriving teenager now, healthy and smart.

Ritalin made him an emotional wreck.  He did best on adderall.  But I'm so glad we kicked that *expletive deleted*it to the curb.
His low days on medications were sad and depressing as a parent.  I can't believe we ever gave that *expletive deleted*it to him at all.
It's over prescribed, pushed by doctors who don't have any idea on how to manage a child with other means, and abused by too many parents who don't discipline their kids.  But at least the schools are begging parents to use it, too.  :facepalm:
This is a video testimonial my wife did on our son a few years ago. 
https://youtu.be/Ros0tZoNLYU
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 11:34:14 AM »
I was thinking of a topical treatment that is administered several times in succession.  I am sure there are other non-drug alternatives. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxj8jJMZSCY
Bad recording, but hulu doesn't work here so the official South Park link wouldn't play.

There are plenty of kids who legit have an issue.  But the system is rigged to place them on medications.  It's the easiest and most profitable solution so it's what's pushed.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 11:34:20 AM »
I hadn't heard that adult ADHD was a thing.  I would think regular exercise and a reasonable diet would help most people.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 11:37:22 AM »
I'm not too keen on the prevailing "dope 'em all, particularly the boys" trend.
Using my 12 year old grandson as my closest example. The kid is sharp as a tack. But he gets bored if he isn't engaged. My opinion, after having met a couple of his teachers, is he is smarter than them and they resent it.
Locked up in class all day, no real physical activity and no real mental challenge and the libtarded teachers can't understand why the kids get bored and antsy and act out so the kids must have a problem and need to be medicated.
Teaching to the lowest common denominator has destroyed our public education system.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 11:42:52 AM »
There are plenty of kids who legit have an issue.  But the system is rigged to place them on medications.  It's the easiest and most profitable solution so it's what's pushed.
Agreed.  I make light of it because I think most kids don't really need it and the negative effects are rarely talked about.  IMO, the lack of attention to the potential negatives is a tragedy.  I don't know if it is the school administrations who don't want to address it or the fact that the pharmaceutical companies spend so much in advertising that the media is afraid to anger them.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 11:54:18 AM »
Anyone have any stats on how many of the juvenile school shooters were taking ADHD meds?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 12:56:09 PM »
Anyone have any stats on how many of the juvenile school shooters were taking ADHD meds?

SSRI's and SSNRI's are the primary pharmaceutical for all mass shooters, including school shooters.  I'm sure AD(H)D drugs feature too though.
Formerly sumpnz

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 01:47:40 PM »
I'm not too keen on the prevailing "dope 'em all, particularly the boys" trend.
Using my 12 year old grandson as my closest example. The kid is sharp as a tack. But he gets bored if he isn't engaged. My opinion, after having met a couple of his teachers, is he is smarter than them and they resent it.
Locked up in class all day, no real physical activity and no real mental challenge and the libtarded teachers can't understand why the kids get bored and antsy and act out so the kids must have a problem and need to be medicated.
Teaching to the lowest common denominator has destroyed our public education system.

If the kid were really smart, he'd take the prescription and earn his college education fund by selling them to college kids.

(Sad that I need the disclaimer, but NO, don't really do that.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 02:22:15 PM »
I hadn't heard that adult ADHD was a thing.  I would think regular exercise and a reasonable diet would help most people.

I used to yell at my coworker to take his pills. It can be very much a thing.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2018, 02:26:24 PM »

What was this thread about?
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2018, 02:44:44 PM »
What was this thread about?

The best amphetamines to put children on...
JD

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2018, 04:21:45 PM »
The Best Meds for ADHD kids seems to be something called "Outside".   As in go play in it.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2018, 11:27:47 AM »
My wife takes some sort of amphetamine for ADHD
Without it, she barely functions.
With it, she literally runs 10 hrs straight, rearranges the furniture 4x, the kitchen twice, and starts a home remodeling job, and makes an elaborate meal, while I'm at work...

I wish there were a happy medium.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2018, 01:21:38 PM »

Too true.

My late ex-wife was a high school English teacher when I met her and while we were married. I don't know who in her schhol's administration she has pissed off, but she was usually assigned the worst students, the ones who were considered borderline unteachable. One time I looked at what she was assigning them to read, and I laughed. No wonder the kids -- especially the boys -- weren't interested. I suggested she try having them read something like Edgar Rice Burroughs, Journey to the Center of the Earth or the John Carter on Mars series. Those used good, proper English grammar and punctuation, and were interesting enough that the kids might stay with them long enough to absorb some reading skills.

Then I suggested she assign the boys in her class to write an essay about their car. What is was, and what they had done to modify it. Her kids knew she was married to a racer and former state autocross champion, so I told her to let the kids know that I would do the grading. They were all over it -- she was amazed by the length of some of the essays. They weren't great, but at least the kids were writing.

It's a question of finding something that attracts and holds their interest.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2018, 01:29:26 PM »
I used to yell at my coworker to take his pills. It can be very much a thing.

I do that all the time.  Usually benadryl.

Because you'll stop making snot noises when you're unconscious and stuffed under a table in the break room.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2018, 01:34:46 PM »
I do that all the time.  Usually benadryl.

Because you'll stop making snot noises when you're unconscious and stuffed under a table in the break room.

You couldn't pay me to take benadryl...

No, I take that back, but you'd HAVE to pay me to take benadryl.

MUCH prefer Claritin. Maybe suggest it to your cow-orker and he'll be more likely to take it. (And you can find generics quite cheaply.)

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2018, 02:58:52 PM »
Too true.

My late ex-wife was a high school English teacher when I met her and while we were married. I don't know who in her schhol's administration she has pissed off, but she was usually assigned the worst students, the ones who were considered borderline unteachable. One time I looked at what she was assigning them to read, and I laughed. No wonder the kids -- especially the boys -- weren't interested. I suggested she try having them read something like Edgar Rice Burroughs, Journey to the Center of the Earth or the John Carter on Mars series. Those used good, proper English grammar and punctuation, and were interesting enough that the kids might stay with them long enough to absorb some reading skills.

Then I suggested she assign the boys in her class to write an essay about their car. What is was, and what they had done to modify it. Her kids knew she was married to a racer and former state autocross champion, so I told her to let the kids know that I would do the grading. They were all over it -- she was amazed by the length of some of the essays. They weren't great, but at least the kids were writing.

It's a question of finding something that attracts and holds their interest.

I assume your late ex-wife was a fairly intelligent woman, and yet was unable to come up with these (to us) very obvious options to engage the interest of the boys.

She was likely also representative of the women in education, who make up the VAST majority of elementary and secondary school teachers.

Is it any wonder that boys are "falling behind"? Even without the teachers actively hostile to boys, it seems many of them cannot understand how boys think.