Author Topic: Divesting from CDs  (Read 978 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Divesting from CDs
« on: August 08, 2018, 01:11:20 PM »
For about 17,000 years now, I've been planning to rip all of my hundreds of CDs to my hard drive, but I've only ever done about 90 of them. I had always planned to keep the CDs themselves. But storing the physical media is a bit of a pain, so I'm thinking I'll just go completely digital, and back up the digital files to a second hard drive.

Will I regret doing this?

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Divesting from CDs
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 01:16:05 PM »
Yes.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 01:16:49 PM »
I don't give a flip about cds ....I WANT TO KNOW YOUR SECRET FOR LONGEVITY!! [tinfoil] >:D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 01:19:25 PM »
Welcome to 2008.

Go digital, back up the files, don't look back.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 06:00:39 PM »
Damn dude, I was doing this when dial up was still a thing....

Get um digital. Back them up. Have fun. Heck back up to a few different thunmdrives if you want to really be secure.

Oh and buy future music digital also. Cheaper and you don't have to buy the whole album if you don't like or want all of the songs on it. I highly recommend Amazon, itunes is the devil.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 06:17:43 PM »
I highly recommend Amazon, itunes is the devil.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

One great thing about Amazon: Probably ten years ago now, I one day opened up Amazon Music and found that Amazon had taken every CD that I bought from them over the years that also later had digital rights, and put all those CDs into my Amazon digital content without me lifting a finger. 

I thought that was pretty cool. Though I had already done around 50 of them by hand only a year or so before that happened.  :laugh:

I actually do still keep a CD full of MP3s in the player in each of my vehicles just in case the USB or Bluetooth craps out for any reason. Gives me about 8 hours of backup music.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 06:47:42 PM »
Oh and buy future music digital also. Cheaper and you don't have to buy the whole album if you don't like or want all of the songs on it. I highly recommend Amazon, itunes is the devil.

That's exactly what has kept me from buying music digitally. If they're 99 cents per song, I'll be buying songs right and left. "Oh, it's only a dollar."

So I go to Half Price Books, and buy albums on CD for $2 each.

The other reason is that I used to drive a car with a CD player, but no aux jack or Blue Tooth.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 10:53:34 PM »
I've been trying to keep  up with storage media since 360 floppies.*  Absolutely maddening.  So what happens when current digital storage becomes obsolete?

???

*ETA: Come to think of it, make that "since cassette cartridge storage."   Forgot about that.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 11:41:35 PM »

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2018, 12:20:52 AM »
I made good money on CD's until November 2008. I got rid of all of them before January 1st 2009.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2018, 12:51:47 AM »
I still buy CDs, and vinyls. Just something about actually having the object. But I also rip them all onto my computer. I use MediaMonkey and have it linked to the Discogs.com library to pull all the album information when ripping.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2018, 06:21:29 AM »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2018, 07:43:18 AM »
At various times I've ripped a bunch to my phone so that I can use it as a music player, but since I've started listening to Iheart radio regularly, not so much. I wouldn't get rid of them even if I were to rip them to an all electronic format, though.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2018, 08:33:47 AM »
I still buy CDs, and vinyls. Just something about actually having the object. But I also rip them all onto my computer. I use MediaMonkey and have it linked to the Discogs.com library to pull all the album information when ripping.

I broke out a bunch of vinyl a few years ago. I've actually just been listening to most of if on the turntable, though have downloaded some older songs that I rediscovered and liked. Many of them were on Prime, so it was a free switch*. I did find some really old German vinyl that my parents had that no longer exists as physical or digital media, and used Audacity to convert them and clean up the scratches.

*I've been a bit disappointed with Prime Music. It used to be really good, but in the last year or so, I notice that Prime Music on my playlists is always disappearing on me, or switched to being available on some "album" different than the link I used to get them. I'm kinda thinking Amazon is doing crap like that to just get people to buy unlimited music subscriptions. I can foresee a time when they just ditch Prime Music.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 08:56:39 AM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2018, 08:51:29 AM »
What is all this talk about crossdressers?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2018, 08:57:43 AM »
What is all this talk about crossdressers?

Something fistful wanted guidance about.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2018, 10:07:51 AM »
Thanks for the steer.  I need to rip a bunch of my CD's to my computer.  For some reason Windows Media player is unstable on my computer so I need something else to rip the CD's.  

I don't plan on getting rid of my CD's.  If space becomes a premium, I figure I will get a few of those stacks that new blank CD's come in and trash the cases.  The plastic books with jackets to slide the CD's into work okay also. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2018, 11:13:12 AM »

*I've been a bit disappointed with Prime Music. It used to be really good, but in the last year or so, I notice that Prime Music on my playlists is always disappearing on me, or switched to being available on some "album" different than the link I used to get them. I'm kinda thinking Amazon is doing crap like that to just get people to buy unlimited music subscriptions.

It's the iTunes "we understand you bought that album version for a reason but here's an album version we think is better and if you don't like it, screw you" model.

I still buy CDs, and vinyls. Just something about actually having the object. But I also rip them all onto my computer.

I do the same. I like the redundancy of physical media.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB