Author Topic: This annoys me...  (Read 1265 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
This annoys me...
« on: May 08, 2006, 04:00:26 PM »
I think he could have been more courteous to the active duty service member and SIGNED THE #*%$&^ BALL! angry

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Carlos Oliveras has a home run ball specially marked to assure authenticity.

It just doesn't have Barry Bonds' autograph as the slugger refused to sign the ball.

The 25-year-old Air Force serviceman bought his lucky ticket because he wanted to see Bonds chase Babe Ruth on the career home run list. Oliveras had little idea he'd be the one being chased -- by fans, by media -- after snagging career home run No. 713.

When the San Francisco Giants' slugger hit a mammoth shot in the sixth inning off Philadelphia right-hander Jon Lieber to put him one behind the Babe on Sunday night, the ball bounced around Section 202 and into Oliveras' hands.

"I never thought I was going to be lucky like that," Oliveras said.

This was the first game of the three-game series Oliveras and a friend attended. He bought the ticket two days ago because he's a Bonds fans and wanted to see a slice of history. Then he was part of it.

"Everybody was looking on the floor," Oliveras said. "The ball bounced to me. I grabbed the ball and I stuck it between my legs. Everyone was still looking around."

Oliveras, a native of Puerto Rico, said no one immediately tried to snag the ball because he had it hidden. When the media and Phillies security discovered he caught the ball, other Phillies fans -- many who spent the series jeering the sullen slugger -- started yelling for him to throw the ball back.

"It made me nervous," he said.

Oliveras, an Airman 1st Class who lives on McGuire Air Force Base in Fort Dix, N.J., paid $20 for his seat in Section 202, Row 7, Seat 24.

He said he is a Bonds fan and would probably keep the ball. He hoped it would have Bonds' signature.

Bonds said no when he was asked at his news conference if he would sign the ball if a fan wanted an autograph. Moments later, when an official asked if there were any more questions, Oliveras piped up:

"Will you sign my ball?"

Bonds smirked and said nothing.

After his news conference, Bonds shook Oliveras' hand and took a picture with him.

"I'm happy because I got a picture and he shook my hand," he said.

There was one signature needed though. Oliveras had to sign a waiver for Bonds' reality show.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Dannyboy

• friend
This annoys me...
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 04:54:29 PM »
Barry Bonds is a punk.  There was a big picture in the paper from one of the earlier games in the series that was classic.  "Babe Ruth did it on hot dogs and beer."  I just wish the guy would man-up and admit he's juiced.  If he breaks the record, it really should have an asterisk next to it.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
This annoys me...
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 05:06:23 PM »
I would have pissed on the ball and then thrown it back.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

elkhunter

This annoys me...
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 05:36:03 PM »
That's the best idea i've heard all week.

If it was me i would have refused to sign the waiver for his stupid reality show.

Barry Bonds is the only thing in the sports world that really, really, ticks me off.  If he isn't willing to sign a baseball for the fans that pay his salary then he doesn't deserve to play at all.

Bonds cheating wouldn't bother me nearlyu as much if he would actually come out and admit that he cheated.

Truly the only person in the world that I hope gets hit by a bus crossing the street just so he doesn't pass Babe Ruth's world.

grampster

• friend
This annoys me...
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 05:43:59 PM »
Late 20 and 21st century Professional Athletes: Coddled from the cradle to the grave.  Is it any wonder they are prima dona's that believe the rules don't apply to them?
Pfaghh, I don't pay any attention to any pro sports any more, save minor league hockey. (AHL)
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

bermbuster

• friend
This annoys me...
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 02:08:24 AM »
What an a**h***

Antibubba

• friend
This annoys me...
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 03:33:26 AM »
Ah, to only have been on hand with some anabolic steroids and a little DMSO.  They are testing him, aren't they?
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

cosine

• Administrator
This annoys me...
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 09:04:20 AM »
Quote from: Dannyboy
"Babe Ruth did it on hot dogs and beer."
Classic. I love that. Cheesy
Andy