Author Topic: NoVA realestate questions....  (Read 675 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
NoVA realestate questions....
« on: May 09, 2006, 04:56:53 AM »
....I'm seeing alot of places with basements.  Here in Ewetah, basements are almost always finishable living space (I'm sitting in my very posh basement now).  Are they mostly finishable out there?  Do they typically include unfinsihed basement in the SqFt tally?
Are there termites problems out there?
What other problems are typical?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 05:09:37 AM »
Most of the basements I've seen are finished.  Ours wasn't because the original owners requested it not be finished.  That suited us fine, so we left it as is.

Dunno about the sqft measurements and unfinished space.  I can't remember if it was included in ours or not...

I haven't heard about anyone having termite problems.  However, insist your "new" house has a termite bond in effect.  

The only problems I saw while shopping for a house (townhouse actually) was due to age (worn out hvac systems, aging roof, etc) or shoddy construction (drywall problems, creaking floors in <10yo house, etc).  Unfortunately, with the rapid growth of housing around here, you're likely going to see the latter problems unless you buy an older home (over 20yo) or a much more expensive home (I've seen problems in homes that are now selling for 750k+).  

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 05:40:58 AM »
It depends on the builder, it depends on the owner (if it's being built).

My house didn't have a finished basement when it was built. A later owner "finished" it, and did a 3/4ths crappy job.

I think in today's real estate market, though, you're a lot more likely to see a fully finished basement.

If the basement is unfinished, it does not tally into the square footage of the house, at least for tax purposes.

I think you tend to see more finished basements in houses that have walk out basements. Mine doesn't -- it's a full-inground basement.

I wish an older home was a guarantee against shoddy construction. I've found a LOT of crap in my house that makes me thing the county inspector was having his pockets lined.

As for termites, yes, they are a problem in this area. I've known a number of people who have had termite problems in their homes, or found termite problems in properties that they're going to purchase.

Which reminds me, I need to have my property treated again. It's about time.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 05:46:12 AM »
Thanks that clears a few things up.
The only shoody work in my basement is the paint, which I did.  I didn't get the drywall fully cleaned, so the paint comes off kinda easily.....
angry
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”