Author Topic: Where is all that right-wing terrorism, anyway?  (Read 3676 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Where is all that right-wing terrorism, anyway?
« on: June 20, 2016, 02:54:11 AM »
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/436739/orlando-shooting-gun-control-left-wing-identity-politics

The Feds keep preparing us for a wave of “right-wing” terrorism... that never quite seems to come to pass.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Where is all that right-wing terrorism, anyway?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 08:35:31 AM »
It happens, regularly. Generally small potato stuff, but with notable exceptions.

The 'militia' types occasionally do stupid stuff. Armed takeover of federal facilities at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge is a recent example. Timothy McVeigh killed 168 people. Not sure if Eric Rudolph is lumped in with militias but he did injure 100 plus folks. Besides the Olympics he targeted abortion clinics and a lesbian bar.

The Klan and other racial groups occasionally does something violent. Charleston church shooting, killed ten. Bunch of black churches got burned down in last couple of years. Said vermin have also attacked Jewish folks/property as well as gays.

Anti-abortion terrorism is regular as clockwork. Murder, arson, kidnappings, bombings, etc.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-abortion_violence#United_States

That said, it happens on a regular basis but it's certainly not endemic. Definitely not "a wave", just regular.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 10:39:31 AM »
It happens, regularly. Generally small potato stuff, but with notable exceptions.

The 'militia' types occasionally do stupid stuff. Armed takeover of federal facilities at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge is a recent example. Timothy McVeigh killed 168 people. Not sure if Eric Rudolph is lumped in with militias but he did injure 100 plus folks. Besides the Olympics he targeted abortion clinics and a lesbian bar.

The Klan and other racial groups occasionally does something violent. Charleston church shooting, killed ten. Bunch of black churches got burned down in last couple of years. Said vermin have also attacked Jewish folks/property as well as gays.

Anti-abortion terrorism is regular as clockwork. Murder, arson, kidnappings, bombings, etc.

That said, it happens on a regular basis but it's certainly not endemic. Definitely not "a wave", just regular.

Might want to look at those church burnings with a critical eye.  I recall that particular (im)moral panic.

The Sun also neglected to mention that the manufactured media coverage that launched the 1990s black-church-arson juggernaut, fueled by former USA Today reporter Gary Fields’s 61 fear-mongering stories, fell apart under scrutiny. Fields’s own employer was forced to admit that “analysis of the 64 fires since 1995 shows only four can be conclusively shown to be racially motivated.”

Reminder: Several of the hyped hate crimes against black churches had been committed by black suspects; a significant number of the black churches were, in fact, white churches; and the complex motives behind the crimes included mental illness, vandalism, and concealment of theft.

And I doubt the Klan, stripped of its federale contingent, could fill a small pizza joint.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 10:49:50 AM »
Most of the church burnings have been attributed to lightning, faulty wiring/hvac, or cooking related fires. Further down the line were arsons committed to hide thefts or for insurance fraud, and even more rare- right wing arsons.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 11:01:50 AM »
Today's local paper reports that Rush Limbaugh said there was NO right wing terrorism, and that he criticized Austin police chief Art Acevedo for saying otherwise.

Art responded by mentioning the guy who shot up the police station and the Mexican consulate back in 2014, cranking off over 100 rounds - before being shot dead by a horse cop.

Thing is, other than the perp, there were ZERO people killed or wounded in that incident; the guy had ample opportunity to shoot passers by, but didn't. To me, that makes his actions criminal vandalism - maybe reckless endangerment - but not terrorism.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 11:12:03 AM »
The perpetrators are out buying bazooka cannon rifle PTSD creator slaughter weapons of death, of course.

Fortunately, I already have one.

And it has the extra added evil of a bayonet mount.

I think.

It's actually so evil that I can't get near it to get a good look.

It just sits in a corner, growling, and thinking of busloads of nuns.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 11:14:39 AM »
You have to remember that all of the registered Democrat Muslim terrorists were driven to it by right wing Christian hate speech, so we really have seen quite a wave.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 12:01:25 PM »

So statistically significant (especially if you count instances where people occupy western wilderness areas, w/o hurting anyone), but lost among the constant barrage of leftist/Democrat violence.

There were a number of fires set at churches (most of them predominantly black) in or near Ferguson, recently. After a black suspect was charged, the press (so far as I can tell) has never reported on it.

I also question McVeigh's right-wing credentials. Being a racist doesn't make one a right-winger in the United States, any more than being "anti-government" does. Wasn't Code Pink "anti-government"?

Then again, I don't know a lot about McVeigh. I could be wrong.

Retraction.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 01:29:13 PM by fistful »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 12:46:10 PM »
To summarize, there has been some identifiable right wing "terrorism" (work place violence?), but compared to Islamic terrorism in recent years, it is a very small number.  It certainly doesn't rise to the level that our govt or law enforcement should waste much time on it.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2016, 01:02:43 PM »
Might want to look at those church burnings with a critical eye.  I recall that particular (im)moral panic.

And I doubt the Klan, stripped of its federale contingent, could fill a small pizza joint.

I do agree quite a few of those church burnings were questionable. A handful were not.

I also agree quite a few 'right wing extremist' groups would not exist without the continued support and membership of the federal government's informants.

So statistically significant (especially if you count instances where people occupy western wilderness areas, w/o hurting anyone), but lost among the constant barrage of leftist/Democrat violence.

There were a number of fires set at churches (most of them predominantly black) in or near Ferguson, recently. After a black suspect was charged, the press (so far as I can tell) has never reported on it.

I also question McVay's right-wing credentials. Being a racist doesn't make one a right-winger in the United States, any more than being "anti-government" does. Wasn't Code Pink "anti-government"?

Then again, I don't know a lot about McVay. I could be wrong.

*shrug*

The left wing does the same thing. Uses No True Scotsman to say that there is no left wing extremism. Admittedly they have a harder time using even the enormous power of No True Scotsman to explain away Islamic extremism, but they do their very best. I highly recommend it. You don't say "I question Mr McVay's right wing credentials", you say "Well, sure, he might have claimed to have been right wing, but No True Right Wing person of valid credentials does anything bad. If they do bad things, they're inherently not right wing."

Violence from left or right wing violence surges and wanes depending on the decade. It's hardly new or unique to refuse to acknowledge extremists in one's own ideological ranks, or even distant splinter groups.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2016, 01:19:53 PM »
Let's be clear that some of the False Scotsmen (the church arsonists) turned out to be True Ethiopians. Or faulty wiring, or whatever.

As for McVeigh and company, after a bit of reading, I will not object to them being described as "right-wing." They apparently opposed gun control, and the U.N., and were involved with (or at least sympathetic with) militia groups.

Of course, there is a very real phenomenon of blaming "right-wingers" whenever the bad guy isn't a jihadi.

http://legalinsurrection.com/2013/04/latest-narrative-deflection-minimizing-the-jihadist-threat-through-misleading-stats-about-right-wing-terrorists/

Oh. I forgot about the non-terrorism of the guys out west that never even tried to hurt anybody. Do you really think that counts?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 01:32:42 PM by fistful »

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2016, 02:27:28 PM »
The 'militia' types occasionally do stupid stuff. Armed takeover of federal facilities at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge is a recent example.

Illegal, but hardly terrorism.

By that standard, college students taking over administration buildings are also "terrorists."

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2016, 02:39:51 PM »
Illegal, but hardly terrorism.

By that standard, college students taking over administration buildings are also "terrorists."

Or BLM taking over sections of cities, or Bernie-bots threatening Trumpkins at rallies....
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2016, 05:05:34 PM »
if registered democrats stopped killing people, the murder rate would drop by 90%

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2016, 05:18:01 PM »
if registered democrats stopped killing people, the murder rate would drop by 90%

Is that with or without the abortion "clinics"?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2016, 05:55:10 PM »
. . . The 'militia' types occasionally do stupid stuff. Armed takeover of federal facilities at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge is a recent example. Timothy McVeigh killed 168 people. . .
IIRC, McVeigh visited the Michigan Militia, and wanted to join them . . . but after talking to him a bit, they turned him down. They had him pegged - correctly, as it turned out - as a nutcase. The media had quite a field day making a militia "connection" with McVeigh and were quite disappointed when it turned out not to exist.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2016, 10:51:58 PM »
Oh, look:

[Orlando Jihadi] and I continued to have infrequent conversations over the next few years. I last saw him at a dinner at his father’s house in January. We talked about the presidential election and debated our views of the candidates that were running – he liked Hillary Clinton and I liked Bernie Sanders.

WashPo article

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Where is all that right-wing terrorism, anyway?
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2016, 07:38:53 AM »
Well I believe we agree in principle I will wager that many of those Democrats are not registered and many of them cannot register or  are disqualified for one or more reasons

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2016, 08:10:31 AM »
Well I believe we agree in principle I will wager that many of those Democrats are not registered and many of them cannot register or  are disqualified for one or more reasons

Didn't the governor in Virginia just restore voting rights to around 200,000 disqualified Democrats?

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/23/us/governor-terry-mcauliffe-virginia-voting-rights-convicted-felons.html?_r=0

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2016, 09:35:30 AM »
Today's local paper reports that Rush Limbaugh said there was NO right wing terrorism, and that he criticized Austin police chief Art Acevedo for saying otherwise.

Art responded by mentioning the guy who shot up the police station and the Mexican consulate back in 2014, cranking off over 100 rounds - before being shot dead by a horse cop.

Thing is, other than the perp, there were ZERO people killed or wounded in that incident; the guy had ample opportunity to shoot passers by, but didn't. To me, that makes his actions criminal vandalism suicide by cop - maybe reckless endangerment - but not terrorism.

FTFY

IIRC, McVeigh visited the Michigan Militia, and wanted to join them . . . but after talking to him a bit, they turned him down. They had him pegged - correctly, as it turned out - as a nutcase. The media had quite a field day making a militia "connection" with McVeigh and were quite disappointed when it turned out not to exist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_McVeigh#Associations

Many articles say that he considered the MI Militia "too moderate" for him. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2016, 03:08:03 PM »
I don't know, but you can bet if someone claims to be a right-wing terrorist they will be taken at their word.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2016, 03:21:44 PM »

That doesn't stop them from voting.
"It's good, though..."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2016, 03:23:42 PM »
That doesn't stop them from voting.

Neither does death.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden