Author Topic: For profit prisons as impetus for the Arizona immigration law  (Read 1754 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
For profit prisons as impetus for the Arizona immigration law
« on: October 29, 2010, 10:29:02 AM »
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/editorials/2013286369_edit29arizona.html

A very interesting story about how lobbyists for private prisons were a key factor in passage of the Arizona immigration law.  This story is being picked up and additional reporting is being done by other media outlets. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

longeyes

• friend
Re: For profit prisons as impetus for the Arizona immigration law
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 11:36:45 AM »
So opposition to illegal immigration is a scheme by the prison lobby?  Please.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 12:01:12 PM »
So opposition to illegal immigration is a scheme by the prison lobby?  Please.
It doesn't have to be their scheme for them to benefit from it.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 12:38:00 PM »
i am in favor of "for profit" prisons if they can do the job for a better price.  as far as illegals go, i would think exporting them would be a more cost effective solution.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 02:03:03 PM »
One of the best quotes in the report is from a member who describes ALEC as "the conservative, free-market-oriented, limited-government group." Yes indeed. Gov. Jan Brewer signed the law in April. Her spokesman and her campaign manager are former lobbyists for private prison companies.

Limited government is best, especially if corporations can profit handsomely from it.  A very good return on investment of lobbying dollars, I would say.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 02:18:14 PM »
i am in favor of "for profit" prisons if they can do the job for a better price.  as far as illegals go, i would think exporting them would be a more cost effective solution.

These detention centers are used to hold suspected illegal immigrants until their cases are decided.  Then they get deported (hopefully).

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 05:12:46 PM »
I guess my first thought here is I don't see what the problem is.  :)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 06:49:06 PM »
It doesn't have to be their scheme for them to benefit from it.

And police "benefit" from high crime rates.  And welfare system workers "benefit" from poverty. And...and...and...

I just don't buy the fact that Prop. 200 was contrived by the prison lobby and much less that it's even relevant to whether stopping illegal immigration is the right thing to do.  This charge is just another head-fake.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 12:36:26 AM »
The trouble is that private prisons have led to high numbers of illegal convictions.  I don't have a cite, but a local (very conservative) juvenile court judge shared a bunch of material about a major scandal in Pennsylvania where a whole bunch of kids were improperly "adjudicated"

When the rights of a large group of people are limited by statute, they become substantially more vulnerable to abuse by the system. When the system has a strong profit motive for imprisoning more people, well, you tend to get people unjustly imprisoned.

I'm not against for-profit prisons or lobbying by them, but it is important to recognize the potential problems and to have excellent oversight and review systems in place.  I don't know enough about the law or AZ state gov't to know if that is in place.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 12:51:14 AM »
http://articles.cnn.com/2009-02-23/justice/pennsylvania.corrupt.judges_1_detention-judges-number-of-juvenile-offenders?_s=PM:CRIME

theres your cite  i'd like to give those judges about 15 mins inside the facility after lights out for the boys to counsel them

the 2 judges got 2.6 mill from the private company   thats a lota cash the company must be raking it in
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 12:57:49 AM »
The profit motive is one we must be careful when injecting into the justice system.

Private folks contracted out to run a prison is not that big a deal to me.  They had to break the law and bribe thsoe two judges.  Both briber and bribee need a time-out in the pokey.

Asset forfeiture, OTOH, is also abused but is "legal." 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton