Author Topic: Why can't I get into a TV or a movie?  (Read 768 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Why can't I get into a TV or a movie?
« on: June 06, 2022, 07:38:57 PM »
It seems like I get interested for a little while, and then...

RIght now I am trying to watch Stranger Things - I'm about halfway through the second episode, and I'm wanting to throw projectiles at the screen.

About all I can really deal with are action comedies where everything blows up real good...

I used to really dig doing movie nights, etc... Probably have a few hundred DVDs...
Blog under construction

Pb

• friend
Re: Why can't I get into a TV or a movie?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2022, 07:55:30 PM »
Maybe it isn't very good, and you should turn it off?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2022, 09:11:22 PM »
I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe it's time to read more books, or take up whittling.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2022, 09:48:04 PM »

You could pull a Presley.  That should be fun.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2022, 09:52:47 PM »
I gave up on TV 15-20 years ago.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2022, 10:21:14 PM »
Get a Roku.  Watch old reruns of The Outer Limits. (it's free on the Roku Channel)
"It's good, though..."

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2022, 10:23:13 PM »
Gunsmoke and Farscape reruns it is!

Most new stuff is trash anyways.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2022, 10:50:56 PM »
Watch Yellowstone, and 1883.  Good TV right there.

Watch Northman, and Everything Everywhere All At Once.  Good movies right there.

Then stop for awhile, read a book or learn something new or build something.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2022, 10:59:22 PM »
I gave up on TV 15-20 years ago.

What caliber?
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2022, 08:39:02 AM »
Regular TV is getting worse.

They even brought The Orville back last week, but not on broadcast or cable tv, but on a pay streaming service (HULU+) . . . eff that.

I'm really having a hard time with keeping cable with its rising prices and reduced value content . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2022, 08:39:40 AM »
Started watching Billions on Showtime.  So far it’s been pretty good

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2022, 08:52:39 AM »

They even brought The Orville back last week, but not on broadcast or cable tv, but on a pay streaming service (HULU+) . . . eff that.

I'm really having a hard time with keeping cable with its rising prices and reduced value content . . .

Yeah, I thought The Orville was okay, and was watching it, but it's not worth paying for yet another service to continue watching it.

I've heard Billions and Succession are both pretty good. My Nephew in law hooked me up on his HBO Max, so I might check out Succession.

I was going to rewatch The Last Ship, which was a great show, via Netflix DVD, but the DVDs sat in my queue with "long wait time" and then disappeared as available.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2022, 08:55:04 AM »
I haven't watched TV in close to 30 years, in part because my attention span is short, but mostly because there is only 30 seconds of content stretched out to 30 minutes or more.  Same with most movies in the last 20 years.  I don't want to be patronized by tasteless commercials, or trivialized by what passes for comedy these days.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2022, 09:28:58 AM »
I haven't watched TV in close to 30 years, in part because my attention span is short, but mostly because there is only 30 seconds of content stretched out to 30 minutes or more.  Same with most movies in the last 20 years.  I don't want to be patronized by tasteless commercials, or trivialized by what passes for comedy these days.
I DO have DVR service with my cable - there are a lot of old, classic movies that I DVR and then watch at my leisure, running through the commercials at 30x or so speed. Since some of the movies are in HD, I'm trying to figure out an easy way of transferring them to my PC, editing out the commercials, and burning them to BluRay.

Oh, and I see Lawrence of Arabia is now available in this country in 4K. The feedback on the Sony version from overseas has been positive - it was supposedly made from the original film and scanned in at 8k to preserve maximum detail. (Somewhere in the movie, there's supposed to be one frame where someone put a fingerprint on the film - which shows up in the 4k version.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2022, 09:34:22 AM »

Cable/Satellite TV is already dead IMO.  Anyone who has access to a good internet connection has much better options for less money (in total).  If you remove cable, you can sign up for 2 or 3 streaming services for less money and have all sorts of shows and movies to watch on demand.  I hear people say some of those services may add commercials, but we will see. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2022, 09:37:17 AM »
I DO have DVR service with my cable - there are a lot of old, classic movies that I DVR and then watch at my leisure, running through the commercials at 30x or so speed. Since some of the movies are in HD, I'm trying to figure out an easy way of transferring them to my PC, editing out the commercials, and burning them to BluRay.

Oh, and I see Lawrence of Arabia is now available in this country in 4K. The feedback on the Sony version from overseas has been positive - it was supposedly made from the original film and scanned in at 8k to preserve maximum detail. (Somewhere in the movie, there's supposed to be one frame where someone put a fingerprint on the film - which shows up in the 4k version.)
Everyone has their preference, I think it would be better to make a list and acquire physical copies over time rather than waste time copying and editing out commercials.  A lot of those DVD's allow you to download a digital copy if you want. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2022, 09:58:13 AM »
Everyone has their preference, I think it would be better to make a list and acquire physical copies over time rather than waste time copying and editing out commercials.  A lot of those DVD's allow you to download a digital copy if you want.

The digital copy is DRM'ed though.  If you put the movie on one laptop, when that laptop dies or you retire it in favor of another device, the media won't play back on the new computer.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2022, 10:02:25 AM »
I just bootleg my movies straight from the theater.

https://youtu.be/3GAv2gnAXaI?t=29
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2022, 10:19:19 AM »
I just bootleg my movies straight from the theater.

https://youtu.be/3GAv2gnAXaI?t=29
Funny story - that's how I first saw Jurrasic Park. In 1994, I was on safari in Zambia, and spent a few days in Lusaka at my PH's home. One day we went to a video rental store and he rented the movie - a bootleg copy on VHS. Someone had obviously filmed it with a video camera in the theater. Quality wasn't the greatest, but it was very watchable.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2022, 01:18:16 PM »
Funny story - that's how I first saw Jurrasic Park. In 1994, I was on safari in Zambia, and spent a few days in Lusaka at my PH's home. One day we went to a video rental store and he rented the movie - a bootleg copy on VHS. Someone had obviously filmed it with a video camera in the theater. Quality wasn't the greatest, but it was very watchable.

Since that came right after the Seinfeld reference, I at first thought you were channeling J. Peterman.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2022, 01:19:05 PM »
Since that came right after the Seinfeld reference, I at first thought you were channeling J. Peterman.

:rofl: