Author Topic: Thinking about a beretta carbine  (Read 1633 times)

Stand_watie

• friend
Thinking about a beretta carbine
« on: July 10, 2015, 12:25:35 PM »
Cx4. Any here have/like/hate? Any other thoughts? What is .40 cal vs. 9mm availability these days?
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

HankB

• friend
Re: Thinking about a beretta carbine
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 01:12:54 PM »
Don't have one myself, but the ones I've held seem to handle nicely, and the reliability of those I've seen on the range appeared to be fine.

A few thoughts . . .

* They're set up to use different magazines - for example in 9mmP, you'll have to decide whether you want to use PX4, 92, or 8000 series mags. (I think adapters are available.)

* In 9mmP, the last time I paged through a manual they recommended against extensive use of +P or +P+ ammo, and they warned against any use of "submachinegun" ammo.

* Not as big a selection of after-market accessories as on AR-pattern rifles, probably because it's an import.

I suspect it would make a nice suppressed SBR once you jumped through the appropriate hoops to do so legally . . . I personally would go for a 9mm because of the better availability of quality mags holding up to 30 rounds.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 04:17:30 PM »
I shot one in 9mm.  Used the M-9/92 magazines.  Function was fine.  Fun to shoot.  Kind of like a dressed up 10/22 with a bit more recoil.  If you're thinking defense and fun gun, I'd recommend 9mm over .40, because of ammo expense. 
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 07:26:18 PM »
Great gun.  Light, handy, almost no recoil.  Very easy to shoot accurately.  We've routinely handed it to new shooters and had them shoot it really well.  It isn't quite the Swiss Army gun that an AR is but it is one of my favorites.  I strongly recommend one if you are at all interested.

I'm not sure about PX4 and 8000 mags but I would also go for 92 mags for the availability of larger mags and just mags in general.  I also second the recommendation for 9mm.  There is no reason not to and dying a little inside every time you pay an extra couple of bucks for a box of ammunition for the rest of your life gets old after a while.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 07:46:08 PM »
As far as 9 vs 40, I am seeing 9mm cases at the $200 level if you aren't picky on the brand.  I don't see 40 caliber on sale as much.  I have a Keltec sub2000 in 40.  It does have noticeable recoil, but that carbine light compared to the Beretta.  I would expect the 9mm to have very little if any recoil, but the 40 will still have some.

The one Beretta carbine I handled at a shop once felt very solid.  Never shot one.  The price was higher than I wanted to consider and I don't have a 92 pistol.  I already have Glock mags in 9mm and 40 so I would lean to carbines using those mags.

Just to throw it out there, Keltec is supposedly putting out a revision of the sub2000 that has railed hand guards and a metal AR style front sight.  Both are bit improvements on the one I have.  I haven't seen one for sale yet though. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 08:09:04 PM »
As far as 9 vs 40, I am seeing 9mm cases at the $200 level if you aren't picky on the brand.  I don't see 40 caliber on sale as much.  I have a Keltec sub2000 in 40.  It does have noticeable recoil, but that carbine light compared to the Beretta.  I would expect the 9mm to have very little if any recoil, but the 40 will still have some.

The one Beretta carbine I handled at a shop once felt very solid.  Never shot one.  The price was higher than I wanted to consider and I don't have a 92 pistol.  I already have Glock mags in 9mm and 40 so I would lean to carbines using those mags.

Just to throw it out there, Keltec is supposedly putting out a revision of the sub2000 that has railed hand guards and a metal AR style front sight.  Both are bit improvements on the one I have.  I haven't seen one for sale yet though. 

I'm holding out for an RFB from keltec. I kind of fell in love with that star wars style though when my buddy got an FN carbine. Thought I ought to get at least one more evil black gun before the Hillary gun control rush pushes prices up though.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 09:15:00 PM »
Every Beretta product I have used has been a quality bit of kit.  Only Beretta I ever bought was a M21A bitty .22LR pistol.  Sadly, they make nothing else really want. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 09:37:40 PM »
I'm holding out for an RFB from keltec. I kind of fell in love with that star wars style though when my buddy got an FN carbine. Thought I ought to get at least one more evil black gun before the Hillary gun control rush pushes prices up though.

I was lusting after an RFB for a while and gave up looking.  I got a Springfield SOCOM instead and it is a great rifle and very handy and well balanced. 

I have heard really, really good things about the FN SCAR.  I haven't heard great things about the RFB.  I think I would go for the SCAR if I was going to spend that money.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 10:12:24 PM »
Every Beretta product I have used has been a quality bit of kit.  Only Beretta I ever bought was a M21A bitty .22LR pistol.  Sadly, they make nothing else really want. 

I have one of those. Love it. Would like to get a tomcat to match it. Only Beretta for me also. Would like to see them make right up to .45 in matching style, but I don't even know if that's even technically feasible.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2015, 10:51:41 AM »
Solid little guns.

Trigger is underwhelming. There is an all metal trigger group to replace those parts. http://sierrapapacx4.com/ has a lot of CX4 upgrades.

Barrel can be threaded, but comes from the factory unthreaded and no muzzle device.

For me the ergonomics were a little awkward. I strongly considered getting one but decided to build a 9mm AR instead. Mine will look somewhat like this when I get done.

If you have a Beretta product and already have mags the CX4 is not a bad choice. If you don't have such then there are some decent options out there that do not involve the names "Kel-Tec" or "Hi Point" that you might want to look into besides the CX4.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2015, 12:55:58 PM »
I forgot to add that because they have a straight blowback action CX4s are super easy to clean.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2015, 04:20:14 PM »
Every Beretta product I have used has been a quality bit of kit. 

Momma Mia this.
I have the pleasure of owning PB handguns and shotguns, and cannot force a ftf.
If I were in the market for any platform, and Beretta made it, they would be my first choice.

Some pledge their allegience to JMB,  others Hiel Gaston,  I genuflect before the alter of the most heavenly Pietro.
7-11 was a part time job.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2015, 06:45:40 AM »
I'm fond of Berettas as well.  My 92FS and every M9 I've ever fired have been boring reliable. My former PX4 and current 8045 are also excellent pistols.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!