Author Topic: Tell me this gun is impractical, 'cause otherwise I want it.  (Read 6877 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9KxxksIcag

Good god, that's a muzzleflash. I think the ejected cases could kill someone, too.

Price: $949.99 

Vector Arms built semi-auto version of the famous HK-51 machine gun. All internal parts of the V-51 are either original HK German, or made in the U.S.A. as required, to exact HK-51 specs. This version features a plastic Navy lower trigger housing, original German paddle mag release.

Specifications:
V-51 Specs: Caliber:.308 NATO
Operating Principle: delayed roller lock
Feed Device: 25 or 40 round mag
Rifling: 1:7 6 grooves right hand twist

The Annoyed Man

Re: Tell me this gun is impractical, 'cause otherwise I want it.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 06:13:55 PM »
Like kids and large dogs: easily acquired, but then you must FEED them. grin

Who needs to justify material lust?

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 06:15:57 PM »
Like kids and large dogs: easily acquired, but then you must FEED them. grin

Who needs to justify material lust?

At least the mags are cheap?

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 06:31:21 PM »
I should try to dig up blueprints for the HK-51.  I bet the sheetmetal dies for stamping the receiver would *suck* to build, but I'd like to build a few of these!  grin

On a related note, my EDM based home rifling machine plans are nearing completion.  Rifling has always been hard for DIY gun building, but I think this EDM machine is a step in the right direction - by eliminating cutting forces, it should be possible to machine very accurate barrels in a home shop - it would just be time consuming.

The HK-51 is pretty awesome.  I'd also like to get an MP5 clone, semi-only.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 06:34:24 PM »
Oh, and it *is* impractical.  You planning on making any major assaults in close-quarters combat situations?

grin

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 07:22:08 PM »
Dunno about impractical.  We've got a shop-wide order for the new HK GSG-5 rimfire MP5 clones, with at least four of my guys buying one. 

Didn't appeal to me, but little in the HK world does, save for maybe the 416 uppers.   undecided
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 07:31:38 PM »
Dunno about impractical.  We've got a shop-wide order for the new HK GSG-5 rimfire MP5 clones, with at least four of my guys buying one. 

Didn't appeal to me, but little in the HK world does, save for maybe the 416 uppers.   undecided

I find the ergonomics of the HK-91 rifles and their clones to be atrocious, (especially compared to the armchair-comfy FAL!) but I do like the little MP5 platform okay. My left hand hurts almost immediately with the positioning on the rifles, but I'd tried an MP5K and was able to easily dance hanging bowling pins at 25 yards with bursts and sustained fire.

Then there was the grey plastic SL-8, which I looked at and thought..."Nerf?"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 07:44:55 PM »
Muzzleflash is far less than what I would have thought.

Very VERY practical gun.

I think you should buy two.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 07:45:48 PM »
Muzzleflash is far less than what I would have thought.

Very VERY practical gun.

I think you should buy two.

grin

Yeah, I'll just do akimbo, one in each hand...sure the RO would love that.

The volume level of the screamed CEASE FIRE!!!!! would probably approach the time when someone who brought in a full-auto was busily destroying the ceiling baffles instead of the target. cheesy

Finch

• Fading Freedoms
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2008, 09:46:13 PM »
Oh, and it *is* impractical.  You planning on making any major assaults in close-quarters combat situations?

......maybe...... cool
Truth is treason in the empire of lies - Ron Paul

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 04:04:18 AM »

The HK-51 is pretty awesome.  I'd also like to get an MP5 clone, semi-only.

I'll second the MP-5 semi....a supressed version would make an ideal home-defense carbine for my wife and other recoil-sensitive types....

!!!!!REPEAL '34 AND '68 AND ALL THE REST!!!!!
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2008, 04:25:33 AM »
At the Hiram Maxim Machine Gun Shoot in 1998, I had the distinct pleasure of standing behind a gentleman firing a bona-fide H&K 51, modified for belt feeding.  He ripped off a 50-round belt and it sounded like The End of the WorldTM.  I instantly decided that it should be the preferred weapon for dealing with Xenomorphs.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2008, 06:49:57 AM »
I remember reading on thr that Vectors were terrible...I think....
do more research first.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2008, 07:01:28 AM »
I figure you would want it becaust it is impractical.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2008, 08:16:59 AM »
Hey G'98-
Just out of curiosity, what're those GSG-5's going for, anyway?
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2008, 09:53:36 AM »
What does practicality have to do with material lust, anyway?
Get the darn thing and enjoy!
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2008, 10:11:15 AM »
What does practicality have to do with material lust, anyway?
Get the darn thing and enjoy!

I'd noticed that Impact will sell them 90-day layaway. If they ever get stuff in stock. I just figure this sort of thing would be a NO if there's a (shudder) President Obama.

I also sort of like the idea of a "hits like a ton of bricks" defensive pistol for a disaster or civil disorder problem. If it works, and if it can be controlled. Overpenetration, though...blah. And blinding muzzleflash ruining night vision. Does seem more like a range toy, perhaps.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2008, 10:16:49 AM »
You'll love it until you have to shoot one. grin

If Knob Creek ever comes up from under water, meander on down to the rental range and have at it.  Report back, I'm expecting a change in your lust. laugh

*Oh, that silly thing is only Title I.  Here's the real deal:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EzSL-WzleE&feature=related
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2008, 10:21:24 AM »
You'll love it until you have to shoot one. grin

If Knob Creek ever comes up from under water, meander on down to the rental range and have at it.  Report back, I'm expecting a change in your lust. laugh

Oh, I like recoil. In everything but the aforementioned HK-91's with the retracting stock, which is like being punched in the shoulder with a coathanger. It's like the designers were sadistic.

I regularly play with a Taurus Judge fired one-handed, and my 16" Saiga .308's muzzleblast is pretty dramatic, even.  smiley

And no, I would NOT want to try to control a full-auto .308 pistol, thanks! The MP5 I tried was easy to keep in line, but a Thompson (no Cutts) wanted to climb on me, it took me a few bursts to anticipate and keep it down. I can only imagine what a .308 would do.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2008, 10:35:57 AM »
Oh, I like recoil. In everything but the aforementioned HK-91's with the retracting stock, which is like being punched in the shoulder with a coathanger. It's like the designers were sadistic.

Cool.  I'll let you be the evaluator for my .45-70 AK/Saiga project when it wraps up.  Wink
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2008, 10:39:17 AM »

Cool.  I'll let you be the evaluator for my .45-70 AK/Saiga project when it wraps up.  Wink

I want one, if someone can do it. grin I'd been following Tromix's .444 Marlin/Saiga .410 project and the problem they had with lack of feeding after the first few rounds.

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2008, 11:11:58 AM »
I've always found that you really can't tell if it's impractical until after you buy it.  Even then, you really can't tell if it's impractical until you have occasion to use it for its intended purpose.  An Erlenmeyer flask is a very practical item some places, and not so much in others.  I'd go ahead and buy it.
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2008, 12:32:23 PM »
As usual, I want one! That's the clone of the civilan version of the G3 rifle right?
Looks like fun, which is why I'll never have one here! angry

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2008, 12:59:54 PM »
Viking, well the one Manewolf has in his post is fully automatic pistol.

But, yeah, they took a clone of the G3 in semi-auto only and ripped the stock off and shortened the barrel.  That way it fits the legal definition of a handgun and every Walter Mitty's definition of a cool gun.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2008, 01:06:01 PM »
Viking, well the one Manewolf has in his post is fully automatic pistol.

But, yeah, they took a clone of the G3 in semi-auto only and ripped the stock off and shortened the barrel.  That way it fits the legal definition of a handgun and every Walter Mitty's definition of a cool gun.
And it's a pain in the ass to get one here angry. Can't let the commoners protect themselves effeciently angry. Would've made an awesome home defense gun for me, considering I have concrete walls in all directions (atleast I think so), and a free line of fire out my apartment door...
Guess I'll have to get a couple of swords and machetes...