Author Topic: Ten Things Not to Buy in 2010  (Read 5177 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Ten Things Not to Buy in 2010
« on: January 29, 2010, 12:48:52 PM »
Recognizing that these things are generally not all that well researched by their authors, I read this one anyway, and just for kicks, want to see what you all think of the predictions found here:

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/SavingandDebt/ConsumerActionGuide/10-things-not-to-buy-in-2010.aspx?GT1=33010

For me, going down the list:

I can see DVDs going to some other format, but I don't want to rely on an Internet connection for my all my movies. There are some that I really like, that I want to "physically own" whether it's on a DVD or simply stored on a local hard drive.

I can see landlines becoming rarer. I've started wondering why I still keep mine. I've mostly kept it for faxing, because some people I fax to and from can't get with the e-doc scene. But at some point it should be up to them to get with the program instead of me supporting their luddite-ness.

I don't see external hard drives (or their equivalent future local storage media) going away. I don't trust leaving all my backups on the Internet. Though I believe places like Carbonite are safe, I again don't want to rely on an Internet connection as the main fail point for immediate access to my important data. As much of a hassle as it is, I prefer to back up to portable media and store in multiple physical locations.

I don't really do smart phone stuff much, so no comment.

I can't see compact digital cameras going away soon. Though I like the features of the bigger cameras, sometimes I just want something I can put in my pocket, and I still haven't seen a phone-cam that pops out high quality 10meg images like my Elph.

Newspapers I can see dying.

CDs I can see dying.

No knowledge on the current textbook scene.

I like my truck and my 4X4.

I can't see making energy efficiency the #1 criteria in purchasing home appliances for most people. Not that it doesn't count, but I look at features and ability for the appliance to do what I want first. If it uses more juice, so be it.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Ten Things Not to Buy in 2010
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 12:59:26 PM »
The link:

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/SavingandDebt/ConsumerActionGuide/10-things-not-to-buy-in-2010.aspx?GT1=33010

Microsoft.

Smart-phone also-rans
In the past few years, several smart phones have hit the market with features similar to the iPhone and BlackBerry, but they haven't generated the same buzz.

As a result, fewer developers are likely to create applications and other products that cater to those phones.

Today, the BlackBerry dominates the smart-phone market with 40% market share, followed by the iPhone with 25%, according to data released by comScore in December. In the near term, both are expected to stay at the top. ComScore found that most consumers who will be shopping for a smart phone in the next three months plan to purchase a BlackBerry (51%) or an iPhone (20%).

By contrast, only 5% of respondents said they planned to purchase T-Mobile's MyTouch. The Palm Pre and Palm Centro received 2% and 1% of the vote, respectively.

No mention of Google's open-source Android.  At all.  Frankly, given it's marketing campaign and strength of showing in the marketplace over the last 2 months, I expect it to put an absolute biotch-slap down on the iPhone since mac-haters like me would never touch an Apple product, but don't want the Franklin-Covey nature of the Crackberries.  I WANT a droid-phone and as soon as my contract is up, I'm gettin' one.

New college textbooks
Unless a student absolutely needs brand-new textbooks, she can use several alternatives to save.

Shop for used textbooks, which can help you save 70% to 90% off the retail price, says Mike Gatti, the executive director at the Retail Advertising and Marketing Association, a trade group. Check out Web sites like CheapestTextbooks.com, BooksPrice or Amazon. Many college bookstores also sell used texts.

Another option is downloading books online. Sites like CourseSmart sell subscriptions to digital copies of more than 7,000 textbooks. TextbookMedia allows students to download textbooks for free. You can also rent textbooks on Chegg.

Nah.

I wrote in my college books.  I doubt I'm alone.  I liked flipping through them, not necessarily looking for a page number, but more for my own notes on something.

E-books don't work for that. 
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 01:13:57 PM »
The link:

Microsoft.

No mention of Google's open-source Android.  At all.  Frankly, given it's marketing campaign and strength of showing in the marketplace over the last 2 months, I expect it to put an absolute biotch-slap down on the iPhone since mac-haters like me would never touch an Apple product, but don't want the Franklin-Covey nature of the Crackberries.  I WANT a droid-phone and as soon as my contract is up, I'm gettin' one.

Nah.

I wrote in my college books.  I doubt I'm alone.  I liked flipping through them, not necessarily looking for a page number, but more for my own notes on something.

E-books don't work for that.  

For the money, I'd just as soon get a netbook, but the Amazon kindle has great tagging/bookmarking/note-taking abilities.  And unlike highlighting and margin scrawl, you can search your own notes, export them etc...

I'm always glad when Apple comes up with a new formfactor/product. Then I know I can just wait a year or two and reap the benefits of third party competition with more open-source involvment. The iPhone paved the way for the droid and other all-screen smartphones and accelerometer controls.

The new iPad, if it takes off will mean we have some really nice stuff from Dell/Lenovo/Acer around 2012.

Mainly what I see as being the penultamate device will be a netbook that can twist/fold into a tablet, is NOT Apple/proprietary, and also has an alterante e-ink "bookreader" mode on one side of the screen for low-power text consumption/web browsing. And an OLED screen for full blown computing. Add WiFi and cellular communication, and you're good to go...
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 01:19:14 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 01:21:42 PM »
Amazon kindle

And the back-door access by Amazon to delete stuff on it.

Bleh.  I'm old fashioned.  I'll stick with paper.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 01:31:05 PM »
A while back I loaned a couple cd's to a friend, then immediately wanted to listen to one of them. Didn't have a digital backup, and can't find studio versions of the album on the net (not easily anyway). So he returns them and I'm stoked, until I realize I have no easy way to play it. Netbook has no drive, wife's laptop has crap speakers and I don't want to sit at it with headphones, desktop is buried behind a bunch of boxes of stuff to sell etc. Made me realize how rarely I use cd's outside of the car.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 03:14:03 PM »
I dumped my landline a year ago and last used it in a significant manner about 5 years ago (not including the DSL signal that traveled over the same copper line).  My day to day phone is a cellphone.  I don't expect that to change for a long time.

As for DVDs, I may switch to BluRay at some point, but I'm not moving off of physical media for movies for some time.  I'm waffling on CDs.  I've been purchasing more and more albums as MP3 downloads, but I'm still slightly uneasy with not having a physical disk (yeah, I know I can burn my own).

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 03:23:39 PM »
I WANT a droid-phone and as soon as my contract is up, I'm gettin' one.

I wanted one too, but VZ wouldn't sell one without a data contract, which I didn't want.  Are there any plans for an Android PDA, or an Android competitor to the iTouch.

Chris

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 03:23:56 PM »
And the back-door access by Amazon to delete stuff on it.

Bleh.  I'm old fashioned.  I'll stick with paper.

I'll stick with paper and cash when it comes to my book purchases whenever I can do so.  If Amazon can delete stuff, I'd be willing to bet they could also track usage.  When you read it, how many times, how long you spent reading it, etc.   Plenty of publishers would probably gladly pay a couple bucks for that kind of feedback.  Even if they do not do so, what stops them from doing so in the future.

Screw that.  The only ebooks I buy are from Webscription.  DRM-free and no possibility of spying on you when you're not using their site.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 03:58:48 PM »
Land line phone service over copper pairs will be around for a long time to come. Outside of large metro areas that is what people will be using for at least the next decade. In the semi-rural area I live and work in we still don't get reliable wireless data coverage from any carrier.
As the population grows we are going to run into problems with the available RF spectrum to keep adding cellular/wireless devices, there is only so much bandwidth available.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 04:03:55 PM »
Given how cheap flash drives are getting, I almost wonder why you don't see music being sold on small ROM USB flash drives.  I'm sure they could make the files big enough to retain quality or use another format.

I haven't see it, but I wonder why you don't see software on flash drives instead of CD's.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 04:05:53 PM »
Also, there were some people around here buying more fuel efficient cars, but I don't see any big trend.  Guys down here still like their trucks.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 04:42:12 PM »
I'm keeping my phone line because my cellphone doesn't work in my house.  Sometimes it will work in my front yard, other time you have to wander halfway down the block.  Thank you, ATT.  It will be turned into a business line pretty quickly though, and then we may find a more reliable cell service for personal calling.  Can't really see running a business on cellphones though, not without vastly improved reliability over what we have now.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 05:10:59 PM »
Let's go down their list.

DVD's are $20?  Not really.  Not if you're patient.  I rarely pay more than $12 for a DVD.  I like having them.  As long as I can buy devices that will play 12cm optical disks I can probably keep playing these movies.  Who's to say that in a few years I'll still be able to rent online? Also, I can take the DVD to a friend's house for a gathering.  Can't do that with a streamed movie. There's nothing wrong with Netflix or streaming videos, but buying DVD's still has a place.

Land lines.  I still have one, but the only thing it's used for is my alarm system.  I'm seriously thinking of dumping the monitoring or going for their wireless monitoring service.  It costs more, but still less than the land line.  I assume DSL isn't considered a land line for this purpose.

External hard drives will be around a while.  I have a bunch of stuff on them.  As for reliability, if something is really important I put it on more than one drive.  Or buy one of the external HDD units that's a self-contained RAID-1.  Disk space is dirt cheap.  Those services aren't.

Okay, I admit the digital camera in my cell phone is actually not bad for what it is, but those compact digicams are pretty darn handy.  Are they as good as the larger units?  No.  In the same way that a tiny gun isn't as good as a nice heavy full-sized handgun.  Still, which are you more likely to have with you?

So my choice of smart phone is iPhone or Blackberry?  Nah.  I have nothing against the iPhone, but I would like to try a good Android phone. Right now I have a Palm Pre which I got for very little money and it's really nice.  Does it have the 1000's of apps the others do?  No.  Does it do what I need?  Absolutely.  When my plan is up in mid-2011 I'll see what the world of phones looks like then.

I'll agree on newspapers.  I get most of my news online now.  I can sit and browse news on my Pre while I ride the bus to work.

I still buy a few CD's.  I guess I'm weird.

I can see the appeal of electronic textbooks.  Problem is there is an entrenched system that makes a lot of money off of physical textbooks.  They aren't going to walk away without a fight.

Autos ... it depends.  I like to save $ as much as the next guy, but I like a comfortable car too.  I compromise.  I have a mid-range car and I take the bus to work.

Energy efficient appliances are a good thing.  As i replace mine I'm buying better ones.  But I'm not going out of my way to buy new ones.

"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 05:17:42 PM »
Around here, Wal-Mart, Target and the supermarkets have scads of DVDs for five or ten dollars a piece.  And not just straight-to-video reject films, either.  Naturally, they don't have the same selection as you'll find online, or at Best Buy. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 05:18:15 PM »
I wanted one too, but VZ wouldn't sell one without a data contract, which I didn't want.  Are there any plans for an Android PDA, or an Android competitor to the iTouch.

Chris

Quitcher whining.  ;)

Sprint doesn't even offer a Droid phone.  :'(  If they did, I'd get one, pronto.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

brimic

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2010, 05:50:47 PM »
CDs:  I installed a new receiver/home entertainment system last week and noticed that we still have a 100 CD changer that I bought 10 years ago. What  dinosaur, the IPOD holds infinitely more music, takes up a tiny fraction of the space, is portable,  and is a lot easier to use. The onlything good about CDs is that the sound is still much better than I can download from Itunes.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2010, 06:17:57 PM »
CDs:  I installed a new receiver/home entertainment system last week and noticed that we still have a 100 CD changer that I bought 10 years ago. What  dinosaur, the IPOD holds infinitely more music, takes up a tiny fraction of the space, is portable,  and is a lot easier to use. The onlything good about CDs is that the sound is still much better than I can download from Itunes.
Agreed on quality.  Until that is resolved, CD's will still have a place.  I think they could still put the same type files as a base music CD on a flash drive.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2010, 06:22:12 PM »
Electronic textbooks won't take the place of printed textbooks for a while now.

While I am not thrilled with paying for my textbooks, having them available to use without staring at an electronic screen and being able to flip back and forth makes me happier. Of course, many of my issues with electronic books/documents/textbooks could probably be eliminated with a bit of common sense in creating the electronic versions (many such things are poorly done and are not fun to use. I'm sure ya'll have noticed this). For example, with a mouseclick I should be able to pull up a full index and click on any index entry to be taken instantly to that page. Now, I have to figure out which PDF page the page is actually own and navigate to it, it's an annoyance to me.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2010, 06:23:45 PM »
I'm keeping my phone line because my cellphone doesn't work in my house.  Sometimes it will work in my front yard, other time you have to wander halfway down the block.  Thank you, ATT.  It will be turned into a business line pretty quickly though, and then we may find a more reliable cell service for personal calling.  Can't really see running a business on cellphones though, not without vastly improved reliability over what we have now.
A couple points:
1.  When Hurricane Ike hit near hear a couple years ago, the power was out, cell phones were spotty, and most people had to charge them in their cars.  My land line phone still worked.  Most of the lines are underground here and the system is pretty reliable.  I probably need to cut some of the options I'm paying for, but I'll keep it.

2.  Recently, the cell coverage in the immediate area around work dropped out.  I could not make a call out.  I would get a message saying I had a voice mail but no call.  It took a week or more before it was fixed.  That would suck if that happened at home or when I needed family members to get in touch with me.

I realize similar issues can happen with land lines.  Work pays for my phone anyway, so I have little room to complain.  :)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2010, 06:26:44 PM »
Electronic textbooks won't take the place of printed textbooks for a while now.

While I am not thrilled with paying for my textbooks, having them available to use without staring at an electronic screen and being able to flip back and forth makes me happier. Of course, many of my issues with electronic books/documents/textbooks could probably be eliminated with a bit of common sense in creating the electronic versions (many such things are poorly done and are not fun to use. I'm sure ya'll have noticed this). For example, with a mouseclick I should be able to pull up a full index and click on any index entry to be taken instantly to that page. Now, I have to figure out which PDF page the page is actually own and navigate to it, it's an annoyance to me.

I still keep several of my engineering text books on the shelf at work.  I use them for reference occasionally.  If I had an electronic version back when I got out of school, there is no guarantee it would still function on computers today.  I wish I still had my history text books from college.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2010, 08:09:39 PM »
As long as students enroll at the last minute, new textbooks will always have a place. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

crt360

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2010, 08:37:26 PM »

I think they could still put the same type files as a base music CD on a flash drive.

They do have albums out on MicroSD cards.  It's called something like Slotmusic.  I've seen it in a local Wal-mart for at least the last 6 months, maybe a year.

I've got a couple of mp3 players and I listen to mp3/wma files on my car stereo and PCs, but I still like having a library of original CDs.
For entertainment purposes only.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2010, 09:50:51 PM »
CD's - first off, as a media rat, i want them. i have a couple album downloads, and while its kinda neat, two will be rebought on cd as i like the albums and thus would like a physical copy with the album insert in the cd. you don't seem to get all that with all your downloads (lyrics, thank yous, band notes, write ups and art are as important to me as the songs themselves) using it to download a song or two from a random artist is one thing, but i will never buy entire albums downloads again.

DVD's- i like to share movies. me and dad have a large collection. and we often loan them out. and, same as the CD's, i want a physical copy to have, with the art/cover/notes, even if DVD's are less involved then the CD's.

textbooks or, any book, for that matter - if i wanna read something on a computer screen, i'll read whatever i find on the interwebs. if i want to read a good book, i want it on paper. i like the feel and smell of a book, be it old or new, paperback or hardcover. as for textbooks, i like haveing something i can pick up and flip through. i never sold any of my textbooks back from college, and even still have a few HS textbooks that i forgot to give back. if i need referance, i go in my room and look on the shelves, and i can find two or three likely canidates to have the info i want all at once. also, while in college and even now, i will have two or three texts open at once and spread out in front of me, using all at the same time. with an e-book i wouldn't be able to have that. i would have to stop and do something to have the pages and books flip to the right info.

smartphones- ok, thats one i could go for.

landlines- ha! i'm still in the dark ages up here. i'm using it right now, as i still have dialup and dad doesn't have a cell phone. even if he had one and i had some other form to get on the internet, we would still have the landline. it don't go out with the power, and cell service can be spotty up here.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

zahc

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2010, 09:56:00 PM »
CDs I can see dying.
Me too. I'm a media rat too, but when I feel like owning an album, I buy the vinyl. No point in buying a cheap plastic disc, in a cheap plastic case with postage-stamp art, ripping it, and sticking it on the shelf. There are better delivery methods for digital music. I may as well stick a real record on the shelf; most of them come with free mp3 downloads nowadays. Of course not everything ever is available on vinyl. I was reading on an audio forum about a high-end audio equipment manufacturer which is discontinuing all its CD players, declaring the format dead. It still offers turntables though.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2010, 11:16:59 PM »
I will have a landline as long as it is necessary for faxing.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.