Author Topic: Telling a real diamond from a fake?  (Read 9068 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Telling a real diamond from a fake?
« on: December 24, 2011, 07:11:29 PM »
I happened to notice something shiny on the ground today as I left the gym. I looked closer, and it appeared to be a diamond, fake or real. If real, it's 1 carat or a bit bigger.

Anyway, I looked online to find out how to tell if it's real or fake. It passed the "breath fogging" test. It seems to pass the "not being able to read through it" test. It scratches glass.

It doesn't have rainbow patterns in the reflections, but some of the glints off the facets sometimes show a little color.

I'd feel like a fool taking a fake to a jewelry store, so I'm wondering if you have any other ideas or suggestions on telling real from fake.

Thanks for any replies.

Regolith

• friend
Re: Telling a real diamond from a fake?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 07:20:12 PM »
Was it set in jewelry or just lying around? Is it cut?

If not cut and just laying around, it's probably quartz. A picture would be helpful.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 07:25:15 PM »
Obviously, it's a gym stone  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 07:26:24 PM »
Assuming you mean a piece of jewelry and not a natural stone, are you playing "finders keepers," or are you going to try to find the owner?

A somewhat vague "found" notice -- "Found, a woman's ring near xyz" -- might be a start.
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 07:27:10 PM »
Obviously, it's a gym stone  ;)

:facepalm:   :lol:

You could also heat it to 1750 degrees. If it melts it's not a diamond.  ;)

Strike that. A diamond won't melt at that temperature, but it WILL start transforming into graphite...:(
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 07:30:29 PM by Regolith »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 07:32:05 PM »
It's cut. The underside is faceted, but comes to a point at the bottom for being set in a ring or whatever.

If it's real, I'll put up a vague notice ("found: piece of jewelry") at the gym.

Looking at it now I can see some glints of color off of a coupe of facets. Most of the glints are white or gray.

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 07:45:07 PM »
"found: piece of jewelry"

Better than my suggestion!

Some jewelers, especially if you explain the situation -- that you want to know if it is worth making the effort to find the original owner -- might tell you whether it is a real diamond for free.  Asking for an appraisal is another matter.
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, 08:44:40 PM »
Without equipment it is hard to tell.  If you know anyone who works at a jewelry store, you could ask them to test it, but wait till after the Christmas returns are over with.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Bubbles

• 07/C2 FFL/SOT
    • EFI, LLC
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011, 08:58:36 PM »
You'll definitely need a jeweler, as they can tell pretty quickly if it's glass, cubic zirconia, a man-made diamond, or a mined diamond.
EFI, LLC - 07 FFL / C2 SOT in Inwood, WV - Custom Firearms & Gunsmithing

Tank Vest - Molle Vest for Your Motorcycle Gas Tank

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2011, 09:02:51 PM »
If it's a cubic zirconia, they look more like a diamond than a real diamond does.  I've even tricked a jeweler with one by having it in a nicer setting than you'd use for a zircon.

I would post a "found" notice at the gym, and maybe notify the sheriff's dept. I don't trust the police dept.  Don't give to many details; make the claimant provide the details.  (especially don't post that it's a loose stone)  If some woman really lost the diamond out of her engagement ring, you'll get more karma points out of returning it than the thing is worth.  (otoh, finding and legally claiming a 2 CD diamond would be pretty sweet)
"It's good, though..."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2011, 10:40:14 PM »
Yep take it and ask a jeweler.  They'll have no problem telling you whether it's real or fake.  If real, it might have a serial# laser-etched into it, which will enable you to find the rightful owner.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2011, 10:53:03 PM »
Most pawn shops will also have a diamond tester.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2011, 10:57:33 PM »
I tried comparing it to my wife's wedding ring diamond, but that stone is so small that I can't make out any detail in it for comparison. I was in college when we were married, so it's a beautiful ring, but not much in the way of a stone.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2011, 01:30:12 AM »
It looks like you have done most of the things you are able to do. There may be one or two here you didn't try and can still do.

http://www.wikihow.com/Tell-if-a-Diamond-is-Real

Weighing it, if you have a scale may be an option. If it weighs out at 1/2 a carat or so it is probably fake.

Even if it is fake, some one may be looking for it because now that have a bare setting. I would still put up a sign without being too specific. You may want to have whoever shows up bring the setting it came out of with them. At least you will know they have a setting that needs a stone, if nothing else.  =|

bob

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2011, 02:24:40 AM »
I'm a bit more inclined now to think it may be real. I looked at it with a magnifier and I can see some black flecks in it. Not on the surface, but in the material. From what I've read cubic zirconia doesn't have flaws.

1. It scratches glass easily
2. It doesn't fog if I breathe on it
3. It doesn't have rainbow colors in it, although some glints do show a color cast
4. It has flaws in it

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2011, 07:06:51 AM »
Most pawn shops will also have a diamond tester.

This.  They can tell you in less time than it takes to ask the question.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2011, 10:17:40 AM »
Just give it to a woman.  She will let you know.................chris3 :O

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2011, 10:28:49 AM »
Not all women. My wife has never cared much about diamonds and can't tell the difference between real and fake, even when it's a bad fake.

I looked at a size chart for diamonds, and this is a 1 carat size. (.252" diameter). I also looked on Ebay to see roughly how much a 1 carat diamond sells for, and was seeing prices in the $2500 range. If that's correct, that's nuts. That's a ton of money for something with artificially inflated prices.

wmenorr67

• friend
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

erictank

• friends
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2011, 10:52:14 AM »
Not all women. My wife has never cared much about diamonds and can't tell the difference between real and fake, even when it's a bad fake.

I looked at a size chart for diamonds, and this is a 1 carat size. (.252" diameter). I also looked on Ebay to see roughly how much a 1 carat diamond sells for, and was seeing prices in the $2500 range. If that's correct, that's nuts. That's a ton of money for something with artificially inflated prices.

Depends greatly on the quality, AFAIK.  The Jewelry Exchange (national diamond wholesaler) advertises locally a 1C loose diamond (certified, but I don't recall what grade) for something like $1500-1800, IIRC. When I was buying wedding rings for self and wife a few years ago, the little jewelry shop had some stones that size for over $3K, graded well above the point where it was possible to see any flaws (that it, several steps beyond where they were detectable by the naked eye - one wonders what's the point in buying something that far past the point where you can't see the flaws since they're so tiny?).

IMO you'll have to take it in somewhere to get them to tell you whether it's real or fake - you've probably done all you can yourself on that front.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2011, 01:53:30 PM »
Real vs fake (eg zircon)
Or real vs artificial?

The latter is much more difficult

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2011, 03:01:20 PM »
What's the difference between real and artificial?

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2011, 03:04:36 PM »
Synthetic diamonds (also known as cultured diamonds or cultivated diamonds) are diamonds produced in a technological process; as opposed to natural diamonds, which are created by natural geological processes. Synthetic diamond is also widely known as HPHT diamond or CVD diamond, denoting the production method, High-Pressure High-Temperature synthesis and Chemical Vapor Deposition, respectively.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_diamond
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2011, 06:37:38 PM »
What's the difference between real and artificial?

If someone doesn't tell you which is which... none.

The price is about ten times lower for a cultured vs natural diamond.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 06:48:48 PM by Blakenzy »
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2011, 07:53:48 PM »
Yep take it and ask a jeweler.  They'll have no problem telling you whether it's real or fake. 

When you do, make sure you use a South African accent.....jewelers love that....

:D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.