Author Topic: telltale odometer?  (Read 3243 times)

geronimotwo

• friend
telltale odometer?
« on: February 10, 2012, 10:15:11 AM »
i am selling an '85 chevy van chassis.  i have it advertised as having 52,000 original miles (which i believe to be true but it is a 5 digit odometer).  one of the people looking at the van said that he could tell that it was actually 152000 because the numbers are just slightly below center in the odometer window.  he also told me that when it flips to 200k that the numbers will be slightly above center.  i have never heard of this.  any truth to it?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
Re: telltale odometer?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 10:19:07 AM »
My old trick to tell if it rolled over was to look at the wear on the gas and break pedal. Also where your heal sits on the floor.
It takes over a 100,000 miles to wear the rubber down heavily on the pedals.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 10:40:05 AM »
everything in this truck looks clean, so i have always believed the previous owner, and haven't put that many miles on it myself.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 10:45:11 AM »
I've seen odometer numbers above and below center on cars that are less than 100K. My Saturn has had both above and below numbers for years. My Harley has 60,000 miles on a new speedometer and the numbers aren't centered.

I'd suggest finding some old service receipts, but it sounds like you haven't had the truck long enough to make a convincing case for it having 52K.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 11:39:26 AM »
The numbers on those old odomoters didn't always line up exactly even on a completely legit and untampered odo.

Been a while since I drove those vintage vans, though (we have two in the family and I spent a couple of years driving them growing up but they are off the road now)

The mechanical condition and stuff like the rubber on the pedals will tell you the tale.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 12:05:28 PM »
again,  i am not argueing the actual miles on this van, just the odometer fact in general.  the third person to see the van gave me a deposit pending the the ability to raise the rest of the funds.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 01:25:04 PM »
No truth to it at all.

Mechanical odometers, especially older ones that have been through decades of extreme heat/cold cycles like those in a vehicle cabin, often have partial alignment problems.  It's a mechanical device with very rough gears and engagement dogs.  The person's assertion that the mileage isn't correct because of a perceived alignment issue is unfounded.

If the condition and general operation of the vehicle are in line with the indicated mileage then I don't see a problem.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 03:12:14 PM »
he was the second guy to come along, and was trying to use the extra 100k to badger the price.  ehh his loss.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 03:30:41 PM »
Odometers are not completely accurate. 
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 06:18:23 PM »
Odometers are not completely accurate.

Very true. Odometers and speedometers can vary from the real speed or mileage by 5-10%. I don't know if the law allows a certain amount of error.

The odometer on my motorcycle is off by 2.7%. I know this because I calibrated it using the mile markers whenever riding through Nebraska. There's nothing else to do when riding through that state.

Back when I was a teen, and selling a high-mileage car, I tried the old trick of hooking a drill up to the speedometer cable to turn the odometer back. The drill burned out before I was able to turn it back any significant amount.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 07:20:26 PM »
Previous comments are accurate.  Check the floor and look for carpet wear and wear on the pedals as a better indication of use, as previously stated.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 09:35:44 PM »
Very true. Odometers and speedometers can vary from the real speed or mileage by 5-10%. I don't know if the law allows a certain amount of error.

The odometer on my motorcycle is off by 2.7%. I know this because I calibrated it using the mile markers whenever riding through Nebraska. There's nothing else to do when riding through that state.

Back when I was a teen, and selling a high-mileage car, I tried the old trick of hooking a drill up to the speedometer cable to turn the odometer back. The drill burned out before I was able to turn it back any significant amount.

You need to put it on jackstands and run it in reverse. Preferably near an expensive glass house.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 11:24:03 PM »
You need to put it on jackstands and run it in reverse. Preferably near an expensive glass house.

:D Voice of experience here?

If I recall correctly, I was able to turn the odometer back 20-30K before the drill died. It was running for at least a day.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2012, 12:51:22 AM »

I bet you threw in a pair of moccasins to seal the deal.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2012, 01:10:56 AM »
I bet you threw in a pair of moccasins to seal the deal.

This was 1970. I threw in a pair of platform shoes. ;)

Sweet car, though. 1967 Buick LeSabre, really good condition. Gold with black vinyl top and cloth bench seats wide enough for adult(s) to lie on. :) I sold it for $500.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2012, 03:12:04 AM »

If I recall correctly, I was able to turn the odometer back 20-30K before the drill died. It was running for at least a day.

Actually need to be a Ferrari for that to work.  Dick, this is a reference to Ferris Bueller's Day Off.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2012, 08:12:14 AM »

lets see:  (cheap $10 drill) X  (remove 20-30k each drill) = a new car for less than $50!