Author Topic: Ten Creepiest Abandonded Cities  (Read 3007 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Ten Creepiest Abandonded Cities
« on: October 08, 2012, 11:34:36 AM »
I don't necessarily agree withe the article's headline about "creepy". Bodie is actually really cool. The one in Turkey looks quite large. The one in Taiwan could make a good Zombie Apocalypse hangout. Namibia should be titled "The Sands of Time".

http://www.gadling.com/2011/04/27/the-worlds-ten-creepiest-abandoned-cities/?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl4|sec3_lnk3|58888/

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Ten Creepiest Abandonded Cities
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 11:39:07 AM »
I don't necessarily agree withe the article's headline about "creepy". Bodie is actually really cool. The one in Turkey looks quite large. The one in Taiwan could make a good Zombie Apocalypse hangout. Namibia should be titled "The Sands of Time".

http://www.gadling.com/2011/04/27/the-worlds-ten-creepiest-abandoned-cities/?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl4|sec3_lnk3|58888/

I think the island in Nagaski would make the pimpest post-apocolyptic hang out. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 11:48:06 AM »
I think the island in Nagaski would make the pimpest post-apocolyptic hang out. 

I was looking at that one too. :)

I was wondering how many natural resources there are on that island (fresh water, arable land, etc.) and how much stuff the Japanese were hauling in on barges.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 12:13:19 PM »

Centralia shouldn't count. There are essentially no buildings.

http://revdisk.org/gallery/index.php/Travels/Centralia
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 01:47:19 PM »
How did Detroit not make the list?  ???
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 01:58:44 PM »
How did Detroit not make the list?  ???

Yeah, no kidding. "Creepy" would actually apply to some of the pics I've seen of abandoned parts of the city.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 03:37:12 PM »
Yeah, no kidding. "Creepy" would actually apply to some of the pics I've seen of abandoned parts of the city.

Creepy would actually apply to some of the places I've personally seen of the abandoned parts of the city.

I was there to watch a marathon before 2000. (Fortunately I wasn't too concerned about safety just after dawn on a Sunday morning.) It looked like the aftermath of a war.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 03:58:44 PM »
And of course Pripyat tops the list as expected. I hear the new enclosure is coming along. Giant arch structure that they will literally just roll over the top of the current sarcophagus of the Chernobyl #4 reactor. Be neat to tour that place (the city, not the sarcophagus, 300 Gr/h isn't my idea of fun.)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 04:41:26 PM »
And of course Pripyat tops the list as expected. I hear the new enclosure is coming along. Giant arch structure that they will literally just roll over the top of the current sarcophagus of the Chernobyl #4 reactor. Be neat to tour that place (the city, not the sarcophagus, 300 Gr/h isn't my idea of fun.)

Just put your lunch in there. It'll still be fresh when you come back from touring the town.  =D
I promise not to duck.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 04:48:09 PM »
Just put your lunch in there. It'll still be fresh when you come back from touring the town.  =D

And it'll be warm
"It's good, though..."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 09:23:15 PM »
Sanzhi in Taiwan, the one Ben pictured, for some reason reminds me of Miranda from Serenity. That just creeps the *expletive deleted*it out of me.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 10:16:42 PM »
Sanzhi in Taiwan, the one Ben pictured, for some reason reminds me of Miranda from Serenity. That just creeps the *expletive deleted* out of me.

It does have a certain 'cool factor', doesn't it?   :cool:
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 11:01:26 PM »
Centralia shouldn't count. There are essentially no buildings.

http://revdisk.org/gallery/index.php/Travels/Centralia

It's also not abandoned. It still has residents.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 11:15:25 PM »
One of these days I want to get out to Centralia Pa and check it out. Its only about 2 hours away. I think there are some abandoned sections of the PA turnpike out that way that are supposed to be interesting.
Any APS'ers been there?
Another item on my list is this viaduct that was actually close to where I grew up but never explored.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delaware_River_Viaduct
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 11:39:09 PM »

By no small coincidence, there needs to be a high-quality, decently-funded TV series based off of the Stalker universe.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2012, 11:45:29 PM »
By no small coincidence, there needs to be a high-quality, decently-funded TV series based off of the Stalker universe.

This. The Stalker games would make for an awesome backdrop and plotline for a (well-done) series.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2012, 11:46:10 PM »

Absolutely! The current games and books are insufficient for my STALKER needs.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2012, 12:11:58 AM »
Y'all come on out to New Mexico sometime. The very low humidity preserves nearly everything.

We've got ghost towns out the wazoo.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2012, 12:15:46 AM »
Some speculated that the resort was built on a Dutch burial ground while others attributed the misfortunes to a dragon statue destroyed during construction.

I found that hysterically funny for some reason.  Here, it would be an Indian burial ground.  In Taiwan, the boogeyman that terrifies little Taiwanese children in the dark is The Dutch.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2012, 08:38:55 AM »
Y'all come on out to New Mexico sometime. The very low humidity preserves nearly everything.

We've got ghost towns out the wazoo.

One of my favorite past times when living in AZ and UT was checking out ghost towns.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2012, 10:31:29 AM »
Sanzhi in Taiwan, the one Ben pictured, for some reason reminds me of Miranda from Serenity. That just creeps the *expletive deleted* out of me.

Funny.  My first thought was I hate apartment designs like that.  If you aren't in the one facing the water, the view sucks.  I would especially not like the one that face right in on another apartment.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

slugcatcher

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2012, 12:43:16 PM »
I found that hysterically funny for some reason.  Here, it would be an Indian burial ground.  In Taiwan, the boogeyman that terrifies little Taiwanese children in the dark is The Dutch.

The terrifiying clip-clop of wooden shoes behind you every time you take a step.....

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2012, 12:58:16 PM »
One of these days I want to get out to Centralia Pa and check it out. Its only about 2 hours away. I think there are some abandoned sections of the PA turnpike out that way that are supposed to be interesting.
Any APS'ers been there?
Another item on my list is this viaduct that was actually close to where I grew up but never explored.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delaware_River_Viaduct

RevDisk would be more then happy to take you there.....Getting you back however, is another story....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.