Author Topic: Ten Weirdly Themed Restaurants  (Read 833 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Ten Weirdly Themed Restaurants
« on: July 27, 2013, 10:13:27 AM »
As to #1, I think Taiwan is trying to capture the "WTF?" title from Japan.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/07/24/worlds-10-strangest-theme-restaurants/?intcmp=features
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Re: Ten Weirdly Themed Restaurants
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 10:34:11 AM »
I liked "H.R. Giger Bar- Various Locations, Switzerland". As soon as I saw it I thought "Alien" No big surprise when I found out whose art it was modeled after.

"Buns & Guns - Beirut, Lebanon" looks interesting.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 10:35:53 AM »
I've long suspected that part and parcel of the modern restaurant/bistro/nightclub biz is constant change.  It's like a standard business plan:  "Do" one decor to attract titillation-seeking customers, then, when patronage drops off (seems like about a year, average), close up, redecorate, change "theme," or sell out (probably tax advantages there), and "do" another with a different "exciting" theme to re-titillate the fun-seekers.  
:facepalm:

The few constant hangers-on seem to be Italian restaurants and the little diners that serve good ole home-cookin' style food with HTG gravy and also what I call "chop shops."  You know, steaks and chops and maybe sometimes with a bar --not the chop shops that involve vehicles.

Yup.

Red-checkered tablecloths and good ribeye steaks.

That's the ticket.

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 10:40:20 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 02:56:36 PM »
I think Taiwan raped the phrase "WTF, Japan?" and birthed The Modern Toliet. Sitting on crappers is one thing, but even my open mindedness and willingness to be weird shuts down at poop shaped soft serve in a mini toliet bowl and drinks serves in mini urinals.

I don't think the Red Sea Star was all that weird. In fact, I think that is really cool.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 04:30:15 PM »
Me said,

I've long suspected that part and parcel of the modern restaurant/bistro/nightclub biz is constant change.  It's like a standard business plan:  "Do" one decor to attract titillation-seeking customers, then, when patronage drops off (seems like about a year, average), close up, redecorate, change "theme," or sell out (probably tax advantages there), and "do" another with a different "exciting" theme to re-titillate the fun-seekers.

Here I am a couple of hours later and it dawned on me that that sounds like that big software company....
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 12:07:40 AM »
I liked "H.R. Giger Bar- Various Locations, Switzerland". As soon as I saw it I thought "Alien" No big surprise when I found out whose art it was modeled after.

"Buns & Guns - Beirut, Lebanon" looks interesting.

I have a friend I chat with that lives in Lebanon, I'll ask him if he's been there and how good  the food is.

Nope he said he never been there.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 02:06:46 PM by Gowen »
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 01:13:49 PM »
I'm surprised Hitler Fried Chicken in Thailand didn't make the list.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 01:18:42 PM »
I'm surprised Hitler Fried Chicken in Thailand didn't make the list.
Nothing more brilliant than naming a chicken restaurant after a genocidal vegetarian. Wonder if they serve juice?