Author Topic: Tempest in Hawaii  (Read 4125 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Tempest in Hawaii
« on: September 12, 2013, 06:27:02 AM »
Thought I would share this with you just to put in perspective your concept of how terribly wrong things are going.

http://www.kitv.com/news/hawaii/mckinley-statue-controversy-brewing/-/8905354/21875864/-/6jewea/-/index.html

HONOLULU — A century-old bronze statue of President William McKinley is making waves in some circles in the native Hawaiian community.

"What you have depicted on that scroll in his right hand, is not correct," said Keanu Sai, a lecturer at Windward Community College.

McKinley is holding a treaty of annexation. But Sai says that's historically inaccurate.

Others call the the statue inappropriate, and a fraud.
A group of Hawaiians advised him of plans of an annual protest on Presidents Day.

http://www.mckinley.k12.hi.us/history.html

....A statue of President McKinley was commissioned for $8,000. Completed in New York, the bronze eight-ton statue was shipped to Honolulu and dedicated on February 23, 1911.   ....

\Lemme see here  1911 to 2013 is, umm, wait a second, I'll figure it out - - OK, got it!  It's 102 yeears!

And suddenly there is a kerfuffle brewing that may turn into an annual protest?

Things must be doing exceptionally well in paradise if this is what has got their feathers all ruffled.

stay saafe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Tempest in Hawaii
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 07:22:25 AM »
If some country did today what we did to hawaii then we would go to war over it.

damn phone
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Tempest in Hawaii
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 08:24:34 AM »
If some country did today what we did to hawaii then we would go to war over it.

damn phone
And if some country did today what we did to the Indians the UN would issue a very strongly worded letter and send in blanket inspectors.

What's your point?
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 08:38:41 AM »

damn phone

Judgeing historical events with modern ethics and morals is douchebaggery at it's finest.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 08:56:59 AM »
And if some country did today what we did to the Indians the UN would issue a very strongly worded letter and send in blanket inspectors.

What's your point?

Good point. We should send smallpox tainted blankets to the UN building posthaste.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Levant

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 09:05:35 AM »

damn phone

Doesn't happen often but we're in complete agreement here.

But we can't undo it.  Or can we?  The Soviet Union gave up its conquered states.
NEOKShooter on GRM
Republicans: The other Democratic Party

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 09:12:10 AM »

But we can't undo it.  Or can we?  The Soviet Union gave up its conquered states.
And the justification for this is?
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 09:51:15 AM »

I think they already got their revenge by giving us Obama  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 09:53:14 AM »

Would help us get rid of California! >:D
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 09:54:17 AM »
I think they already got their revenge by giving us Obama  =(

That's no shizer!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 10:03:11 AM »
Judgeing historical events with modern ethics and morals is douchebaggery at it's finest.

Taking someone over through force or subversion is a fairly timeless "dick" move.

Spelling "Judging" incorrectly, however, is douchebaggery at its finest.

So is putting an apostrophe in "its" in the context of "its finest."
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 10:12:05 AM »
The Melian Dialog explains timeless realities, no matter how soft-headed we have become.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 12:23:16 PM »
How about we ship more homeless to Hawai'i instead?  They can all sleep at the foot of the statue on President's Day (To keep the 12 protesters at bay).
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 12:34:03 PM »

And you think that Hawaii would willingly leave the Union? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

• friends
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 09:01:26 PM »
you fantasize that no other country would want hawaii?
http://www.uhero.hawaii.edu/assets/JapaneseInvest.pdf
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2013, 04:06:24 AM »
Much as the natives complain, I can't see them preferring Japan over the US.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2013, 08:45:20 AM »
 "the other side of the fence" rules don't apply?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2013, 11:39:32 AM »
"the other side of the fence" rules don't apply?

Unless they're ethnic Japanese yeah. Japan (and China and Korea for that matter) have highly insular cultures that make the most stereotypical "dam furriners took our jerbs" American seem like hippy love fests in comparison.

• friends
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2013, 02:07:13 PM »
Unless they're ethnic Japanese yeah. Japan (and China and Korea for that matter) have highly insular cultures that make the most stereotypical "dam furriners took our jerbs" American seem like hippy love fests in comparison.

but politely

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2013, 09:18:18 PM »
And you think that Hawaii would willingly leave the Union? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

There was quite the active secession movement among native Hawaiians when I was stationed there in the '70s.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

• friends
Re: Re: Re: Tempest in Hawaii
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2013, 06:30:34 AM »
There was quite the active secession movement among native Hawaiians when I was stationed there in the '70s.
more active now

damn phone

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2013, 08:07:52 AM »
According to a correspondent of mine, a highly educated native Hawaiian, some of them (natives, like him) just want to go back to the Kingdom, without any real idea of what's to be done after that. 

Let's face it, aboriginal life in most of the Pacific was pretty easy.  You reach up in a tree for food you fish in the ocean for fish, fresh water was usually available, no real need for brick-and-mortar shelter, no need for much beyond the proverbial "grass skirt" for raiment.  Probably the biggest worries were volcanoes, hurricanes, and the "Bloombergs*" of the next Island over wanting your Island.

No traffic, no debates over a new rail line up your Island, no "work," no pollution, no noise...

Not bad, eh?  I wouldn't mind that myself.

I suspect the "kerfuffle" is just an example of left-wing agitators having found something "new" to cause hate and discontent about.  Standard operating procedure for left-wing agitators.  Churn up the people with bullhorns and slogans.  Get them "trained" for future protests, desptie the triviality of the present new "cause."

Jes' ramblin' before my coffee is ready this rainy AM in Colorado.

Terry

* Read "petty tyrants" if you prefer.

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2013, 05:42:22 PM »
Maybe Hawaii seceding will be the precursor to the "great divorce" longeyes was always going on about. I give it about as much chance of actually happening...  :rofl: